Garden Tractor Forums banner

My 1958 Deluxe Ride-A-Matic Restoration Page

17K views 112 replies 17 participants last post by  Bolens 1000 
#1 ·
I will only post my restoration pics and videos on this topic page.

To start out with I bought my 1958 Ride A Matic last October for $112. Many people thought I had lost my marbles when I told them getting it running wouldn't be a problem. The engine turned freely and had great compression. The gas tank had about 1/2" of varnish but I was lucky because the owner who parked it last turned off the gas so the fuel line and carb were dry. It didn't have any spark so I replaced the condensor and it fired right up. I then went ahead and ordered a new magneto and points from marks magneto and she usually starts first pull. I keep in contact with the former owners family since they were very interested in the restoration.

Here is some information about the owner and tractors history from his daughter

"Dad's name is Kenneth M****r. Dad was born in the Bethel area and mostly grew up in the Goshen area. Dad and Mom bought the property in Loveland after he was discharged from World War II. When they bought that property there was a small house and the barn on it. Where you parked your truck when you came to pick up the tractor was where the old house used to be. We had it torn down about 2 years ago as Dad had rented it for many years after he had the house in back of the barn built in the early 60s. They owned about 5 or 6 acres, as the property line goes way back beyond the house and most all of that land was a garden in those days. As Mom and Dad got older, they put out a smaller garden up close to the barn. We didn't have much money but we always ate well because of the good food from the garden and Mom was a wonderful cook. Those were the good old days even though we didn't think so at the time."

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive wheel system Auto part
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Road surface Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Tread
Gas Metal Auto part Soil Steel
Fluid Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Tints and shades
Chair Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Plastic
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wood
Helmet Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wood
Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Wood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Plant Grass Automotive tire Agriculture Groundcover
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Plant
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice Ride A Matic you got there! Thanks for the story and the pictures, that was nice reading! Also Good luck with your restoration. Oh an done more thing, It's funny how people can't see the Diamond in the rough like we can, people do that to be all the time, all they can see is a pile of rusty junk, then they see it after I am done and are so blown away that it is the same machine.

#7 ·
You are so right though (joking aside) I just love the old stuff, they had style and class back then. Not just some stamped out piece of tin from a robotic production line. These were made with pride, from the hands of real people, back in a day when quality was more important than quantity. Good luck with it and thanks again for the great pics and videos

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
$112 is a heck of a deal on your Ride-a-matic and it even has implements.
I'll enjoy watching your restoration on this.

I just realized from reading your post that it has a Kohler engine.
I always assumed they had the Wisconsin engines like the Ridemasters before them and the Tube frames after them.
Learn something new all the time. .......

Reactions: antiquetractors
#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just realized from reading your post that it has a Kohler engine.
I always assumed they had the Wisconsin engines like the Ridemasters before them and the Tube frames after them.
Learn something new all the time. .......
They offered two engines, a K90 and the K160 like I have, for the 56-58. I personally think the old kohler engines are the best for the small GT. I have a wisconsin AKN motor and it is great but the size difference is the only downfall for a small GT like the ride a matic.

#21 ·
Time for another update. I picked up a sleeve hitch adapter from rays mower shop. Great bunch to deal with!
The motor is still at the machine shop. The engine is finished but the crank is still being worked on, They say I should have it early next week.

Here is a pic of the NOS sleeve hitch

Wood Font Door handle Rectangle Chair
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Attachments

#24 ·
I got the motor back from the machine shop. It is now spec'd to a k161. I hope to have her up and running again on Thursday, I am picking a a blasting cabinet on Friday to start stripping all the parts down and getting it ready for paint!

I can't wait!

Wood Circle Gas Metal Macro photography
Automotive lighting Audio equipment Automotive engine gasket Gas Automotive wheel system

Attachments

#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I think what you are hearing are the hit and miss engines that were all around me. There were 3 running just a few feet from my tractor. The kohler runs perfectly.

As for yours it sounds like a coil issue. Did you replace any of the ignition system? I have a john deere 112 with a k301 that would pop and crack under load and high rpm. Once I replaced the coil it ran perfectly again.

edit- it really sounds to me like the early signs of a coil going bad, does it get worse as the engine gets hot or does it stay they same?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.