Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 12:46 PM

Got it !! Brought it home and drained the milky engine oil and flushed a few times , greased and oiled then for a test run. Gas smells funny but starts. My first time behind a walk behind runs nice , does shake with the blades running but maybe that's normal ? The blades are very dull but still cut enough for me to do a section of the garden . I took some pictures of the clutch and a very special shut off lol too .

Attached Thumbnails

• P4210533.JPG
  • P4210528.JPG
  • P4210529.JPG
  • P4210530.JPG

#17 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 12:53 PM

Al, I am glad to hear that it runs and cuts. I like twine, it looks outdoors like. Congratulations.

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 01:05 PM

I like twine, it looks outdoors like.

Yea pretty sure that's why the engine oil was so milky too much being " outdoors" lol . The transmission oil was fine so that was good .The wife asked if there was any more attachments for this tractor , I bet she'll regret saying that :lol:

#19 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Well it's got a ball lock clutch and the one piece frame. What's the model number?

#20 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Glad to hear you sealed the deal.

Love that custom made shut off,,,, :thumbs:

#21 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 08:28 PM

Well it's got a ball lock clutch and the one piece frame. What's the model number?

Is a "ball lock clutch "any good ? The tractor #s 917.5751 Series 128 and the mower is 917.57569 . I found a box of blades that my grandfather had but they where too wide ,must fit the Tri-Trac . I'll try sharpening these until I get a replacement set.

#22 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 12:20 AM

No 51 model used a ball lock clutch, if its a 51 its a spring clutch. The same clutch should be on the mower unit also.

Kind of interesting that the picture looks like a ball lock unit, but as far as i know you cant put one to the other.

The mower probally need adjusting more than new parts. You have to have the cutting bar set right for a good job. A lite grinding will improve the section, you dont have to take a lot off. I wouldnt even try to do anything with the snake heads as there easy to mess up trying to sharpen them.
  • Alc said thank you

#23 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 04:56 AM

You need to check the guards also. On my 5753 mower some of the ledger plates are missing, and several of the guards had water in them that froze and broke, that is probably why the ledger plates are missing. And some body had installed some of the wear plates wrong.

On mine there is enough wear on top the sections that it's impossible to tighten the sections down to the ledger plates enough to make it cut.

Some Jari and Gravely parts should work on the bar, or you can try sickle service.com
  • Alc said thank you

#24 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Noticed one of the blade's rivets are loose , can they just be repeened to tightened ? There is a swap meet next month near me , maybe I can find some extra blades there .

#25 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 01:33 AM

yes you can reset the rivets, but you need to have or make a punch to do it right.

To make a setting punch you need to find a 1/4" ball bearing, like the ones in the ball lock, and a piece of 1/2 rod. You will need to drill an indent into a scrap piece of metal plate, thicker the better. This is for the ball to set into. Take a torch and heat the rods end up red hot, then place it on the ball and wack it with a hammer. This will get you the shape for setting a head on the rivet.
  • Alc and outlaw070665 have said thanks

#26 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 06:00 AM

Thanks Lauber1 , , I'm sure glad I asked first , I would have just used a hammer and not done as good as a job I bet , Al

#27 outlaw070665 OFFLINE  

outlaw070665
  • Member No: 8679
  • 6 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:08 PM

you know if you are a good enough welder you can build up the plates and grind them back down to where you need them and as for replacement blades it's a little work to do it but you can take full sized blades and grind them down to what you need size wise and redrill the holes i have done it several times for friends who have sickle bar mower attachments for their gt's and for a few walk behinds
  • Alc said thank you

#28 outlaw070665 OFFLINE  

outlaw070665
  • Member No: 8679
  • 6 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:19 PM

by the way lauber1 i have never done it the way you do the way my grand dad taught me to do it just use a punch and slowly work your way around the rivet making sure to just do the edges so you keep the center crown of the rivet as thick as possible for strengh i think that yours is a better way because once the tool is made you have whenever you need it thanks for the info