• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 10:52 AM

I got Ubuntu 12.04 setup on my main machine on the second hard drive for dual boot. I have to setup ssh keys so I can connect to the site's server while using Ubuntu and then I might start using it as my main desktop. There are a couple of things I don't care about and it primarily has to do with the whole gnome 3.

I did try installing Fedora 17 beta but it won't recognize my second hard drive because the bios is set to use AHCI for the SSD hard drive. For some reason though ubuntu reads it fine.

#17 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 12:57 PM

George if you don't like gnome 3, install another desktop or try another flavor of Ubuntu. I'm installing Lubuntu 12 on my OLD OLD laptop as I'm typing this. I sure hope it will run.

#18 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 06:17 PM

Ya, I think I am going to try a different one. I am not into the KDE desktop either. I always did like XFCE though so maybe I will give Xubuntu a shot.

I do like debian based distros though because I think the aptitude package manager is the best one out of all of them. Especially from a command line but I guess all of them have come a long way.

#19 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 06:30 PM

George if you don't like gnome 3, install another desktop or try another flavor of Ubuntu. I'm installing Lubuntu 12 on my OLD OLD laptop as I'm typing this. I sure hope it will run.

I wish they had GTbuntu! I would give that a try for sure. :laughingteeth:

#20 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 07:08 PM

i have been running Ubuntu 12.04 for some time now and love it even with unity i like it. i got the screen rotation working on my tablet pc which is even better. since i did a upgrade from beta i may do a fresh install soon. i downloaded the final release so i have a fresh iso file to work with.

#21 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 07:32 PM

Ya, I think I am going to try a different one. I am not into the KDE desktop either. I always did like XFCE though so maybe I will give Xubuntu a shot.

I do like debian based distros though because I think the aptitude package manager is the best one out of all of them. Especially from a command line but I guess all of them have come a long way.

I agree, I started out using KDE with SuSE but eventually I started using debian branded distro's and that is about all I use now. I like Gnome 2, XFCE and LXDE the only grip I have with LXDE is I haven't found a wallpaper rotation app that really works with it and I have grown accustom to seeing pic's of my grand baby's rotating.

I've gotten lazy in my old age and don't use the command line much any more but you are right when things go south being able to use the command line with aptitude package manager is a life saver and I have had to do it.

#22 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 07:33 PM

I wish they had GTbuntu! I would give that a try for sure. :laughingteeth:

I do too! Let me know if you decide to develop a distro like it. :dancingbanana:

#23 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 10:09 AM

i was looking around on my 10.04 desktop pc and noticed there is a program called Ubuntu customization kit. its a program that lets you build your own distro the way you want. i dont remember where i got it , but its work a look see.

#24 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 10:24 AM

Xubuntu keeps failing when trying to install grub but ubuntu installs it fine. I need to get a second ssd drive so they are both recognized better on the system.

#25 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Have you thought about installing it on a virtual machine? I thought about doing it just to check a distro out but old habits die hard.

#26 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 10:36 AM

Have you thought about installing it on a virtual machine? I thought about doing it just to check a distro out but old habits die hard.

I have, only problem is my main hard drive is 120gb ssd and with windows 7 taking up almost half of that already on it's own it doesn't leave much room for other stuff. VM's are nice for testing stuff, especially if you have a box you can dedicate to running a couple of vm's to test different setups. I may try it and see how much space I can get away with.

As for processor and ram I can allot enough towards a vm to have it run as good as a regular desktop to try it. Just what I seen from the live cd xubuntu is so much nicer then ubuntu with gnome3.

#27 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 10:48 AM

I really don't know much about building or running a VM but here is an article I read a while back http://www.thegeekst...tall-create-vm/

I got the impression from reading it that you can set the size of the VM file so you don't eat up all your resources. Anyway maybe it will help. I get an article each week from this guy and they are pretty good. Most of the time they deal with C programming and corporate IT type things that at this point in my life I'm not that interested in any more but he does come out with so useful articles like this one.

This is a follow up article on the VM. http://www.thegeekst...The Geek Stuff)

#28 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 07:55 PM

I am happy to report I am posting this from my new Xubuntu desktop. I ended up having to use Fedora 17 beta to get grub installed on my second hard drive (sdb). Then I tried installing Xubuntu and it installed fine with the bootloader on the second hard drive as well. I set the second hard drive to boot before the first hard drive which works great for me because then It doesn't mess with Windows master boot record.

#29 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 08:45 PM

I can already see myself using Xubuntu just as much if not more then Windows 7. It has been a long time since I used Linux for my desktop OS. I have worked with it all the time due to the webserver though but that has always been through the command line.

Here is a screenshot of my desktop:

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot_xubunut.png

#30 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 09:09 PM

Nice looking desktop.