19 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 12:05 PM

That does look good!! I think a Horse pasture is some of the toughest going you will run into. Has to do with the compaction of the soil. The weight of a horse on those relatively small hooves especially in clay can make it like concrete.

#17 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the post and some great pics Dan. That does look like some tough plowing, but it looks like the Massey did a fine job.Please keep us updated.

#18 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 11:59 AM

Looks like that lil' MF12 did the job!!

I tried my hand at plowing with the Sears GT 18 I just bought. It has a regular 3 point hitch with electric lift. and about a 7" plow with a coulter wheel.

I understand the basics of plowing, but I had a rough go. My garden site wasn't bad as it has been used every year since '95. Where I had the problem was in a field similar to what you plowed. The PO had liquid ballast and steel plates on the rear wheels, but nothing in the front. I'd be plowing and suddenly the tractor would stop and the front end would come up... kinda frustrating.

I also plowed up a section of my daughter's lawn for a garden spot--no string weeds, just grass--same results.

I figure I needed some weight in the front, plus the front tires are smooth turf-type so the steering wasn't so good. I put a water/RV antifreeze mixture in each front tire-took about 2 gallons each so that added about 30 pounds to the front end... I imagine I'll still need more weight.

I'm also going to put a more aggressive tire on the front. I don't have a mower deck for this tractor, so I don't need to worry about tearing up the lawn with it.

Anyone have any suggestions that won't break the bank???

Thanks,

#19 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 12:03 PM

I plowed and tilled a 100x50ft garden the other day. I had to carve it out of a field that was horse pasture years ago, then went to weeds. The owner mowed it down a few days before. It had old dead weeds that were laying down beneath the live ones and were really tough. The coulter had a hard time cutting the dead weeds even with 30 lbs added to the plow, just had to rip threw it. It didn't turn out to bad and I had fun doing it.
Here's some pics

Boy, I wish I had a chunk of land like that!!! I have about 10 GTs, and a .18 acre lot. I get a notice from the city about them ever so often--though not near as much now since a certain neighbor moved away. Most of the others tolerate me pretty good--but then I clear their sidewalks and driveways in the winter, and help get their mowers running in the spring, etc.

#20 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 01:55 AM

. I also took my time, talked to the owner a lot, and took a walk by the man made lake that was down the hill. That's why I don't charge by the hour, I like to take my time and I'm kinda fussy.

How do you charge for your plowing/tilling? I'm interested in starting to hire out for spring plowing and don't know where to start on charging enough to take care of wear and tear.