#1 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 05:16 PM

I just bought an AMF 1010. I cleaned the carburator on it, adjusted it and it runs like a Swiss watch at high throttle. But it will not idle. I was wondering if I am missing anything? It has a Walbro carburator.Thanks in advance.

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hard to say without looking at it, I'll throw a few things out there. Did you do a rebuild on the carb (new parts)? There are so many things it could be.1st make sure the idle screw isn't backed off to much. Did you use a new mounting gasket? or is there any play in the throttle shaft? I'll start with these.

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 07:21 PM

If it is running at high speed ok, try applying some choke as you idle down. If it idles better with choke, then your idle circuit is too lean. If it does worse, your idle may be too rich.

I misspoke here. It isn't that the IDLE circuit is too lean. An engine that idles better with choke is RUNNING too lean. Then you know to look for vacuum leaks or plugged idle circuits.

Edited by HowardsMF155, April 21, 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 07:30 PM

The idle circuit is very difficult to get clean if badly gummed up. There are some holes that you simply cannot get opened up without running wire or torch tip cleaners through. These holes are blocked by welsh plugs. You may need to remove these plugs to get all the passages cleaned completely. The welsh plugs are the slightly domed caps on the side of the carb. Usually you can drive a punch into their center to loosen them or drill a tiny hole, then use a pick tool to pull them out. A new one is installed the by sightly pushing in the center of the new welsh plug.

#5 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Has the main nozzle (jet?) been removed? This is the part that the high speed mixture screw goes up into. If this part has been removed it must be replaced with a service nozzle. The original is drilled after it is installed in the carb and is impossible to get lined up again once removed, you will not get fuel to the idle circuit and will lose your mind trying to get it to idle properly. There is a Tecumseh manual in the manual section that explains this.
Here's a link to what you need if it has been removed, noticed the threads have been turned down to allow fuel to flow to the idle circuit.
http://www.carbrescu...php?productid=6

#6 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:24 AM

As been said above the Idle circuit must be plugged up and is hard to clean.
The main nozzle if removed has to have the service nozzle put in or it won't work, as was said above. Picture shows the difference in the nozzles.
HH 020.jpg

The float level needs to be 1/8" or it won't run right also.

#7 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the help. I haven't removed the main nozzle jet, so that wouldn't be it. I'll try cleaning the idle circuit.

#8 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 04:50 PM

It's possible a previous owner removed the main nozzle. I picked up a mf12h for a friend and it had that problem. The previous owner had been using it like that, I wouldn't be surprised if that was why he sold it.