Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Never had a 2w tractor and thought this one I could use to cut my winter cover crop and then the sorghum grass , any thoughts ? Thanks , Al

http://allentown.cra...2953263079.html

#2 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 09:06 PM

well a walkbehind for brush or tall weeds I'd say that is a steal...as far as a walkbehind to mow with regularly...not sure...

Edited by NutCASE, April 19, 2012 - 09:06 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#3 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 09:17 PM

Sure looks to be in good shape Al. I think that it would work for what you have planned. Definitely not going to mow your lawn with it. My Dad had one of these when I was a kid. He used it to mow a field at the back end of our property whenever it got too overgrown. Don't know what happened to it when we moved but sure wish I had it today.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 09:18 PM

Al, I'm not informed enough to tell you about the price. My Dad said those where good machines, and should do the job well...

Good Luck and maybe one of the two wheel guys will jump in.

It's a good looking machine and has wheel weights also.

#5 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 10:02 PM

I don't know what to tell you about that tractor. Personally, I'd look at something like this for rugged cutting ability.
http://allentown.cra...2915273268.html
Electric start, 4 speeds forward and reverse, and the heaviest small mower ever made.

#6 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 12:43 AM

Well i see what looks to be the remains of a 51 model. Seems that some one put a 5hp tec engine on it, the orginal fuel tank mount is missing, but he does have the hood. It wont fit over that engine but its a plus. The mower has been direct connected to the engine as i dont see a second control handle on the bars, so be careful as its going to cut as soon as you start the tractor and thats about where your feet will be. wheel weights are a plus and the tires dont look to bad. This type of mower wont cut stuff much less than a foot tall very cleanly. If you decide to buy, rember tha the orginal engine was only 1.6 hp and the newer one is around 5hp, so dont run the rpms up much past idle or the mower drive may not like you. If your going to restore this unit, i'd ask him to take $50 off for the missing parts/wrong engine.
  • Alc said thank you

#7 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 03:45 AM

One thing to think about is the sickle uses 2" sections, while not impossible to find they are 3 to 4 times the price of the 3" sections. I did find them for mine, but I didn't want to spend over $300 just to rebuild the bar. The sections are about $2.50 apiece and the guards are around $40 apiece new.

Edited by Amigatec, April 20, 2012 - 03:45 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 06:03 AM

Thanks , thats the kind of info I wouldn't have even thought of , I'm going to call and see if he has the original engine and other parts , I think it would like to have athe hood on but that wouldn't be the deal breaker . But I sure after buying one I would want to get other attachments for it ( isn't that how it starts lol ) Howard here's what I was going to use it for http://gardentractor...sses-for-mulch/ The other area I would use it for is the other garden spot , right now has winter rye growing and it would be nice to cut it down for mulch as I need to perpare the ground for use . The Tri-Trac wouldn't be able to cut it without running over so much other stuff ( because the bar mounts off the side instead of the front like this one . Thanks again all , Al

Well i see what looks to be the remains of a 51 model. Seems that some one put a 5hp tec engine on it, the orginal fuel tank mount is missing, but he does have the hood. It wont fit over that engine but its a plus. The mower has been direct connected to the engine as i dont see a second control handle on the bars, so be careful as its going to cut as soon as you start the tractor and thats about where your feet will be. wheel weights are a plus and the tires dont look to bad. This type of mower wont cut stuff much less than a foot tall very cleanly. If you decide to buy, rember tha the orginal engine was only 1.6 hp and the newer one is around 5hp, so dont run the rpms up much past idle or the mower drive may not like you. If your going to restore this unit, i'd ask him to take $50 off for the missing parts/wrong engine.

#9 outlaw070665 OFFLINE  

outlaw070665
  • Member No: 8679
  • 6 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 07:43 AM

yes it's a good find i have one that i'm looking to restore to the condtion that one is in well worth the money get it quick before some one else
  • Alc said thank you

#10 outlaw070665 OFFLINE  

outlaw070665
  • Member No: 8679
  • 6 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 07:48 AM

granted its got a few things wrong but its still worth it

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 10:37 AM

Talked with the fellow selling of course he's selling for someone else lol . Doesn't have anything else to go with it as far as orginial engine ect. Is there anything that I should be aware of looking at the drivetrain ? Is this a different drivetrain since it only had a 1.6hp and now has a bigger one then maybe one that had a higher hp or later year ? He said the owner used to to cut under a electric fence and drag logs ., thanks , Al

#12 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 03:51 PM

The drive train / tranny is the same. The only concern that I would have is the clutch facings. More than likely they are fine as they were made to handle years and years of use with general care and adjustment. The clutch facings could be glazed though and cause slippage, but that is a fairly simple fix. We can help you with that when the time comes. As Lauber stated earlier, I would also try to get the price a little lower, especially if I were planning on restoring to original.
  • Alc said thank you

#13 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 05:18 PM

If it has the original spring clutch, it may slip with a motor bigger than 3 hp.

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 09:09 PM

Ended up working late tonight so I'll go tomorrow morning to look at it .Good thing about that I'll have extra $$ to pay for it .

If it has the original spring clutch, it may slip with a motor bigger than 3 hp.

Where there different types of clutches , I think my Tri-trac has a " ball clutch " which by the way needs to be adjusted , won't lock it so I have to hold the handle in place. Al

#15 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 12:38 AM

yes there are several differnt clutchs made over the yrs. The earlier models used a spring loaded dual disc. later on they went to the ball lock one using dual disc, then to a single disc ball lock. Your tri-trac uses a ball lock but its special to that model and hard to find.
  • Alc said thank you