Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Mowed The Neighbor's Yard (updated Because I Did It Again)(and Again)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 12:44 PM

You could almost bail that grass. Thanks for sharing the video!
  • jd.rasentrac said thank you

#17 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 01:15 PM

1st time I have seen this thread! NIce looking Bolen's tractor!! (and the JD) I agree with how you were raised. If everyone treated others like they wanted to be treated it would be a better place!! Good thread!

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 01:15 PM

Oh, I am sorry but you are going to have to remake that video in English! :bigrofl:

Thanks for the video!

#19 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,444 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 01:38 PM

Oh, I am sorry but you are going to have to remake that video in English! :bigrofl:

Here´s a translation:

"Ride-on lawnmower"

Saturday you´ll have to mow the lawn :pushmower:
And if you do this only one time each year, your LAGT must be a lil bigger! :smiley-flag008:

That time we fit a compressor to the Johnny and that´s why it has no hood
  • caseguy and Ryan313 have said thanks

#20 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,756 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 01:59 PM

We have a neighbor whose yard we mowed for almost 2 years because her mower broke, I also cleaned up a huge brush pile in her back yard, gave and installed a set of tires on her car, fixed her brakes for free, and then she turned around and called the county because we were taking some equipment apart in the back yard. Guess who is on her own now.

I don't mind helping people, but when they turn around and stab you in the back as thanks my niceness ends.

#21 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 04:44 PM

Well, as a matter of fact, I did it a third time. I noticed that it had not been done, even though the neighbors had gotten a new mower according to my parents. My mother said they mowed once and that was it.

A few weeks later, the neighbor saw my mother and told her the new mower was actually a used one. It had just stopped working about 2/3 the way through the job. They still are selling their other house and money is tight now. I asked my mother if she wanted me to mow again and she thought I should.

I was mowing the lawn and the neighbor woman came out. She said they bought a mower from a man at church, but it stopped moving. The engine ran and the mower wouldn't move. I told her I would look at it after I finished mowing.

Here is their mower.
IMG_0215.JPG

The belt from the engine had jumped onto the transmission pulley just above it and pinched. I was able to get it back on it's own pulley and their mower worked ok till the belt jumped again. I repaired it again and finished the job. I told her what the problem was. They plan to buy something different. So dry here, no worries about grass for a while.

I used the bolens and my 147. Here is the 147 helping hold my tool box at their house.
IMG_0216.JPG

It's too bad, but the woman was sorry she didn't even have a cold beer for me.

#22 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Dave you deserve some kind of reward for trying to help the neighbors but I don't think that I can send a cold six pack through the mail. It has been said before , but the nicest people are GT people.
  • daytime dave said thank you

#23 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 09:28 PM

We have a neighbor whose yard we mowed for almost 2 years because her mower broke, I also cleaned up a huge brush pile in her back yard, gave and installed a set of tires on her car, fixed her brakes for free, and then she turned around and called the county because we were taking some equipment apart in the back yard. Guess who is on her own now.

I don't mind helping people, but when they turn around and stab you in the back as thanks my niceness ends.

That is just unbelievable. Some folks sure don't appreciate all the help they receive. You as well as Dave deserve a medal for trying to help someone in need. It is just too bad that they don't seem to have deserved any help at all.

#24 Bolens iseki OFFLINE  

Bolens iseki

• Member No: 4828
  • 2 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 01:50 PM

i was wondering how the iseki is on power when you cut the grass because i thing a g174 would run a 4 foot mower just fine.

Edited by Bolens iseki, July 30, 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#25 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 07:37 PM

The 192 does great with the four footer. I would think a few less horsepower would not make much difference. I have plenty of power.
  • Bolens iseki said thank you

#26 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 09:00 AM

A few weeks later, the neighbor saw my mother and told her the new mower was actually a used one. It had just stopped working about 2/3 the way through the job. They still are selling their other house and money is tight now. I asked my mother if she wanted me to mow again and she thought I should.

I was mowing the lawn and the neighbor woman came out. She said they bought a mower from a man at church, but it stopped moving. The engine ran and the mower wouldn't move. I told her I would look at it after I finished mowing.

Here is their mower.

IMG_0215.JPG

Well, there's your problem right there! Tell her she needs to buy a REAL GT to mow her yard with!!! Those plastic throw-away lawn mowers aren't worth anywhere near what they charge for them these days and she's much better off buying an old IH Cub Cadet, John Deere, Bolens, etc. for $500-$1,000 and be set for life!

You gotta set your mother's new neighbors straight...

Edited by MailmAn, August 17, 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#27 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 09:08 AM

I agree! An old GT would be the best thing for them!

Does the pulley have the belt guards? Those little round bars on either side? One of them could be bent or missing and allowing the belt to come off.

#28 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 10:42 AM

Ryan, I had given them advice on getting an older GT and they went with the lawn tractor from the man from church. The tabs that keep the belt in place were not bent. I had to bend them to get the belts back on though. It seems to happen when the tractor goes in reverse and then it jumps off the track.

Last time I was noticing, their lawn tractor sat idle. I think the husband had the belt come off again. I didn't have time to ask though.