• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 03:18 PM

I think this came up a few months back but what size wire do you guys usually run when you rewire up your gts'. A while back I was having problems in the switch on the 104, Basically where the wires & plug went together were rotted out and crackin, got that fixed, redone the voltage reg, - star/gen done. Since I'm waiting on the head to get back from the machine shop and got a lil time I took the old harness out, it was in bad shape , oh yeah the po had done a few things to it that I had to fix, I was wondering what size ahould run the batt. wires in, I'm usin the gas % oil resistant 10 awg, maybe a lil much but uts what I had. I WOULD LIKE TO USE SOMTHING A LIL BIGGER ON THE BATT. CABLES. sorry bout the caps

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 03:26 PM

For battery cables bigger is better. anything form 6 gauge to 4/0, I think I usually use something like 6 or 8 gauge myself.

#3 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 03:33 PM

eah thats what I was thinkin , when I said bigger I meant somthing bigger then what came from the factory. I did pick up a few of them copper lug trminals for them.

#4 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 04:13 PM

I use battery cables out of old cars. If it's good enough to turn over a 350 Chevy at -30* F, it should be good enough for a GT engine at -30* F.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 05:20 PM

I recently replaced the cables on my 314. I went to the auto parts store and bought the smallest cables they had which are still way bigger than what was on it. I think they are 4 gauge but I'm not sure. They were cheap. Less than 10$ for 15" length I needed with nice terminals on the ends.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 05:52 PM

Most auto parts stores carry them in 4 AWG. I usually make my own. I have a lot of old 6 AWG, THHN wire in red and black. That should be fine for any GT application, but like Chris said, bigger is always better when it comes to battery cables. use the 6 AWG because it's what I have at hand. It's good for up to 60 amps in conduit, 100 amps in free air. I figure that under a hood is somewhere in between those LOL. That's a continuous rating BTW. You should never see more than a surge when starting that even approaches that.

#7 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,156 Thanks
  • 1,159 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 06:31 PM

There is a diagram of starter generator trouble shooting in an earlier posthttp://gardentractor...__fromsearch__1t.The second download has the size of wiring b/s recommends

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 06:53 PM

I rewired the Caterpillar with 12 gauge on all circuits and 10 gauge on the car alternator circuit. Then for the starter and battery cables I used 4 gauge battery cable. The standard size was 6 gauge. Now when I turn the key it cranks like crazy!! Good luck, don't fry any magnetos!!

#9 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:31 PM

I've got a couple old ground wires from old trucks I've had I thought about using , I noticed both the ground and neg batt. wires had several bare spots in them, I've been telling myself I was gonna go ahead and finish rewiring it but kept puttin it off. lol I have no excuse now but to do it. the main reason was I wanted to get the old harnesss out b4 I finished it up. Hopefully it'll turn over a lil faster now, it was kinda sluggish / slow turnin. lol we'll see. thanks everyone