#1 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 05:13 PM

I got the 80-314 that I bought last Summer into the shop today! Doesn't need much, just a cleaning & re-paint.

HPIM2158 - Copy.JPG

Took off the sheet metal, pressure washed it, then took off the dash tower.

HPIM2410 (Custom).JPG

Before I got it, it has had a battery busted in it, leaving rust streaks down the side.

HPIM2408 (Custom) (2).JPG

Otherwise, I would leave it original. There is wax in some grooves & under the serial # tag.

HPIM2409 (Custom).JPG

Lowell

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 06:45 PM

Lowell that looks in pretty good shape. I have an 83 and mine was rusted much worse. On one side the mounting flange where it mounts to the frame rail was completely rusted through. I cut it off and riveted on a piece of angle with the holes drilled in it for the mounting bolts. The rivets are below the fender deck so you can't see them when it's all back together. The hydro linkage and the steering linkage both have some bushings that tend to wear out. Now would be a good time to check them and replace as needed. They are cheap and still available from JD. I had to do wheel bearings and tie rod ends on mine and that was a bit pricey. Also replaced the axle pivot bushings. Lots of fun!
Be sure to give the motor mounts and the drive shaft couplers a thorough inspection. The rear motor mounts tend to go and if ignored the extra vibration plays havoc with the driveshaft couplers. The key tends to strip out of the front one and the one on the hydro has a pin that will wear into the coupler and eventually can ruin the hydro input shaft. Don't ask why i know this stuff! Hopefully yours is in better shape then my 83 was.
  • grnspot110 said thank you

#3 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 09:15 PM

Thanks, this one is in really good shape for it's age & 900+ hours. I can visualize some old codger washing it after every use & waxing it numerous times/year! If it hadn't had the acid rust, I'd leave it original, but can't stand the streaks! ~~ Lowell

#4 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 06:33 AM

Looking forward to the pics.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 07:57 AM

They are a nice tractor and getting one in that condition is a real bonus. I was really surprised with the amount of tractive power these things have. That big rear axle and the Sundstrand hydro are strong. To me it seems stronger than the x475 I had. I want to put a second hydraulic outlet on mine so i can run a 54 front blade. I have the blade and a hitch for my 2320 which I can adapt to the 314. The 2320 is really too big and heavy for the 54 blade and is beating the hitch pretty bad.

#6 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 12:41 PM

Quick ? - What size rear tires are you running?

#7 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 05:09 PM

Tires are 23x10.50x12 Deestones!  I get most of my tires from Morrow Tire, Marshall, MO, he has an Ebay store.  Since I'm only about 90 miles from him, I usually get them within two days.  ~~  Lowell

#8 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 11:37 AM

Hadn't done much for a while, as I had too many other things going on. Hope to get this much put back together in the next couple of days so I can wheel it out of the shop. That will give me more room to prep the sheet metal & hood for paint.

Fortunately, I don't have to go too deep on this one as it's in good shape, except for the dash tower rust!

I've painted the dash tower, frame & engine:

HPIM2418 (Custom).JPG

HPIM2417 (Custom).JPG

I've got to get busy, as the first show of the season is only a month away! ~~ Lowell
  • KennyP said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 05:50 PM

That looks good Lowell. I just had mine out to try out the new box blade. It's been sitting a month and turned over for a few seconds before starting but once off choke it ran great. Pulls the box blade full of gravel without any problem.
Another problem mine had was the hydro vent was assembled wrong. There is what looks like a fuel filter in line with the vent hose. It's not a conventional filter but one with a small hole in the outside case to vent pressure from the reservoir. Someone replaced that with a regular filter and the hydro was pressurizing and oil was being driven out through the axle seals, soaking the brakes. When I went to add fluid to the hydro it spewed out the fill tube all over me and the garage floor. Luckily it was not hot. After I figured that one out I drilled a 1/16" hole in the filter, cleaned up the brakes and it hasn't leaked any oil since that time.

#10 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 06:58 PM

That looks good Lowell. I just had mine out to try out the new box blade. It's been sitting a month and turned over for a few seconds before starting but once off choke it ran great. Pulls the box blade full of gravel without any problem.
Another problem mine had was the hydro vent was assembled wrong. There is what looks like a fuel filter in line with the vent hose. It's not a conventional filter but one with a small hole in the outside case to vent pressure from the reservoir. Someone replaced that with a regular filter and the hydro was pressurizing and oil was being driven out through the axle seals, soaking the brakes. When I went to add fluid to the hydro it spewed out the fill tube all over me and the garage floor. Luckily it was not hot. After I figured that one out I drilled a 1/16" hole in the filter, cleaned up the brakes and it hasn't leaked any oil sense that time.

Thanks!

Mine has the same type of vent. I put new sight tube & vent (w/hole) on it shortly after I got it last Summer. ~~ Lowell

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 07:12 PM

That looks excellent for the hours it has! I can't wait to see how it comes out!

#12 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 04:36 PM

I got back to the 314 today, stripped the fender deck (good ole' "Zip-Strip"), pressure washed it, then finished with cheap abrasive pads & lacquer thinner.

HPIM2419 (Custom).JPG

The filler on the left rear is where it apparently had been backed into something, creasing the metal. I had hammered it out, just a thin layer of filler to smooth it. I think that's the only dent on the whole tractor!

The side panels & hood will just need sanded & painted. Because of the acid rust, decal adhesive & all the bends & curves, I decided complete stripping was the best way to go on the fender-deck. ~~ Lowell
  • KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#13 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 04:45 PM

Looking good!

#14 Ron White OFFLINE  

Ron White

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 267
  • 123 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:43 PM

Hi Lowell,

Looks like its coming along nice !! I have a question since I want to repaint my 332.

Are you using the Original formula Zip Strip or the Industrial formula and just how well does it work on the powder coat ??

Would you have any pictures as you went along in the striping process ?

Thanks Ron

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 07:52 AM

Boy, that worked good. Must be good stuff!