Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

MF 1655 plastic dash wore through where hood sits on it.......any fixes??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 12:40 PM

I've tried locating a replacement dash with no success......does anyone have a idea on how to fix this problem? I see no way of fixing this and making it look good since the plastic is textured??? Any suggestions?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 02:20 PM

Best bet is ebay. I just got another dash for my 1655 which is in better shape then what was on it but it still has some imperfections. Just keep an eye out for one. You could also do like tweidman did with his and make a new dash out of metal.

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 03:28 PM

What I did with mine was as soon as I noticed it was starting to wear thru.I mean just starting to wear thru.I took the dash off and on the backside I put a thin layer of fiberglass and resin.Once it was set I did the front where it was starting to wear thru I used just the fiberglass resin and filled in the area of wear with resin.Did this a few years ago and its still good.When I first bought my 1655 the dash had cracks and was ready to break so,I glued the cracks and then on the inside of the dash I roughed it all up and applied a couple coats of fiberglass and resin.I had to drill holes for the gauges and switches & throttle.It been good ever since as it stiffened up the plastic.I was lucky as there was no plastic missing just cracked. Of course once it was all done I painted it gloss balck and gave it a clear coat as well,it still looks like new today.Larry

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 22, 2010 - 06:31 PM

Cool, When winter comes I'll tear it apart and try the fiberglass thing......I have no pieces missing yet but a few wear spots through just where the hood pinch on windlace makes contact with the dash.......not a real big deal but it just bugs me......like to keep my stuff in top shape and close to original with modern upgrades!! Thanks for all the info! Luke

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 23, 2010 - 06:47 PM

My 1655 dash is just starting to crack where the hood closes on it.My plan,although I haven't really looked at it too close,is to reinforce to lip by taking a piece of flat bar (probably 1/8" or 3/16" thick ),and bending it to match the contour of the dash,and possibly epoxying it to the underside of the lip.At least that is my plan as of now.

#6 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 23, 2010 - 11:31 PM

Good idea! Will keep that in mind also......thanks for the reply!