• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 07:46 PM

I just thought I would add an observation I realized today. As a lot of you I belong to other forum's dealing with my other interest's. It seems with so many of these forums you get the same questions over and over again or you get threads dealing with what I consider kind of silly things. I don't find that here, all the threads I have read or participated in have been very enjoyable and interesting. I'm not sure why the difference, maybe a higher mentality here (Oh did I say that!) but I have notice a big difference here then other places.

I have noticed that also, I will not name any forums, but every other forum I go on, this happens a lot. On one site in particular(again, no names) if there is a new member, and their first post is asking a question that has been asked before, then the members 'attack' the person who asked the questions and tell them to use the search feature and that repeat questions should not be asked, and to search for any question before thinking about posting anything. They are also very smart in the way they say it and I have never seen one person on that forum get welcomed, by anybody. Also I have posted pics of some of my work on the forum I am talking about and nobody, has anything good to say, my last thread got almost 100 views in 2 days and not one person replied. (I stopped going on that site) The only time you get a response is when they want to critique your work and tell you you did it wrong. This forum is very different, I know that if a repeat question gets asked, the members would help. And the best part about this site, everybody is welcomed right away into the family we know as GTtalk, I know I was!

I typed this with the intention of not naming any forums, after typing this, I see how bad that site really is, the site I was talking about is known as "Taxidermy.net" If anybody wants to check it out, I would advise against it.
  • johndeereelfman, chris m and PaPasTractor have said thanks

#33 Wayne195 OFFLINE  

Wayne195
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9618
  • 30 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 08:06 PM

Nice site you'all got here! I just joined this evening and I really like it. I'm a member on another larger forum that seems to be on the way down so I started looking around.

This may be a bit off the topic, but when was this started? From what I see around here it is farely new...??

#34 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 08:12 PM

Nice site you'all got here! I just joined this evening and I really like it. I'm a member on another larger forum that seems to be on the way down so I started looking around.

This may be a bit off the topic, but when was this started? From what I see around here it is farely new...??

I just joined last fall so Im not sure exactly but I think the site started in 2007? Im not sure 100% but I will find out.

This site is great, no other site comes close to this one.

#35 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Welcome aboard Wayne195. Glad to have you with us! And a local guy at that. I believe the site started around the beginning of 2010. You'll really like it here, and we are all willing to help, if you have any questions or problems.

If you get a chance, take some time to introduce yourself, and post pictures of your collection in the new member thread. That way everyone else can give you a warm Welcome.

Troy

Edited by johndeereelfman, April 24, 2012 - 08:15 PM.

#36 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 08:15 PM

I just looked at the 'head honcho's' profile and it says he joined on January 27, 2010. I guess that's when it started! Also the 'head honcho' goes by the user name "NUTNDUN" and his name is George, hes responsible for this great place!
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#37 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 09:34 PM

Welcome Wayne195, Glad you decided to join us. As Troy mentioned please introduce your self in the New member Introduction forum so we can give you a proper GTT welcome.

Yes GTT is fairly new but I think you will find it the best one around.

#38 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted April 27, 2012 - 10:06 AM

I just thought I would add an observation I realized today. As a lot of you I belong to other forum's dealing with my other interest's. It seems with so many of these forums you get the same questions over and over again or you get threads dealing with what I consider kind of silly things. I don't find that here, all the threads I have read or participated in have been very enjoyable and interesting. I'm not sure why the difference, maybe a higher mentality here (Oh did I say that!) but I have notice a big difference here then other places.

Bill,

I couldn't agree with you more. That's another thing I like about this site. If you ask a question that may have been brought up previously, or ask something that seems to be common sense, nobody here puts you down, or humiliates you. We just answer the question the best we can, and move on. No Police Motorcycles with flashinglights, critisism, smacking of hands, or just completely avoiding the question. We don't call guys out, or make an idiot of anybody, if they should happen to give the wrong advice. All members here, are accepted for what they know, what they don't know, if they are new or well astablished collectors, and for whatever brand they choose to collect. As far as I'm concerned, there are no perfect paint jobs, best tractor brands, and of course, there is no collector that knows everything and doesn't make a mistake.

We all have knowledge on the brands we collect, and yes there may be some guys who know more about a certain brand than most do, but that doesn't give them the right, to downcast another member, if that member posted something inaccurate. I used to have a hat, that stated: "Those of you who think you know everything, really annoy those of us who really do". I used to wear that hat all the time, until one day I realized, that saying is really hurtful, obnoxious, downgrading, and selfish. I no longer own the hat, and never once let on that I know it all after that. Everyone's opinion and advice here, is taken to heart, and held with a sense of honor. If we don't know the correct answer, or can't give the correct advice, we simply don't reply.On other sites, I think some guys just give advice, whether right or wrong, just so they can see their username listed on the thread. Not here! All advice given here seems to come straight from the heart, as if we took the problem on as our own, and we deliver the solution with a kind of compassion, so to speak. Everyones problems seem to be shared amoungst the members, and I think that's neat!

Edited by johndeereelfman, April 27, 2012 - 10:17 AM.

• KennyP, HDWildBill and PaPasTractor have said thanks