#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 11:29 PM

Have a later model 1617 with KT17 engine in it, that actually hasn't blown-up yet! Tractor ran fine when delivered. Fella had to work on float to get it to run he said. Been starting and running fine till just other day, no go at all. It fires on start fluid. I tore down today for good powerwashing and looked some things over. Fuel line from engine to filter under seat area was too big and rotten in many places. I got the right size 1/4" and a new filter. The other half seems to be right and flows gas fine when apart. No go! I pulled line off the pump on top of engine and was weak at first, then started pumping big time. Did same to line from it to the carb, and good. I let set awhile and came back, started right up! Then after running seems to start dieing till I lower speed, then quits completely in a minute or so. I haven't pulled the carb yet to try to clean and set float, but looks like that is what It needs. Something must be holding back gas, then allowing it to flow slowly and enough to fill bowl and it runs on that, till it is gone again. Sound like just a float sticking or you think the pump could actually be weak/bad under pressure? It's a PIA to get carb off, but can't drop float with it on the engine. Was hoping not to have to do that. If I DO take off, will be rebuilding whole thing.

#2 jlpowell OFFLINE  

jlpowell

• Member No: 8518
  • 3 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 01:51 AM

sound like the pump is bad under pressure . take a old gas tank hook it directly to carb and gravity feed it start engine . if it runs fine then it is pump if not then you need to pull carb.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 06:36 AM

I had to clean a carb on a 7 HP ohv Briggs yesterday. It would run on starting fluid, then die. Found the part holding the bowl on had the holes plugged up. Once that was cleared out, it runs fine!

#4 dacheez17 OFFLINE  

dacheez17
  • Member No: 9663
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 07:38 AM

sound like the pump is bad under pressure . take a old gas tank hook it directly to carb and gravity feed it start engine . if it runs fine then it is pump if not then you need to pull carb.

I agree with JL, start by bypassing everything and hooking straight to the carb. If you can run the same amount of time or longer at full throttle like your having problems, then signs point to a pump. On the other hand, a good rebuild never hurt anyone. Its very possible you have a piece of rubber fuel line the deteriorated and is lodged in the pump or in one of your needles. My k361 was a PIA to pull carb off and clean out bowl, float and high and low speed needles. I used a mic to make sure I got the needles set back at factory.

How long did the tractor sit, before you got it? Any ideas? Could still have some bad fuel or varnish build up that's clogging system. Just my 02 cents