Fun With A Panzer With My Nephews And Family

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Clint OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8265
  • 411 Thanks
  • 293 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 12:37 AM

I agree. The color is awful. This one will have to stay ugly until I get caught up on some other projects. Sorry guys.

I just traded my dad his Panzer for a hay wagon! Yes, I said it. My dad has more use for a hay wagon and I have a soft spot for Panzers. My brother and I are going to try and rebuild and paint the one I am getting and give it back to him for Christmas. So in reality I just gave my dad a hay wagon AND his Panzer. Maybe I should have thought this through a little more. We are going to paint his red with white rims. That's how he painted it in the 60's or 70's when he got it. I am looking for the pictures he has of it when he painted it then. I'll upload them when I find them. He had the engine rebuilt and "Blueprinted" years ago, but quit using it when the carburetor kept messing up.

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,602 Thanks
  • 38,986 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 05:15 AM

Clint, that is a nice present for your Dad. Some folks may cringe at the choice of color, but, if it makes your Dad happy, go for it!

#18 Clint OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8265
  • 411 Thanks
  • 293 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 09:42 AM

I've said it before in FrankenPanzer - Build thread #2 post #57 on page 4 the other day in a response to this exact reference...."Paint doesn’t make it run better." I like my things to be reliable. I could care less about what it looks like. Sometimes it's fun to surprise people when, "That old ugly things actually runs?" I then show them it runs quite well. Puts them in their place a bit. Red, blue, green or black....I don't care. I was thinking I have so many Panzers I was going to paint each one a different color scheme. Farmall, John Deere, Ford, Oliver, White, and Massey Ferguson and take them to shows. This may draw the eye of different collectors. Some people may see a restored Panzer in what they consider an ugly turquoise walk on by. If they are one of the above brand enthusiasts, they may stop to BS a bit. That really is the best compliment. Anyone can say, “That looks nice” and keep on walking. I like the folks that you find commonalities with and have a real conversation. Not only does it look good, it runs great too! That’s always a plus and to me the only part that really matters.

#19 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:35 AM

Wow, there's a lot of strong feelings on color choice.
The answer is a little of both, I think. I don't care what color anything is, but the green doesn't seem to fit the tractor. Even adding some of the parts yellow or white would make a huge difference.
The paint doesn't make anything run better, but the process of breaking everything down for paint does. Just replacing all the bearings, bushings, and seals as you go is a cheap way for a big improvement in your tractor.