Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Ubuntu 12.04

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 07:55 PM

I've got an old, old dell laptop (P4 512MB) that I have been trying to get a debian distro to run on. I use this laptop in the shop to view PDF and connect to the internet and if it dies no big deal.

I had Crunchbang loaded and running but then someone decided to change the repositories without saying anything so when I tried to get a new app and updates I was out in the cold. Well I decided to try XUbuntu I used the alternate installer and I'm now happy to report it is up and running. I'm in the process of installing and configuring it for the shop

#32 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 08:12 PM

I've got an old, old dell laptop (P4 512MB) that I have been trying to get a debian distro to run on. I use this laptop in the shop to view PDF and connect to the internet and if it dies no big deal.

I had Crunchbang loaded and running but then someone decided to change the repositories without saying anything so when I tried to get a new app and updates I was out in the cold. Well I decided to try XUbuntu I used the alternate installer and I'm now happy to report it is up and running. I'm in the process of installing and configuring it for the shop

Very nice. I have been using Xubuntu all night since I got home. Been doing a lot of configuring on the server to do some more testing and it is just as easy to do it from the linux desktop as the windows desktop.

So far so good and I am glad you got Xubuntu loaded up on the laptop :D
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#33 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 08:33 AM

Since there are several members using Ubuntu or a off shoot of it, I thought I would pass along this article on Backup app available through the software manager.

http://www.thegeekst...ubuntu-desktop/

#34 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 11:43 AM

I've noticed a couple of bug's with Xubuntu testing it. Using Thundor the default file manager if you click on network and then click on the window's network Icon it crashes and then sends a report. Also when it shuts down it doesn't shut down all the way, usually leaves the Xubuntu startup screen up. Anyone experience the same issues?

#35 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 07:08 PM

Are you still using Xubuntu on the laptop Bill?

I have been using my Xubuntu desktop a good bit, more then I thought I would. I have all of the shares from the home Nas setup in my fstab to auto mount on boot and I have my filezilla and terminal windows to connect to the server so that is pretty much all I need.

#36 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 10:23 PM

Are you still using Xubuntu on the laptop Bill?

I have been using my Xubuntu desktop a good bit, more then I thought I would. I have all of the shares from the home Nas setup in my fstab to auto mount on boot and I have my filezilla and terminal windows to connect to the server so that is pretty much all I need.

Yep, I sure am. I have most everything setup and it is now back in the shop but I still have a couple of things I would like to do. I'm really surprised it runs as well as it does on that old machine. I read in a review on Distrowatch that Ubuntu 12.04 can backup files to Ubuntu one so I want to see if Xubuntu can do the same. It said Deja Dup was already setup to do it.

I loaded Ubuntu 12.04 tonight on my test machine. The installation went flawlessly so over the next week or so I'll play with it and see how well it preforms. The Distrowatch Review gave it pretty good marks. They did mention a performance difference between Unity 3D & 2D with 2D being the better, go figure. :) I haven't really taken a look at Unity so I'll give it a shot and see how I like it.

#37 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 03:25 PM

i got rid of unity and ubuntu altogether. i tried the gnome shell and it was to restrictive for me. i like to change things and found i couldnt do what i wanted. i loaded Lubuntu yesterday and im able to change what i want. ill give Lubuntu a go for a while and see how things go and may even try Xubuntu for a while. thats the great thing about Linux that i like.

#38 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 05:54 PM

Well I think my test machine is dieing. I keeps wanting to reboot and when make changes in the bios they don't stick. I'm going to try and replace the battery first.

DS: I liked Lubuntu when I had it loaded on the test box but I couldn't find a wallpaper changer I like that would run in LXDE. I'm currently using Zorn Ultimate which I have modified the OSX interface to what I like and now I just have a hard time to want to change it.