• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 outlaw070665 OFFLINE  

outlaw070665
  • Member No: 8679
  • 6 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 08:20 AM

just got the massey 12 home i need a coil for it it has a tecumseh hh120 on it i don't want to convert it right now just wish to keep close to orignal as possible it was running but the last owner didn't get the bolts or screws tight enough on the coil so it slipped and hit the fly wheel so it needs a new coil on it anyone got one laying around thats good they want to sell? contact me at outlaw070665@hotmail.com024.JPG 025.JPG 026.JPG

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 08:51 AM

They pretty scarce and pricey.
This is another option.
Paste this link into your browser.
http://home.earthlin...toller/id9.html
  • IamSherwood and outlaw070665 have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 08:57 AM

There are at least two different styles on those. Can you take a picture of it? That'll help us figure out what you need to be looking for.

My SS12 had the same issue. Only real damage was it "turned" the pickup head. I was able to epoxy it back together and use it. I have since replaced it, but I still have it as a backup / test unit (invaluable for troubleshooting.
  • outlaw070665 said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 10:09 AM

I think you need to find a flywheel shroud as well. That's a definite safety hazard. Not having the shroud will also prevent the flywheel fan from cooling the engine properly.
  • outlaw070665 said thank you

#5 outlaw070665 OFFLINE  

outlaw070665
  • 6 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 12:14 AM

i have the shroud just have it off for now to see what damage was done when the coil slipped plus to see what coil it has on it allso will take better pictures tomarrow of the coil

#6 outlaw070665 OFFLINE  

outlaw070665
  • 6 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted May 03, 2012 - 01:17 PM

mag 001.JPG mag 002.JPG sorry it's taken so long to get back to you fella's it's been a little hecktic lately here's two pic's of the coil tryed regaping it and see if it would fire it does not hope you guy's can help me figure out what mag this is thanks for all the help so far fella's sincerely outlaw070665

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 01:40 AM

There are a couple on Ebay right now. But have you checked this out with a meter? Also have you taken the flywheel off yet? I just got the same engine on a MF12 That I just bought. It also had no spark or a weak intermittent one. I took everything off and cleaned it all good. I also didn't trust my ignition switch ( it didn't look original) So I hooked up a temp toggle switch, One lead went to a good ground and the other lead from the switch went to the Green wire coming from the Stator ( it is the center wire that is plugged into the voltage regulator) This is now my temp Kill switch. I noticed while cleaning the Mag that the pick up ( the piece in 2nd photo, that has the white plastic insulator around it) had some metal shavings wedged between it and the aluminum housing of the mag body. it is a very narrow gap, and I had to use a fine pick to clean it out. Then I sprayed it well with contact cleaner. After this I removed the Flywheel and cleaned the Stator and flywheel magnets well, then sprayed it all down with contact cleaner also. After everything was clean, I reinstalled everything. And adjusted the gap to the factory specs, Believe it was .008, after all this I flipped my kill switch to the on position (open) cranked the engine over and it started right up. If you download the manual we have on here, it has all the specs and procedures for checking and adjusting the mag.( Like the 2 pins in the flywheel heights, and what the coil and mag should have for resistance.) I really believe in my case that my mag was just grounded out from those metal shavings.
I don't know if you know yet, but the coil on these is part of the Stator (witch is under flywheel) The pictures you took is called the Ignition unit. Hope all this helps you out. Good luck!
  • MH81 and outlaw070665 have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 04:37 PM

If you do a little poking around, there are work arounds for this ignition system, but the first thing you need to do is the "Tickle" test.

Disconnect the wires where they bolt onto the piece of plastic on the front of the engine tin (about 9 o'clock if you're looking at the flywheel). The wire that was under that screw that obviously goes back behind the flywheel, hold onto it and also touch a part of that same hand to the engine block. Then have someone turn the engine over. It will tingle, not painful, but it will tell you if the stator is working properly.

This isn't a test I'd advise for people with pacemakers...
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 04, 2012 - 04:57 PM

If you do a little poking around, there are work arounds for this ignition system, but the first thing you need to do is the "Tickle" test.

Disconnect the wires where they bolt onto the piece of plastic on the front of the engine tin (about 9 o'clock if you're looking at the flywheel). The wire that was under that screw that obviously goes back behind the flywheel, hold onto it and also touch a part of that same hand to the engine block. Then have someone turn the engine over. It will tingle, not painful, but it will tell you if the stator is working properly.

This isn't a test I'd advise for people with pacemakers...

Or just have someone hang onto the high tension lead and crank it over fast :bigrofl: Just kidding I couldn't resist this one :p