Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Peerless 2300 Limited Slip Differentials?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:30 PM

I already posted this in another thread "MF12 hydro limited slip" in the massey forum but wanted to start a new thread as the peerless 2300 transaxles where used in several different makes.

I have a peerless 2300 4 speed trans-axle from a square fender JD112 that I believe has a limited slip differential. The reason I think it may be a limited slip is that there is a metal tag on it with the letters L S D stamped into it. I know I have read or heard about an optional limited slip 2300 but I can't remember when or where. I wish I had pulled it apart to look inside and compare it to a regular 2300 but I was in a hurry to get it installed in my mf12, I needed the tractor to plow a garden. After I got it installed I did block both front wheels, jack up only the left rear wheel and put it in gear to see what would happen. To my surprise the one wheel turned freely with the other on the ground, not turning. I'm wondering if there needs to be some resistance on both wheels for the "limited slip" to work. I have plowed with the tractor a couple times with this trans and it does seem to have improved traction. When plowing virgin ground with grass or weeds I would usually have to put tire chains on the left wheel (right wheel down in the furrow gets good traction) but it hasn't been necessary since the trans swap. I was able to "spin out" only the left wheel one time but there was very little traction on that wheel, the right wheel was in a furrow and the left hit a very slick spot. I just backed up a little, hit it again and it walked right through.

DSC02372.JPG DSC02373.JPG DSC02374.JPG

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:37 PM

I know they used the limited slip Trans-axle in some of the JDs but how you tell them apart I don't know???
I also heard that they do not function as a normal limited slip diff. like you find in a cars diff.

We need a JD expert here.

Edited by DH1, April 22, 2012 - 07:38 PM.

• broken2 said thank you

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:42 PM

The JD square fender 112 with factory hydraulics had a limited slip peerless 2300 in them. it would have a tag with a spec number of 2317, it was the only peerless 2300 to be limited slip.
  • broken2, MH81 and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Being this is limited slip are you going to get revenge on that big root lol :laughingteeth:

#5 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 08:50 PM

The JD square fender 112 with factory hydraulics had a limited slip peerless 2300 in them. it would have a tag with a spec number of 2317, it was the only peerless 2300 to be limited slip.

That's exactly the tractor I got this from. It had a hh100 tecumseh and hydraulic lift. The hydraulic pump was mounted on top of the engine and belt driven from the crankshaft. That was the reason I bought the tractor, I would like to mount the hydraulics on my mf12g. I bought it from a kid that was trying to make a "racing tractor' out or it!? He had it all messed up so I didn't mind dissecting it. It did have the #2317 on it also. I think it had a spot cast in the case made to look like a tag and had the # stamped into it but i can't remember it clearly. Thanks so much for the info, I'm gonna keep my eye's open for these trannys/tractors from now on.

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 08:55 PM

That's exactly the tractor I got this from. It had a hh100 tecumseh and hydraulic lift. The hydraulic pump was mounted on top of the engine and belt driven from the crankshaft. That was the reason I bought the tractor, I would like to mount the hydraulics on my mf12g. I bought it from a kid that was trying to make a "racing tractor' out or it!? He had it all messed up so I didn't mind dissecting it. It did have the #2317 on it also. I think it had a spot cast in the case made to look like a tag and had the # stamped into it but i can't remember it clearly. Thanks so much for the info, I'm gonna keep my eye's open for these trannys/tractors from now on.

No problem on the info. I didn't know myself. I just love to search the Net and get info for people. So I was just the middle man lol.

#7 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Being this is limited slip are you going to get revenge on that big root lol :laughingteeth:

I'm at the very least going to be a lot more careful with this tractor, might take some weight off. The regular 2300's can be found easily, this one could be hard to replace. Maybe I'll go back for that *@#%'n root with my dads Oliver 77

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:50 PM

I'm at the very least going to be a lot more careful with this tractor, might take some weight off. The regular 2300's can be found easily, this one could be hard to replace. Maybe I'll go back for that *@#%'n root with my dads Oliver 77

LOL! @ the going back with the Oliver. And yea it prob is harder to find another limited slip one.

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:55 PM

I found this article about plowing on the net.
http://www.soil.ncsu...nd Traction.pdf
Among other things it talks traction and how much slippage is enough. The theory or adage is that no slippage is as bad as too much slippage. Of course, in your case, with the root driving the tractor down, it might not have mattered how much weight was on your rear tires.

Edited by HowardsMF155, April 22, 2012 - 09:57 PM.

• broken2 said thank you

#10 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 10:17 PM

I found this article about plowing on the net.
http://www.soil.ncsu...%20Traction.pdf
Among other things it talks traction and how much slippage is enough. The theory or adage is that no slippage is as bad as too much slippage. Of course, in your case, with the root driving the tractor down, it might not have mattered how much weight was on your rear tires.

I just read the part on traction. that is quiet the book. literally they have it down to a science. Thanks for the book, It sure is interesting reading :thumbs:

#11 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 11:41 AM

im going to look in my peerless manual book. see what i can find

#12 Ron White OFFLINE  

Ron White

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 267
  • 123 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 01:24 PM

Here is some good info to have on Peerless trans-axles.

http://www.odref.com...RIES/index.html
  • broken2 said thank you

#13 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 11:16 AM

From what I have read the LSD version of the 2300 like you have were problematic early on and when they went bad they were replaced with the standard parts. My intial response to your question was thinking the transaxle you have was rebuilt with standard parts some time in its past history.
  • broken2 said thank you