• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dannyjo OFFLINE  

dannyjo

• Member No: 691
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 23, 2010 - 12:18 PM

Hi, first time here. Found this forum and figured I could get an answer here. Don't own a Tractor but have a generator for hurricane season (live in south Florida) which has not been started for 3 years. It's a PowerBoss 5250 Watt with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Should I change the oil before starting it. The gas was run out of it the last time it ran and it has sat in ther garage all this time, so of course it was very hot in there. I am open to all suggestions.

I don't own a Tractor but my wife woks at Tractor Supply and I play country music (guitar and piano/keyboards) so i don't feel totally unqualified to be here. Thanks in advance.

Danny

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,269 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 23, 2010 - 12:27 PM

Hi Danny,
Welcome to GTtalk. If the carb was run completely dry before storage you may be alright without cleaning it. I would change the oil before starting it if it were mine. Especially if it is used oil that is in it. Oil breaks down over time, which is why when they say about oil changes being 3,000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first. I think this has changed over the years especially with the newer synthetics but that is topic for a whole other discussion. I would change the oil, put some fresh gas in it and see if it will fire off.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,269 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 23, 2010 - 12:28 PM

I think if you hang around long enough you may end up finding yourself having an old gt following you home one day. After the first one it spreads like a disease LOL.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,345 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 23, 2010 - 01:36 PM

:welcometogttalk:
Danny,glad to have you here.

#5 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 704 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted June 23, 2010 - 01:36 PM

Welcome Danny........Just to be on the safe side, change the oil.....cheap insurance.....I would suggest starting it every few months, just so you know it works.....better than hoping when you really need it......

OH, and get a tractor.......LOL

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,219 Thanks
  • 29,984 posts

Posted June 23, 2010 - 01:49 PM

Welcome Danny! As far as I'm concerned, a friendly attitude is enough to qualify being a GTT member. You have an engine, and it could be placed in a garden tractor...right!
Yes, change the oil, and drain the fuel tank if there's any old gas in it. Plus, when putting fuel in the tank, being it may sit a spell, put in an additive such as "Sta-Bil" to keep it fresher. I do in my genset & never have problems, even with fuel as old as 6 months.
I usually start mine once/month & run till it reaches full temps , then a bit longer. This will purge moisture that may have built up inside the engine block.

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,946 Thanks
  • 17,309 posts

Posted June 23, 2010 - 03:13 PM

Welcome to GTT Danny!:welcometogttalk:

:ditto: The above posts

#8 Rick OFFLINE  

Rick

Tractorholic

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted June 24, 2010 - 08:47 AM

I think changing the oil is a good idea also,maybe even a drop or two of oil down the cylinder wouldn't hurt being it sat for that long.