• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 09:50 AM

yesterday was the first time i drove my 126 since i loaded into my truck.it does not seem to have a govener on it and the throttle is a little jumpy is it posible that i am missing a spring on the linkage?
the other question isthe shift lever seams sloppy is there any fix to this(its a 3 speed) trying to fint the gears is a pain

thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 10:01 AM

Backwoods, have you had a look in the manuals section to see if there's a service manual or parts manual for the 126 there. That should show you the correct governor connections. You may want to post a picture of what you have and the CC experts can take a look at it for you. The service manual may also help with the shift lever. Sorry I can't be more specific but I'm not experienced with the CC tractors.

#3 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hi backwoods;
I can tell you the problem I had with my 70. The shifter got weird and did not shift right. I pulled the shifter area apart and found a broken roll pin in the shifter handle. I allowed it to slop around. It will give you a starting point anyhow. If I remember correctly the shift tower came out the top.
Kurtee
  • backwoods said thank you

#4 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 08:36 PM

ok thanks not sure when ill have a chance to mess with it but first chance ill take a look how does the rear tin come off?

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,441 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 06:58 AM

There should be a spring on the throttle to governor linkage:
126CubGovenor.jpeg
The Kohler service manual is here:
http://gardentractor...service-manual/
There is a 126 Parts manual. I took this pic from it for the shifter:
126CubShifter.jpeg
  • backwoods said thank you

#6 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 03:46 PM

Part number 3 (the cup shaped piece) on the diagram that Kenny posted is welded to the shift handle from the factory. That part often times breaks free of the shifter and allows the lever to flop around in all sorts of directions. There is actually a groove in it in the front side and there is a pin in the shift housing part number 8 that rides in the groove to keep it aligned.

The picture doesnt do justice to how its actually assembled. The handle and the cup are actually installed from under the shift housing and then part numbers 19,4,5,6, and 7 are secured to the shift handle from the top and the roll pin number 2 holds the whole thing together as a unit. The entire housing is then bolted down on top of the transmission.
  • KennyP and backwoods have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,441 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 07:26 PM

I've never had the pleasure of removing one of these, so your post helped me understand it all better. Thanks!
  • IHCubGuy said thank you

#8 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 08:43 PM

thanks guys when it stops raining here ill have to go take a look at it

#9 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 03:04 PM

Posted Image

well here the only shot i have of it so far. got to plow mine and the neighbors driveways this morning due to a freak snow storm the hit the north east last night

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 03:09 PM

I cant help with your question unfortunately, it seems like the other members have a good handle on it. Nice cub and I hope you get the bugs worked out soon!

#11 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 04:05 PM

well i have completely taking the shifter apart and part 3 was not welded on and just haging out in there and somebody had welded a mess on there to keep the shifterfrom coming out of place and the whole on the top of part 3 is now the size of a quarter.does anyone have a pic of what it should look like?

#12 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 06:47 PM

well i have completely taking the shifter apart and part 3 was not welded on and just haging out in there and somebody had welded a mess on there to keep the shifterfrom coming out of place and the whole on the top of part 3 is now the size of a quarter.does anyone have a pic of what it should look like?

Thats the way they were from the factory. The cup piece (number 3) is not fitted tight to the shift handle. There is filler material there and the hole in it is pretty big. Bout the size of a quarter like you said. My advice is to toss it and get a new shift handle or a good used one. I've never had luck at getting them to go back together where it would both work properly and also last. As for a pic that breakdown is probably the best you'll find.

#13 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 02:02 PM

does anyone know what othe cub shifters will work on the 126? or will all narrow frome 3 speeds the same?

#14 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 09:13 PM

i have searched ebay and craigs list and have not found one yet does anyone know where i can find the parts or a whole shifter?

#15 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 09:18 PM

You will need one to fit a 106, 126. I am not sure but one from a 104,124 may be the same as well. Anything older or newer will not work as the shift handles are shaped differently. I will pm you some info.