Jump to content

Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Plastic Tank Petcocks?

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  


    Getting Out!

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,746 Thanks
  • 7,983 posts
  • Location: Huntington, IN 46750 North East in State

Posted April 19, 2012 - 06:07 PM

Have a newer Power King and think I saw same on an IH one time. Have plastic gas tanks in later models. The shut-off petcocks are usually a push-in item, fitting into a rubber grommet like part. The grommets get hard and dry out, break. Those valves have a small screen on them sometimes. Wondering if those are a common item I can buy? Suggestions on what brand or where? Would like the new grommet and valve with screen. I hate plastic tanks!

#2 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  


    GT Tinkerer

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,163 Thanks
  • 1,331 posts
  • Location: Mancelona, MI

Posted April 19, 2012 - 06:17 PM

I believe the grommet you are looking for is NAPA and Prime Line part number 7-07461. Around $2.50.

  • caseguy said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  


    Super Moderator

  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 14,158 posts
  • Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia - Canada

Posted April 19, 2012 - 06:43 PM

I know what you mean. The petcock is stuck in the on position on my 314. I could not budge it. I didn't want to risk busting the plastic tank by trying to remove the valve so I installed an inline shutoff valve and just left it alone.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  


    Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts
  • Location: Edinburg, PA

Posted April 19, 2012 - 07:25 PM

That's a regular maintenance item on the newer Wheel Horse models (~ 1978 and newer) I have always thought they were a Wheel Horse only part and they get like $7-$8 for them (I have 3 or 4 in a box up in the garage...like I said, a COMMON problem!). I'm certainly gonna check out the NAPA part and see if it will work for me too!

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,483 Thanks
  • 1,592 posts
  • Location: Mainitoba Canada

Posted April 19, 2012 - 08:22 PM

Another source is on a snowmobile tank,They use the same rubber groumet that the steel fuel line elbows go into.The plastic/rubber lines hook up to the elbow on the inside and out side of the tanks. At least this is were I've been getting mine from. Larry