• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 05:46 AM

Hi guys, I guess I have another newbie question or questions of sorts. I might even already know my own answers!

As I mentioned in my intro, I traded for a 210, back some weeks ago. I knew it needed work when I traded for it, the deck needed some new bearings and belts. I also knew the engine needed some work due to it smoking a bit when you engaged the pto, it would let out a little oil smoke till it settled down. I was thinking rings, maybe a valve job would fix that up but then again some times it's not good for me to think.

Anyways after playing about with it, I found it needed a new muffler, so off to Ebay I ran. The muffler had broken it's engine mount at the exhaust inlet, and the brace was broken. So, I found a nice new used muffler, got it and installed it. After running it only a couple of times, it blows the muffler off and of course it breaks the brace mount. So, I made a new mount, re-installed it and off I go. Well that worked out pretty well, lasted a bit longer but once again it blows the muffler off and yet again breaks the mount. WHY Does it do that? Everything seems to be OK nice and tight, the mount from the engine looks really good shape. The muffler inlet is in great shape and the muffler is not and I repeat stopped up. It's not stopped up because that was the first thing I thought being it's a used muffler. I looked at the old muffler and from what I see it blew that one off so many times it just bust it.

So, that'd be one of my question why does it blow that muffler off?

My next question is should I consider a rebuild or replace the engine. I've looked about, I might can trade for V-twin pretty cheap that's on a much newer mower, only a couple of years old. Or should I rebuild the Kohler 10hp engine? Is that something a newbie should tackle on their own? I've never rebuilt a small engine but I have worked on several truck engines. So I am not entirely without some understanding, I did say some!

If you think a rebuild is something I might can do, does anyone have any experience with those rebuild kits offered on Ebay? I think they run about $100 bucks or so and they include a complete gasket set, piston, chrome rings, valves, crank rod and a few other tid bits.
I've read good things about the kits and bad things about the connecting rods. I've read the rods fail with very few hours, most fail before break in. It's suggest to get an OEM rod and the rest of the kit seems to read good.

Last question, does anyone know about those Honda Clone engines? Again, I've read pro's and con's about them, they're most likely made in China and clone off a Honda imo, and that makes me sort shy away. Then again the money for one isn't that bad, but I think in my case, I'd be better off to rebuild that 10 than replace it with a Chinese motor. Still I wonder what you guys think about them?

thanks folks for reading and for answering.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Sometimes, it is just easier to rebuild what engine you have. There is a lot to address with a repower: engine mounts, crankshaft diameters and length, and crankshaft height from mounts are just a few things that come to mind.
Is your engine backfiring and blowing the muffler off? My K 241 on the Cub got to backfiring a lot and found out the Governor had gave up on it. Installed a new one and it runs great now!
  • maxedout said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 06:25 AM

Without seeing the tractor I can only guess at what is going on with the exhaust. A couple of things comes to mind. I think the engine on a 210 is mounted on rubber isolators. If they are broken or worn out it will allow the motor to vibrate much more than normal. This could stress the muffler mount or cause it to hit against the chassis. The other issue is to be sure the muffler is mounted correctly and is braced to the correct spot. Also, the clamp may not be gripping the muffler properly. You have to have the clamp positioned on the split section of the end of the pipe so it will compress the pipe and create a tight fit. If the muffler is plugged it will also cause high back pressure which would make it more likely to blow off. There seem to have been 2 muffler setups on 210's. Heres the diagrams from JDParts. The setup on the right is for ser.No 70,000 and up.

M17977_________UN01JAN94.gif MP634__________UN01JAN94.gif

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,751 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:48 AM

I agree with JDBrian, check the mounts on the motor to the frame first.

#5 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 10:53 AM

Without seeing the tractor I can only guess at what is going on with the exhaust. A couple of things comes to mind. I think the engine on a 210 is mounted on rubber isolators. If they are broken or worn out it will allow the motor to vibrate much more than normal. This could stress the muffler mount or cause it to hit against the chassis. The other issue is to be sure the muffler is mounted correctly and is braced to the correct spot. Also, the clamp may not be gripping the muffler properly. You have to have the clamp positioned on the split section of the end of the pipe so it will compress the pipe and create a tight fit. If the muffler is plugged it will also cause high back pressure which would make it more likely to blow off. There seem to have been 2 muffler setups on 210's. Heres the diagrams from JDParts. The setup on the right is for ser.No 70,000 and up.

M17977_________UN01JAN94.gif MP634__________UN01JAN94.gif

The muffler set-up to the right, 70K is mine. I think mine shows to be a 1986 model or early 1987.

I have made sure the Muffler is on correctly it's really a no brainier because it can only mount one way for that type of setup. Allen my friend checked that part also and said it looks right.

Now, the motor mounts! UGH I never thought of that guys! That's an awesome idea! I do know I am going to need 3 new mounts for the 214 because it shakes rattles and rolls! Allen showed me those! We had one new one and replaced one, so now I am going to be looking for a few more.

The 210 on the other hand I had not checked it, I do know the engine shakes a little on start up or cut off. But I really had not watched the 210 running while working the tractor!

Thank you and I will check that and let you guys know if you are interested in my finds. It would be interesting to solve the mystery of the cold muffler! LOL

Right now, I am running it without the heat shield

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 12:33 PM

Well I hope you find the problem. It would be frustrating to have it popping off and braking all the time. Good luck sorting it out.

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,751 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 03:20 PM

If it turns out the motor mount isolaters are suspect, there are options:

$28/ from JD: http://www.greenpart...ctor-Parts.html

$9/ from McM-Carr: http://www.mcmaster....15/1358/=h7xokf (look for 6008K33)

$11.50/ from Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a5d657b32

If you are in need of one or more, new bolts not included. I would skip the rivets, most rivets made today are not quite what they were in 1980.

Edited by Cat385B, April 22, 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#8 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• Member No: 1289
  • 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 05:38 PM

If it turns out the motor mount isolaters are suspect, there are options:

$28/ from JD: http://www.greenpart...ctor-Parts.html

$9/ from McM-Carr: http://www.mcmaster....15/1358/=h7xokf (look for 6008K33)

$11.50/ from Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a5d657b32

If you are in need of one or more, new bolts not included. I would skip the rivets, most rivets made today are not quite what they were in 1980.

I replaced the mounts in my 214, over two years ago using the ones on eBay. So far they are holding up well.

#9 sknap83 OFFLINE  

sknap83

• Member No: 5244
  • 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:31 PM

I am chiming in late. As soon as I read your problem I thought motor mounts. As far as your motor questions. I have used the kits from ebay on a kt17 series one and a k301 kohler. I didnt used the rod with the k301 kit. The kt 17 kit didnt come with rods. The 301 kit was great and the tractor has blown snow all winter with no issues. The kt 17 kit had a few incorrect gaskets. Still not to bad to deal with for the money. I would rebuild over repowering. IMO it is hard to beat the old cast iron kohlers.

#10 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 11:49 AM

Guys I checked those motor mounts and they are rotted but they are still intact. I can see they need replaced. I took the heat shield off and the hood and rode it around and put it on hills and I never saw the motor shift or bounce into the engine covers. It sat and didn't have a lot of shake so I am puzzled but we do know now the motor mounts are really bad and need to be replaced. So that's a plus!