• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gbrown OFFLINE  

gbrown

• Member No: 8021
  • 20 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Bought this disc and plow off craigslist recently. The seller took them on trade from someone who owed him money and didn't know anything about them.

The disc has an id plate on it that says Wheel Horse but the plow has nothing. I bought this under the impression that the plow was incomplete and needed an arm and depth wheel fabricated for it but, the more I look at this the more I wonder if the disc is meant to unbolt and the plow bolts up in its place. Do any of you guys know? See the pics...

Attached Thumbnails

• Wheelhorse Disc 1_mini.JPG
  • Wheelhorse Disc 4_mini.JPG
  • Wheelhorse Disc 5_mini.JPG
  • Plow 1_mini.JPG
  • Plow 2_mini.JPG

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 09:59 PM

I keep looking at these pics. It looks like the bar on the harrow is the main bar for the plow also? The 2nd pic were it is stamped plow only, that section is puzzling me. were the hitch mounts you can see the rust marks from something bolting up into those 2 lower holes? If there are 2 holes in the bar thats on the disk now that are the same space apart as the plate on the adjuster, then I would say it is a multi use bar. Maybe a wheel horse guy has seen one before. Good luck with it. Looks like a nice set up to me though.
  • gbrown said thank you

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 10:08 PM

I would swear I've seen this set up before, and on this site also.

#4 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 11:01 PM

This is a few pieces from an implement system sold from 1979 - 1987. It came with tool bar, 10" plow, 42" disc & 36" cultivator. You also had to purchase a sleeve hitch to go along with this. You dont see a whole lot of these around. I don't think they sold a ton of these even though they were offered for 9 years. Not sure, but I think these were furnished by Brinly.

Edited by jusjeepn, April 19, 2012 - 11:04 PM.

• gbrown said thank you

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 12:11 AM

This is a few pieces from an implement system sold from 1979 - 1987. It came with tool bar, 10" plow, 42" disc & 36" cultivator. You also had to purchase a sleeve hitch to go along with this. You dont see a whole lot of these around. I don't think they sold a ton of these even though they were offered for 9 years. Not sure, but I think these were furnished by Brinly.

Great info. So It looks like maybe everything is there, just missing the cultivator attachment.

#6 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 05:26 AM

As jusjeepin said, these were furnished by Brinly. Simplicity offered the same set of garden tools under their name and you can download the Operator's Manual including the parts list here:

http://gardentractor...arden-tool-kit/

Looks like you're missing the coulter blade and hanger assembly from the plow. Also, the tool bar is attached to the disc frame backwards and the sleeve hitch adapter should be attached to the other end of the tool bar.
  • gbrown said thank you

#7 gbrown OFFLINE  

gbrown

• 20 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 09:23 PM

I would swear I've seen this set up before, and on this site also.

You busted me! :smilewink: I posted about this in the Implement forum a while back but didn't get the info I was looking for so I thought I'd try it here. Plus, I figured the Wheel Horse guys might like to see the disc.

#8 gbrown OFFLINE  

gbrown

• 20 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 09:31 PM

As jusjeepin said, these were furnished by Brinly. Simplicity offered the same set of garden tools under their name and you can download the Operator's Manual including the parts list here:

http://gardentractor...arden-tool-kit/

Looks like you're missing the coulter blade and hanger assembly from the plow. Also, the tool bar is attached to the disc frame backwards and the sleeve hitch adapter should be attached to the other end of the tool bar.

Thanks for the info. Could you clarify some things for me?

1) When you say: "Looks like you're missing the coulter blade and hanger assembly from the plow", are you implying that, when complete, my plow should look like a standard Brinly moldboard plow? Not that I disagree with you, I was just hoping the plow would bolt up to what you refer to as the tool bar.

2) Which part is the tool bar the you say is attached backwards?

3) If the sleeve hitch adapter and the tool bar are attached backwards, couldn't I just move the sleeve hitch adapter to the other end of the implement?

I really don't know anything about this thing and am trying to figure it out. Thanks for your help.

#9 gbrown OFFLINE  

gbrown

• 20 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 09:37 PM

achomesteader, I just checked out the manual you linked me to and it's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks so much!

Garrett

#10 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 04:40 AM

Garrett, since you've got the manual now, I assume you found the answers to the questions you asked. If not, just let me know.

Edited by achomesteader, April 21, 2012 - 04:42 AM.

• gbrown said thank you

#11 gbrown OFFLINE  

gbrown

• 20 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 09:10 PM

Garrett, since you've got the manual now, I assume you found the answers to the questions you asked. If not, just let me know.

Yeah, the manual got me all lined out. I'll just fab those missing parts and be ready to go. I wonder about where to buy 'shovels' or teeth or whatever they're called so I could build the cultivator part of this too. Maybe TSC???

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 09:15 PM

I have a very similar Wheel Horse plow. I dont have any info on it but hopefully it will help you some.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • gbrown said thank you

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 10:41 PM

Ryan, that could be one of 3 different models that Wheel Horse made between 1965 and 1967. The PP-8-A or PP-85 look exactly the same and have the same part numbers for every piece (something unfortunate that they did was change model numbers on the same equipment from year to year). It could also be the PP-87, which again looks identical, but some of the parts are listed with different numbers, namely the standard, frog, moldboard, landside, and point. It could be that they are the same parts, but with different part numbers.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#14 gbrown OFFLINE  

gbrown

• 20 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 10:15 PM

Does this look better? 0508021740.jpg

#15 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:12 AM

Looks right to me. :thumbs: