• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 10:57 PM

I took my Dad claming, This was our first time out this season. we go from shore in one of the salt ponds near us. weather was great and the tide was low. We only stayed for about an hour and a half and dug 1/2 a Bushel. So it was a great day! Now we'll make some stuffed clams and chowder, the rest of the medium size we will cook on the grill in there shells . Just thought I would share. thanks for reading . :p PICT1175.JPG
  • daytime dave, MH81 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 04:57 AM

Sounds like a good time Chris! I always wondered if the term Quohaug was something only used in parts of Nova Scotia. I guess it's common all along the Atlantic coast. I haven't gone digging for a long time but we used to do it at least once a year when I was a kid.
  • chris m said thank you

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 05:19 AM

Sounds like a good way to spend time with your Dad! Enjoy the meals!
  • chris m said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for sharing , glad you let us know what " quohauging " was , never heard of that before Al
  • chris m said thank you

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 06:21 AM

Mmmmmmm. Clam chowder. One of my favourites. And fresh clams to boot.
What time is diner?
  • chris m said thank you

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 07:57 AM

Chris, that is a really neat thing to me. I've only heard of it, I have never known anyone that has done it. Fresh clams. Mmmmm sounds like a great chowder.

Thanks for sharing that.
  • chris m said thank you

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 09:11 AM

I can remember waking in the morning to the smell of fresh fried clams for breakfast. Man that sounds good.
Thanks for the memories,
Chris
  • chris m said thank you

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 03:43 PM

What a great memory with your dad. Thanks for Sharing.

I had never heard of Quohauging so I learned something today.
  • chris m said thank you

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 06:10 PM

I believe that we used to call a clam similar to that Gooie Ducks. This was on the West Coast in Willapa Bay Washington. Razor clams were also common. Boy do I love fresh seafood.
  • chris m said thank you

#10 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 07:56 PM

What a great memory with your dad. Thanks for Sharing.

I had never heard of Quohauging so I learned something today.

I even use a Farming tool to dig them.Posted Image I use a six tine potato rake, I am always looking for more because they are getting hard to find now.

#11 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 08:05 PM

I believe that we used to call a clam similar to that Gooie Ducks. This was on the West Coast in Willapa Bay Washington. Razor clams were also common. Boy do I love fresh seafood.

Me Too! I could live on it! This is my favorite time of year! Soon I will be surf fishing from the beach for Striped Bass and Blue fish. Then I'll be getting the Blue claw crabs in the pond.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for sharing Chris. Looks like a good day.

I'm not a big clam fan, but I have had them. Best I had was in a meal with a southern boil and some other sea food. They were cooked (buried) in wood embers for IDK how long, but they had a smokey flavor.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 08:21 PM

Thats one of the things I find difficult living in the midwest. I dearly love all forms of sea food and we can only get it frozen or packed on ice and flown to Des Moines a couple times a week. Very Pricey that way.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 19, 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 11:28 PM

Always have to stop at Red Lobster when we are in Sioux Falls. That's about as close as we get to the coast now.
We used to dig the clams with a clam gun. Was made out of a 2' to 3' length of galvanized stove pipe with a cap and a small hole on one end. There was also a wooden handle on that same end. You would look for the hole on the sand and push the stove pipe down in the sand over the hole. Then before pulling the stove pipe back out you placed your thumb over the hole in the handle creating a vacuum as you lifted. This would suck all the sand in the pipe along with the clam up and out of the sand and water. Then release the hole and everything fell out of the pipe and you picked up the clam. Darned sand and water got heavy after a while. Also used tiling spades. Clams,Crab, ousters, sea perch, flounder, and Salmon where all plentiful. The only thing really missing was plenty of warm sunny weather. Seemed like it was always cool and damp,
Enjoy it while it last Chris. You never know when you might find yourself in a different location.
  • chris m said thank you

#15 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 12:00 AM

Always have to stop at Red Lobster when we are in Sioux Falls. That's about as close as we get to the coast now.
We used to dig the clams with a clam gun. Was made out of a 2' to 3' length of galvanized stove pipe with a cap and a small hole on one end. There was also a wooden handle on that same end. You would look for the hole on the sand and push the stove pipe down in the sand over the hole. Then before pulling the stove pipe back out you placed your thumb over the hole in the handle creating a vacuum as you lifted. This would suck all the sand in the pipe along with the clam up and out of the sand and water. Then release the hole and everything fell out of the pipe and you picked up the clam. Darned sand and water got heavy after a while. Also used tiling spades. Clams,Crab, ousters, sea perch, flounder, and Salmon where all plentiful. The only thing really missing was plenty of warm sunny weather. Seemed like it was always cool and damp,
Enjoy it while it last Chris. You never know when you might find yourself in a different location.

That sounds like a great way to get clams! but they won't allow it here, our regulations are strict here. Just like for crabing, I live on the CT, RI borden, in CT you can crab at night with a light. In RI you can't even go at night, CT can use crab traps, RI just a net.And as far as moving to a diffrent location, Been there done that! I always come back to RI, The ocean here always draws me back! I was raised on the Ocean and can't imagine not having it near me.
  • Cvans said thank you