• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 02:03 PM

Last weekend my brother and I saw a brown water snake, the first I have seen this year, and I have been looking. It was on the pond bank and slithered into the water before I could get to it. I walk around the ponds and steam everyday and today I saw another! It went into the water but stayed under some seaweed and I could see the back of its tail so I pulled it out onto land were it would be safer for me and the snake. The best I could straighten it out without hurting it it was 2'11''

Posted Image

Posted Image

Brown water snakes have very colorful undersides, and this one had some very nice colors on it!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I went to finish my walk and I saw another about the same size but it was gone before I got to it. After that one swam away, I spotted a smaller one about a foot and a half long. If the bank was flatter I could have gotten to it but it was on an area of the bank were it was dried up and pretty steep to walk on.

Also, despite the arrow shaped head, and common belief, brown water snakes are NON-VENOMOUS!

Edited by Ryan313, April 20, 2012 - 02:05 PM.

• middleageddeere said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 03:14 PM

You'll be freaking out many of the members with those pics Ryan. Not me though....I catch them when I can. I used to have a neighbor who was almost twice my size. He'd scream & run like a little school girl when I'd take him a snake! :laughingteeth:
  • middleageddeere and Ryan313 have said thanks

#3 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 03:29 PM

the snakes that live in water around here are cotton mouth very dangerous I dont get near them. I like the little green garden snakes.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#4 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 04:07 PM

Sorry Folks the only good one is DEAD ONE!!!!!!
  • Ryan313 and KC9KAS have said thanks

#5 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 04:44 PM

I was out at the farm a couple of days ago thinning some trees along the road. I had dropped one into the road (intentionally), cut the trunk off to use for firewood, backed the 790 up to it to hook the chain on. It is a steep bank, so I couldn't get too close, I started up the bank to see a 3' Garter snake 4-5' from me. Biggest garter snake I've every seen! And he/she was not a happy camper, head flattened out mouth wide open. I'm not afraid of snakes, but I do prefer to see them a little sooner! He/she went on it's way with a little prodding. ~~ Lowell
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 05:10 PM

A 3 foot garter snake?! Are you sure that's what it was? I have never seen a garter over 2 foot here. I think they can get that big in a normal lifespan, and im sure they do but I have never seen one that big.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 05:47 PM

I like to catch them (garter snakes and milk snakes) and show them to my wife. She used to freak out and run, but anymore she just cringes and shies away LOL. I've seen a few that were approaching 3', but don't know that they were quite there yet.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 05:55 PM

Cool pictures Ryan. I personally give them a wide berth, no matter what type they are.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#9 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 06:28 PM

A 3 foot garter snake?! Are you sure that's what it was? I have never seen a garter over 2 foot here. I think they can get that big in a normal lifespan, and im sure they do but I have never seen one that big.

Yes, it was just a common Garter snake, biggest I've ever seen! Like you, 2' is normally a big one, I looked them up & the source I found said they can grow to 54". ~~ Lowell
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 07:01 PM

Steve, I have only ever caught one milk snake. Last fall I went outside the basement door and I stepped on (I dont know the name of it) the little ramp looking thing under the door and a out came a 2 1/2 foot milk snake. Every other snake I have caught was striking when I picked them up but the milk snake was completely calm. After holding them for a few minutes they normally calm down enough to hold and let crawl through your hands, and take cool pics like the ones I posted.

Lowell, I dont know if I would completely trust your source. People can post anything on the internet, true or not. Im sure they can get to that size but it would be incredibly rare and it would need conditions 100% in its favor.

Other then this water snake, and the milk snake I mentioned, I have never caught anything but garters and ribbon snakes. And ribbon snakes are just a sub-species of garter snakes. (snakes hit while mowing not counted)

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Cool pics, but I'd prefer to stay away and I won't tolerate them around the house. I grew up in an area where most of the snakes could be quite poisonous (Black and Green Mambas, spitting cobras, boomslangs and numerous adders) I even had a snake chase ME once while I was bush-hogging.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 08:02 PM

Nightcrawlers are as big as I handle. Anything bigger than that, and I'm looking for a place to land!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 08:28 PM

Cool pics, but I'd prefer to stay away and I won't tolerate them around the house. I grew up in an area where most of the snakes could be quite poisonous (Black and Green Mambas, spitting cobras, boomslangs and numerous adders) I even had a snake chase ME once while I was bush-hogging.

Where did you grow up?! LOL! I like having them around, they keep mice down some and they are very interesting once you realize that they aren't all out to get you. Lol

#14 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 09:07 PM

I thought 54" was a bit much too! The big snakes around here are Black Snakes, I have seen them around 6', though rare, 3-4' is more common with them. This was, by far, the biggest Garter snake I've seen!

Nothing poisonous here! Now on the other side of the river (5 miles), it's a different story. Some pretty big Timber Rattlers over there & a few Copperheads! ~~ Lowell

Edited by grnspot110, April 20, 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 11:10 AM

This morning I went out by the water and saw a 2 foot brown water snake. It was sitting next to a hole and I grabbed it as it was going into the hole, it was about half in and half out. It wedged itself in pretty good and I didn't want to hurt it by pulling it out so I just let it go. Just came back from another walk and saw a garter as it was slithering into a rock wall, couldn't see how big it was. After 15 feet or so I saw one moving across the ground. 1 1/2 foot garter, this is about average size for a garter here.

After finding that one I continued my walk and saw the tails of two brown water snakes going into a brush pile. I looked for them a tiny bit but I didn't want to rip apart the pile and destroy a good hiding place for the snakes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

How bad do you guys think we can freak out the members who dont like snakes? If anybody else has pics, I would like to see them!