• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hello Guys, new member here. I been lurking for a while but I now have a question or two I would like to ask. I have old 1220 I am thinking about getting back in operation again. I bought 3 old tractors that have been sitting unused for about 25 years. A 1220 and old 1000 Bolens that is mostly parts and a 68 Wheel Horse Raider 10 with a Wheel horse sickle bar. After a few days of tinkering with the 1220 I have it started and running somewhat. But when I put it in gear it did not move. I didnt take long to discover I needed the pin in the right rear hub. So I found the pin in my old 1000 parts tractor and installed it. That got me moving. But my question is should I be able to tighten the diff lock on the left side hub and make the tractor pull with the pin out or does the pin have to be installed to make the tractor drive? Also when I tighten the lock knob all the way with the rear wheels off the ground the left wheel still spins free like the lock isnt doing anything. I think the rear end is going to need some work as there is a lot of play ( rocks side to side ) in the right rear wheel as well. I am trying to make up my mind if I want to put time and money into fixing this old tractor up or not. It has a deck and a snow plow with the hydro lift kit. But needs new front tires and its looking like it may need an engine rebuild as its smoking pretty bad and slobbers some oil out of it when it runs. I did changed the oil and it helped quite a bit but I havent run it much yet. Its not much to look it either but that isnt important to me as I kinda like the rusty weathered look. Are there any engines that would make a good replacement for the one it came with ?
Thanks for any help you may have to offer. I know you guys love pics so I tried to includ a few.
Jack..

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens tractor junk 001.JPG
  • Bolens tractor junk 005.JPG
  • Bolens tractor junk 002.JPG

• BolensG10man said thank you

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 04:41 PM

nice load. NA the front tires are mint (cough) (junk) (cough) your best bet for tires are carslisle turf savers 4 ply and for the engine it depends what you want to do if it was me i would try to find the same engine (i think Tecumseh hh120) found in sears / masey / and on tractors just run the engine and let it break back in if they sit the rings will get stuck and they smoke or just run heavy oil or a oil additive or do a repower with a newer engine just keep in mind that alot of bolens tractor 12 hp or higher have 1 1/8 crank shafts or use a wisconsin engine there is so many options in the engine department i think you are able to tighten the axles up and MR bolens should be able to tell you .... and yes it is worth fixing up a old tractor that old bolens tractor will out perform any modern day tractor EVER PERIOD
cheers
8tyman8

Edited by 8tyman8, April 22, 2012 - 04:42 PM.

• Jack and BolensG10man have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 04:51 PM

Be sure to check out our manuals section as there are parts lists and service manuals available to download.

The pin always has to be in for the tractor to move.
It sounds like the rear axle end play needs to be adjusted, Be sure to do this adjustment with both the rear wheels off the ground.

Here is a manual that covers the steps required to adjust the end play: http://gardentractor...lay-adjustment/

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 06:53 PM

First of all..... :welcometogttalk:

That 1220 looks like it's well worth putting a little time and effort into getting it running properly.

The smoking from the engine may just be stuck rings. Adding a little Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas and running it for awhile may help that.

The hydro lift on it is a really nice and sought after add on as well. It sure makes lifting things like tillers and snowblowers a lot easier than using the original manual lift handle.

Another thing to consider is that the Haban Sickle-Mo that you have for that Wheel Horse will also work on the 1220. Like the hydro lift kit, those Sickle-Mos are very desirable.

Edited by OldBuzzard, April 22, 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#5 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:20 PM

welcome jack you're in good hands :thumbs:

#6 gbrown OFFLINE  

gbrown

• Member No: 8021
  • 20 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:22 PM

I'm new to the hobby and the site myself but thought I'd say :welcometogttalk:

I'll reaffirm what's already been said- definitely worth fixing up! I have a 1050 and love it. If you spend some time on this site, between the manuals section and the knowledgeable members, you'll soon be a pro at this. Good luck. :smile1:
  • Jack said thank you

#7 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 09:56 PM

I really want to thank you guys for the warm welcome and the quick replies to my tech questions. I have already learned a lot from the manuals I found here. I was hopeing you guys would say go for because that is what I really wanted to hear. I will post some of my progress if and when I make any. and I am sure I will have lots more questions. Thanks again guys. :thumbs:

Jack..

#8 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 10:08 PM

Hey Jack..glad u found this site. Great bunch of folks here. Got any questions? ask them. Got any answers? Post them. That's what it's all about. garden tractor people helping out.

That's a fine tractor u got there. well worth the fix. aux hydraulic is a cool feature. Hard to find
:welcometogttalk:

Edited by JBBR, April 22, 2012 - 10:08 PM.

• Jack said thank you

#9 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 11:30 PM

It's good to hear that you are going to keep that 1220 :thumbs:

If you decide that you want to use that Sickle-Mo with it, you can see what I did to get the "Wheel Horse" Sickle-Mo to work with a Bolens tube frame here:
http://gardentractor...__fromsearch__1

It's really very easy.

A Sickle-Mo will be handy if you have areas that you can't get to with a push mower and/or a weed whacker. It's especially good for cutting rough areas and heavy grass/weeds/light brush(up to 1.25" in dia.), and in places like ditches and pond banks.

Not to mention that it's just a cool attachment that you don't see too often :D :D :D

Here's a short vid of mine in action mowing a ditch in the front of the house.
=

#10 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 11:37 PM

Ok Jack, Go for it!!!!! :dancingbanana: Hope that helps. And also welcome to GTT.

#11 BolensG10man OFFLINE  

BolensG10man
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 51184
  • 37 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 10:21 AM

Did you ever get them fixed up?

#12 BolensChrisUK OFFLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • Member No: 77828
  • 287 Thanks