• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sknap83 OFFLINE  

sknap83

• Member No: 5244
  • 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 06:29 PM

I guess I have been in the game long enough now I am the go to guy for problems. A neighbor approached me about a month ago and needed the 2 steel hydrailic lines that that come off the hydro stat and go to the control valves for his 300 that he bought brand new. Ever since I figured out he had that tractor just sitting I had been bugging him to sell it to me. Anyway. The 80 year old man put the lines on it now the seal the driveshaft hooks into is pouring fluid out. He says its probably from sitting which it very well could be. Anyway is there a good online source to buy the seals. He wants to bring the tractor to me and have me replace them. He says its to much for him to take on. I have never messed with these seals before so I am wondering if I should just go to deer and get them or if I can find them online. I have already checked ebay. Thanks.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 06:43 PM

Before you replace the seals you should check the driveshaft coupler to make sure it's in good shape. If it's worn it can cause a lot of vibration at the hydro input shaft. You should also check the vent for the hydro to make sure it's not plugged or assembled wrong. If it's blocked pressure will build up in the reservoir and fluid will find it's way out the weakest spot. There is a piece of tubing that acts as a gauge for fluid level and the top of this gauge tubing should go to what looks like a fuel filter and then back into the top of the rearend. The "fuel filter" has a small hole in it to vent pressure from the case. If it has been replaced with a conventional fuel filter or a piece of tubing it will not vent. You simply drill a 1/16" hole in the outside of the filter and that vents it. My 314 had this problem and in it's case it was blowing oil out the axle seals.
Check JDParts.com and you can see parts diagrams and get part no's and also costs if you are registered. If it's a standard sized seal you should be able to source them elsewhere.

#3 sknap83 OFFLINE  

sknap83

• Member No: 5244
  • 3 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the help on this one. I suspected a driveshaft issue myself. The whole setup was very cobbled together. The dampeners that go between the yolks were gone and it was made to work for a short time but who ever worked on it before didnt count on it lasting the long haul. He did tell me it was worked on about 15 years ago. Anyway The owner has a small machine shop in his garage and I sold him a ujoint shaft out of a 317 I have as a donor tractor. He made the flange to go on the motor and I installed it along with a new seal. I wish I had another shaft because I would do the same thing on the 300 I just bought. He is making me one of those flanges this week just incase I have an issue. I wish I would have know he had that machine shop equiptment about 3 years ago. It would have made my life alot easier. He may me slow on stuff but he does great work.