Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

MF 1655 electric clutch......need a new one, where ya get them???

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 06:24 PM

I'm in the process of putting a honda engine in my 1655 and after dismantling the clutch to put it on the honda engine I've discovered the electric field coil is starting to come apart so now I need a new assembly......haven't checked with Massey yet for an OEM if they are even available anymore but just wondering of any other sources. If memory serves me right didn't John Deere use this same clutch on the 318, 317 and even 400's??? Will need to mow by the end of the week so need to get her going again!! Thanks fellas!

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 06:36 PM

The JD 318 had a lot larger crank output shaft, but I think the field coil is the same. Coming apart? It still energizes? If the resin is cracking/receding, as long as the field works, I've just bought resin & hardener, like in fiberglass kits & filled all the voids.

#3 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 06:42 PM

Yeah the front covering that covers the windings inside is coming apart at the seam.......it still works but don't know how long......took carb cleaner and washed all the dirt and oil off it and discovered it. Use a regular fiberglass resin?

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 06:46 PM

Yeah the front covering that covers the windings inside is coming apart at the seam.......it still works but don't know how long......took carb cleaner and washed all the dirt and oil off it and discovered it. Use a regular fiberglass resin?

Yep, I've done it a few times with great success. Clean is the key to using the resin. BTW...looked up a JD318 field coil....$155

#5 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 06:53 PM

Is it the same thing?? Hate to spend the extra money but don't want problems down the road! Any deere part numbers?? Do you fill the whole assembly with resin.....theres a steel lip all the way around it with about a sixteenth gap between the windings and steel housing......fill it all in??? Might get a new one and fix this one and put it on the shelf just in case backup!

#6 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 07:38 PM

Hey Luke putting the Honda engine in is going to give you a bit of a surprise when you activate the electric clutch.When I put the Honda engine into mine the first time I turned the electric clutch on the tractor it shut down.The Honda engine uses ground to shut down the spark from the coils shutting down the engine.Sooo as soon as you engage the electric clutch the motor dies. I had to do a bit of rewiring and use a different key switch,plus add in a push button switch to act as the ground to stop the motor.I just mounted the push button kill right next to the key switch so turn the key off and push the button for instant stop.Of course the engine will shut off after about 5-10 seconds without out having the kill button because of the fuel shut off having been shut down once the key was shut off.I put this extra kill in just incase I ever needed to shut the tractor down right now for safety reason's. Larry

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 07:49 PM

No, the JD's electromagnet looks all together different. May work with the rest of your clutch, but I have no clue. The JD uses an adapter plate to fasten it's electromagnet backing plate to the block, where yours bolts directly.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 07:50 PM

The oem electric clutch is still available also through jacks small engines. If I remember right it was $287. I had to redo the electric clutch on mine as well but my problem was the bushing was worn away and one of the fingers were broke.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 08:02 PM

The oem electric clutch is still available also through jacks small engines. If I remember right it was $287. I had to redo the electric clutch on mine as well but my problem was the bushing was worn away and one of the fingers were broke.

I only checked the electromagnet at Jack's & they didn't show anything. I didn't look up the entire clutch assembly. If I were going to spend the $150 for the electromagnet, I think I'd spend the extra & just get the entire clutch.

#10 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 08:09 PM

Yeah I should probably replace the whole thing since I'm doing all this other stuff......I'm tired of working on this thing every time I head out 2 mow! Anybody have Jacks number and their part number for this whole clutch assembly?? Thanks everybody for the help and I hope I don't need to do alot of rewiring to make it work Larry!!! Thanks again all!

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 08:12 PM

Here's a link to the clutch assembly at Jack's.
Jacks Small Engines Search

#12 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 08:32 PM

That part number is for the rotor assembly and no field coil. The field coil is not available at all through them. Will try my massey dealer tmorrow and see if its available......if not maybe they can do a parts search through all the other massey dealers and find one for me!......Hopefully!!?? In the meantime think i'll try the fiberglass trick! thanks again......appreciate it!

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 08:39 PM

You're right...I goofed! May be NLA then. On the Allis I had, it used the same style field. Back 14yrs ago when my FIL still owned it, the field's 12V supply wire got hung & pulled it right out of the hole in the back of the field's case. I dig into the hole & found the wire...soldered back together. The whole wire coil was loose, and chips of filler missing & cracked, so while I was at it I filled all the cracks with resin & it is still working great to this day. My BIL now has the Allis.

#14 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 09:08 PM

well im gonna give it a try with the fiberglass resin tomorrow......cleaned it out good with electric cleaner and got it in front of the fan drying out good tonight! Can't plant beans YET so have alittle time to play with this thing! When I get it done I'm gonna take a picture of the tractor in front of my big massey 4900 4wd articulated tractor......thanks again! goodnight

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 23, 2010 - 04:59 AM

It would be worth a call to the massey dealer or to jacks small engines. I was just looking on agcopartsbooks and there is a main part number of 3020822M91 for clutch assembly electric. If you put that number in at jacks it comes back with this: PN#: 3020822M91 has been superceded to PN# 1041623M91. It is listed for $281.72. The number it shows that supercedes is the rotor assembly part number. I have a feeling it is for the whole assembly but I could be wrong.