Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:23 AM

Might have something to beat that guys heres a facebook post (I think all can see it) where I assisted my Sister in law in a snake rescue

This 2 1/2 foot long garter snake was twisted up in some nylon netting to the point he'd have died sooner than later. My nature loving wife, with brother Greg Dean's help, spent 5 minutes with a pair of scissors removing all of the material from its skin. In some spots the scaly flesh had partially grown over the netting and she gently pulled it all out.
Once the work was done, Janet dug up some worms and put them on a saucer of sorts near the healing fella.
So, this resident of The Island has been christened Jeffie, named after a similar character from my life.

Posted Image

That was last weekend and he is doing better now.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#17 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Wow Greg, many people would have chopped it up with a shovel whether it had nets on it or not! Im glad you care enough about the wildlife to save something that most people hate. I hope it has a long life without any more fishing nets.
  • Michiganmobileman said thank you

#18 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Ryan,
Although not one of my favorite creatures, I do believe that snakes as well as Most all (jury is still out on flies and mosquitoes :)) of Gods creatures have a place here. When we humans do something that negatively influences the life of an animal we should be man enough to try and remedy it.

My Brother had placed the net as a fence to keep his dogs in the yard. My SIL showed me the poor creature that morning and said they would cut him out when Ross got home. He was due to come up that evening but not til after dark, after a flight in from New York and a 2 hour drive up here. The more I thought on it the more it bugged me so I grabbed my welding gloves and a pair of scissors. I was glad when the last snip was done and I could put it down. I think he was pretty happy too.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 02:05 PM

That's a good thing you did, and I'm glad you did it. I know that telling you this wont phase you but, a snake that small can't hurt you. They can and do bite but unless you see it bite, you wont know that it did. And after handling that snake for a minute or two they don't strike anymore and they will crawl through your hands like its a tree branch.

#20 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Here are some I found today. All brown water snakes.

This one came in at 2' 8"
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one was exactly 3 foot.
Posted Image

Not as colorful as some, but still a good looking snake!
Posted Image

I went to bring that one back and found another, it was 2' 6"
Posted Image

I found them in almost the exact same spot, so I let them go together. The larger one left right away but the smaller one stayed around for awhile.
Posted Image

#21 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 10:06 AM

That is freaky.
I like the photo of you in striking position.

My daughter got a snake as a pet. I'm still getting used to it. Last week I had to stick around the house a day to sign for a shipment of frozen mice. Imagine that, paying someone to ship you dead, frozen mice.

Though they say not to feed wild mice b/c you don't know where they've been.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#22 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 10:31 AM

That is freaky.
I like the photo of you in striking position.

My daughter got a snake as a pet. I'm still getting used to it. Last week I had to stick around the house a day to sign for a shipment of frozen mice. Imagine that, paying someone to ship you dead, frozen mice.

Though they say not to feed wild mice b/c you don't know where they've been.

:bigrofl: :bigrofl:
We had an experience back when my boys were younger. They caught a frog in the yard and wanted to keep it. Of course, you had to feed the frogs, and crickets were the food of choice. Now, you should know that crickets need to be alive to feed to frogs, so we had to buy cricket food to keep the food crickets alive to feed the frogs. I was supporting a whole ecology what with buying cricket food, food crickets, and random frogs from the back yard. :confuse: :confuse:
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#23 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 10:31 AM

the wife and i was driving in the mountains around here and seen a black racer. here is a video i shot of it.

some place i have a video and some pics of a black timber rattler we seen.

Edited by dogsoldier, April 30, 2012 - 10:33 AM.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#24 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 10:51 AM

I think snakes a beneficial and I've never heard of one carrying any type of disease. I don't mind having them around (non-poisonous) as long as I know they are there. One night I was out picking up night crawlers when a snake crawled into the light beam. Now that made me stop and think, It didn't even slow down and just kept going. That is the first time I've seen a Garter snake out hunting at night. Now Prairie Rattlers are a different story. They hunt at night and I had a real close call with one on a very dark night.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#25 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 12:47 PM

Cool stories guys!

Chris, I have never heard of a garter coming out at night either.

#26 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Here are today's catches, I saw nine but could only catch four of them.

Two brown water snakes, found them on a rock wall that is on the boarder of my stream. Big one is three feet, the small one is two feet eleven inches. I found them at the same time, caught them at the same time. Apparently one of them bit me, I was holding them and my knuckle had a few drops of blood on it, I can now say I have been bitten by a water snake. LOL!
Posted Image

Apparently, the older they get the more they loose their belly colors.
Posted Image

Posted Image

When I was taking a break from my current project, my brother said he was going over to the neighbor's ponds to fish some. I went with him, not to fish... but to look for snakes. LOL! We were walking over and he walked around the neighbor's barn one way, I went the other way knowing I could look for snakes. I lifted up a flat rock and found two ribbon snakes together. I scooped them up quick and met up with my brother on the other side of the barn and he asked if I went that way to look for snakes, I told him yes and he shook his head and didn't say anything. I didn't measure these ones, they were both about a foot and a half.
Posted Image

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Ryan, it's good you don't have a phobia for snakes, as it's apparent they are thick as can be in your area!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#28 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Ryan, it's good you don't have a phobia for snakes, as it's apparent they are thick as can be in your area!

I love snakes! I honestly dont know why people are scared of them, like any animal, they are more scared of you then you are of it. Plus, in my area, unless it's venomous it's bite really is not bad at all. Last year was a bad year for mice and I think they boomed with the mice population. No matter why there are so many, I like it! Lol.

#29 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 06:45 AM

Just be sure to not show your snake at school.
They frown upon such things.

#30 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 04:44 PM

I have not caught any water snakes lately, only garter snakes. I have seen a few but all the bad weather the snakes have been pretty calm.

Like most things, before they get big, they have to be small. I caught two little ones today. The first one was about a foot and the little one was about six inches.

Posted Image

Posted Image