17 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 07:56 AM

Always have to stop at Red Lobster when we are in Sioux Falls. That's about as close as we get to the coast now.
We used to dig the clams with a clam gun. Was made out of a 2' to 3' length of galvanized stove pipe with a cap and a small hole on one end. There was also a wooden handle on that same end. You would look for the hole on the sand and push the stove pipe down in the sand over the hole. Then before pulling the stove pipe back out you placed your thumb over the hole in the handle creating a vacuum as you lifted. This would suck all the sand in the pipe along with the clam up and out of the sand and water. Then release the hole and everything fell out of the pipe and you picked up the clam. Darned sand and water got heavy after a while. Also used tiling spades. Clams,Crab, ousters, sea perch, flounder, and Salmon where all plentiful. The only thing really missing was plenty of warm sunny weather. Seemed like it was always cool and damp,
Enjoy it while it last Chris. You never know when you might find yourself in a different location.

While I will go to Red Lobster, it is my least favorite sea food place. Every time they get something on the menu I really like, they have dropped it by the time I get back. I prefer Olive Garden or the Water Front is the Resturant that has the sea Food flown in a few times a week and is the Fish Market for all the finer resturaunts in Des Moines.

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 11:37 AM

Several years ago the Wife and I stopped back at Bay Center WA. just to satisfy my curiosity. When we stepped out of the car I was overwhelmed by the sounds and smells that we took for granted for so many years. Sea Gulls, Ocean smells, Commercial fishing boats, and salt water. Everything came flooding back and I just stood with a big grin on my face. All I had to do was close my eyes and it was 40 years earlier. The problem is now my heart is in the Dakotas but it was fun going back.

As I recall we could only keep the male crabs and they had to be at least 6.5 inches across the back. Used to take the boat out into the bay and drop a crab pot (trap) overboard. There was a wooden box in the pot that had holes in it. We would put fish guts in the box and the crabs would be attracted to the scent. An hour latter we would pull the crab pot back up and sort out the crabs. Latter in the evening we would have a sea food feed of fresh crabs, fish, and clams. This could go on forever so I better get out of here.
Thanks again for the memories.
  • chris m said thank you

#18 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 07:46 AM

Thanks for the pics Chris, good to see you spending time with your Dad. My sole experience with clams were the deep fried ones that we occasionally threw in the fryer when the managers were not around when I worked at a Big Boy 30 years ago, have not ate any since.