• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 06:57 PM

How do you come up with this stuff ????

I wish I knew where some things come from... All I can say is the space between my ears is a scary place to visit sometimes... :D
  • wvbuzzmaster, KennyP, HowardsMF155 and 1 other said thanks

#32 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 07:10 PM

:bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl: OK I just about fell out my chair

• MH81 said thank you

#33 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 06:45 PM

I picked up a 2nd Brinly cultivator last week for cultivating in between rows.

They come with 7 shanks, 3 for each side and 1 in the middle. You remove the middle one to straddle a row of plants.

008.JPG 001.JPG

What I did was to reverse it, move the Yoke to the other end, removed the wheels and put 4 shanks on each side plus 1 in the middle. Robbed parts form one to do this.

002.JPG

I set it up so the outside shanks line up with the rear tires and spaced the others to try to cover all the ground in between the tires using 9 shanks.

004.JPG 003.JPG

I tried it out and seems to work great, because the outside shanks are up close to the rear tires they follow them, don't get near thew plants even if you turn.

I can still use the other one for straddling a row of plants, short plants, all I need is 1 more shank to have 3 on each side.

006.JPG 007.JPG

009.JPG 010.JPG

I probably won't be using this much this yr, but I'll have it for next season and hopefully a better garden.

I find it so easy to run the tractor down beside the plants  then back the opposite direction for weeding.

• MH81, KennyP and Littledeere have said thanks

#34 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Nice Doug, very nice.

They are great looking cultivators. As for the extra shank, you MIT consider making one (5/8 round stock, I think) and use a pair of wider sweeps like this.
image.jpg
They work very well shallow and take a much wider pass.
  • DH1 said thank you

#35 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 05:03 AM

That's a great idea, Doug. I may try this with the one I got a while back.

Image002.jpg

#36 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 12:21 PM

attachicon.gifimage.jpg
They work very well shallow and take a much wider pass.

these work well.  I got a set of home made cultivators on a tractor deal years ago.  The frame was hacked and crap but these shoes and the rods were good.  Ive got them under the work bench for a future build. 

#37 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • Member No: 47743
  • 24 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Hey Doug,

I believe that we have the same double harrow as the one you discovered. Ours came with the MF1655 we acquired recently. As a matter of fact, we only bought the tractor because it came with the 16 disk and a serious single plough to boot, not to mention, a three point hitch. The 77 Massey is rough but all the important parts are there and work well. The plough and harrow will get lots of use in our Veg. garden. For years we have relied on the 70's vintage "Horse" tiller that came with our house to work the garden. She is a jewel, but it would take two or three days to chew through the entire area and was not that versatile when it came to weed control during the growing season. With the disker life will be much simpler I hope. We actually used the plough the other day to dig some of our potatoes and were amazed at how much faster the process was compared to using a fork. What took 45 minutes before was accomplished in 15 with far less damage to the crop.

Looked everywhere on the disk for a brand name or model number but see nothing, however, yours appears to be identical. The plough isn't a Brinly, it does have a very faded label and you can just make out the first few letters of the name. They are Ze, I think. The guy we purchased the tractor from had it for 15 years and never used the attachments even once so he was no help in identifying them.

Do you have any idea where I might find an owners manual or instructions for the harrow and plough. I have never owned a tractor before so all this is new to us.

Hope the weather in Ontario was suitable for growing this year. Here it was an exceptional one really; our spuds have never been a better size and we had onions that topped three pounds.

TomSAM_1459.JPG SAM_1446.JPG SAM_1440.JPG

• MH81 and Littledeere have said thanks

#38 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 08:17 PM

The Plow ???

The double disc > Attached File  Brinly Early DD-1000 3pt Cat 0 Tandem Disc manual.pdf   3.64MB   67 downloads

• Avalontractor said thank you

#39 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Welcome to GTTalk, nice looking rig you have there.

As for the plow, maybe a few pics of the other side and maybe some close ups of the hitch area?
  • Avalontractor said thank you

#40 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • 24 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 10:07 PM

SAM_1462.JPG SAM_1463.JPG Hi Guys,

Ya, "the plow"; most of us here in Newfoundland are of Irish or English extraction and have carried over the language and spellings. Plow, and plough are the same thing for us.

I have included some other pic's of the plow for discussion. Is this what may be referred to as a "potato" plow? I'm afraid that I am clueless in implement terms and identification. My hope is that I can quickly turn the garden soil with the plow this fall and leave it. Come spring, I'll use the harrow to break-up the earth and then plant the rows so that the harrow may be used to hill and then weed the rows. The plow shows promise as a good method for harvesting the crop. We will still use the tiller to "dress" the top layer of dirt before planting.

I was looking for a manual for the harrow as I thought it would be a good idea to remove the outside disks when weeding so that we could plant the rows closer. Our garden isn't that big at just 5,000 square feet, compactness is important. A manual would be helpful in that regard.

The tractor has many deficiencies; the rear PTO does not work, the shaft has "gone walk-about". None of the lights are functional and in fact, are missing entirely. The speed selector function isn't connected and the clutch/neutral pedal is not working. The rear fenders have found a new home unknown to us and the seat has no kill switch. Still, the machine has loads of power and the mid and front PTO are in good shape. Our lawn isn't all that smooth so the big mower deck will be replaced with a reel mower gang at some point.

Just found a Cub Cadet snowblower that I have almost gotten attached to the front of the Massey. Some finessing was required in order to connect it but so far the "introduction" has been going well. Funny, the guy we got the snowblower from just bought a new Kobota tractor that he paid $ 25,000 for, less the snowblower. Our ancient Massey does everything it does just as well and it cost us $ 1,200 including the blower.

It's almost 12.30 AM here in Newfoundland now and I drove halfway across the island and back again today; time for bed.

Hope to connect with you again soon.

Kind Regards

• MH81 and Littledeere have said thanks

#41 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 09:31 AM

Interesting plow. That's what is called a breaking or turning plow.

Here;s a link to a pic of a potato plow.

http://www.powerpac....rodepflug_1.JPG

A middle buster, which is similar but without the tines is also sometimes used as/called a potato plow as well.

http://www.popscreen...-Category-1-New
  • MH81, Littledeere and Avalontractor have said thanks

#42 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 09:53 PM

That's going to be MTD plow I think I have a pic of mine

Attached Thumbnails

• MTD PLOW 005.jpg
  • MTD PLOW 004.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 1 other said thanks

#43 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • 24 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 01:05 PM

Interesting plow. That's what is called a breaking or turning plow.

Here;s a link to a pic of a potato plow.

http://www.powerpac....rodepflug_1.JPG

A middle buster, which is similar but without the tines is also sometimes used as/called a potato plow as well.

http://www.popscreen...-Category-1-New

Hello OB,

Farming in a mechanized way is entirely new to us, with the exception of a walk-behind tiller that is. I am familiar with the name breaking plow of course but always assumed it referred to one meant to turn new earth. Our attachment has "gentle" edges, nothing sharpe (except the coulter) and a wide general construction that insinuates it is for moving "worked" soil, not virgin land. I tried it for digging spuds and was literally amazed at how good it worked. A 30 foot bed gave up everything in less then a minute. Using our old method would mean an hour or so of work with a wide-tined fork. Our garden has beautiful soil. The result of years of careful attention by the previous owners of our property. With a depth of at least 20" of healthy loose dirt, "breaking" isn't necessary. I actually removed the coulter when I used our plow. Seeing how well it worked I could well imagine it being called a potato plow.

The potato digger you show me here looks to be something much better still. I'll keep an eye out on this site and others for a copy we might be lucky enough to buy.

And, I agree, the middle buster would be even better for harvesting spuds than the plow I just tried out as well.  Something else to keep watch for. The farrow that is part of our old Horse tiller could be modified to serve the same function I think.

Nice to know there are numerous "like-minded" people throughout The US and Canada that want to farm for their families on the scale these tractors well enable. Our governments would be well advised to encourage this. Seems to me that basic food production is being consolidated into the hands of a select group of very large enterprises. That's wrong on all fronts.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#44 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • 24 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 07:11 PM

That's going to be MTD plow I think I have a pic of mine

Hello Littledeere,

Thanks for the photos. I think you are dead-on in your comment. Our plow looks to be the same as the one you have. As far as I know the one we own is at least 30 years old. The chap we got it from has held it for 15 years and never once used it (or the double harrow that was also part of the deal), they both laid idle behind his shed for all those years. He told me the previous owner had bought them at least 15 years before selling them. Neither implement shows any wear at all.

That will change next spring when we put them to good use I'm sure. Over the winter I plan on removing the surface rust and painting these well made attachments. Hard to beat equipment made in North America from this era. Where we come from, they are not a common sight at all and our intention is to have them for many more years, Old Buzzard has shown me what a potato plow looks like and we'll keep an eye out for one in the future. In the meantime, I have a well used prong that is now for sale cheap.

Thanks Again.

• KennyP and Littledeere have said thanks

#45 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Glad you have found a good use for your tractor and attachments. Sounds like they were just what you folks needed!