• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 08:25 PM

I got up this morning, just like every other day... wishing for one more hour or some really good coffee already brewed. Mistake number 1. I shouldn't waste my wishes on the impossible, I guess.

I managed to stagger thru my morning routine and got some joe in my system. eventually it began to work & I felt alert enough to drive to work... mistake number 2.

My boss was on a Holy Rip today & was on the hunt for the guy who peed in his cheerios. He really wasn't worried about collateral damage either. Managed to get away from him and busied myself in stuff that needed done. Even if it could wait, it was worked on today to help keep me off the radar.

Punched out at 5:00:01 PM and down the road. Bought gas and headed for home where my trusty steed awaited. My MF10 with the short 650 tiller and the wide tiller were waiting to be assembled.

Plan: get home in time to swap tiller bodies & till the garden.

Reality: Get home to find out my wife had made plans to go bowling. Made a deal with the Devil and got my oldest convinced he would willingly babysit while I did what I needed to do.

Got the tiller off the 10 (those springs are a "B") and started to line everything up on the one with the extension. Well, that was a half hour wasted... new tiller has a square shaft; old has splines. OK, narrow one back on. While I was doing that, I found a major problem (thank goodness I found it tho.) The output shaft on the 90 degree gearbox rides in a bushing on the front end. I should say rode, past tense. I think it's been gone for a while by the looks of the area where the bushing should be. Weird thing is there was still good oil in it.

I rooted thru all my stuff looking for the right ID/OD bushing. No go & I'm running out of day quickly. Finally came up with a plan. I took a mild 1" to 1/2" pipe adapter & drilled it out to 11/16 (shaft size) then ground down the outside to match up with the mild irregularities from where the bushing should be. Got it in place & fit snug and tried it slowly, then faster, then tilling. Did the whole garden with this thing in there and it's working fine. I do plan on getting the casting trued and the right bushing in there tho.

So, as I write, my wife is on her way from bowling, we're about a half hour behind schedule and I have managed to turn Fun into a Project. At least the garden is done and can have the potatoes planted tomorrow.

I was going to have fun if it killed me :D

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 08:40 PM

Some days just happen like that, from start to finish everything seems to go backwards. I just wish it wasnt so often for me. Murphy's Law- Everything that can go wrong will go wrong at the worst time. Glad to hear you got the tilling done at the end.
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Wow! Sounds like you had a day after your day! I did too. Bad things happen to PTO drive shafts that sit in the mud for a few years! Nuff said! Glad that you accomplished your original task...even though you took the scenic route to get there!
  • MH81 said thank you

#4 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 08:51 PM

Which reminds me MH81 - how do I apply to FCVAEC and would I need to have anybody vouch for my character , if you know anybody ? My brother finally rebuilt the recoil starter on the Clinton engine for the TROYBILT . See ? Your day is better now .
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hmmm. can I vouch that you're a character. Yup :D

As for joining, you can do that at the registration desk. Glad to hear you're coming!

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 09:09 PM

I am still waiting on the fun part! For the last two weeks, the more i fix something the more it broke. Still working my way out of this one to the fun part. The wife has had more seat time than me.
  • MH81 said thank you

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 09:15 PM

Some days just suck, but then we have those rare "perfect" days that make one smile like the guy in the ED commercials. Hang in there Alan, a smiley day awaits you!
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 09:44 PM

Yep. New Gator blades on and the first pass I hear the deck bearings starting to grumble. Ordered bearings from the local dealer, stripped the hardware off the deck for bearing replacement and a quick paint job. Using Valspar Tractor and Implement. The can says recoat in 4 hrs or after 36. Yea, I rushed it and recoated in 24 and BAM wrinkle city. Wet sanded, waited 24 hrs more, resprayed and BAM, got me again. Ugh, who would have thought this would take soooo long. Good thing I'm working for myself, otherwise I'd have fired me.

Sometimes I guess it's better to chill and just have an adult beverage.
  • MH81 said thank you

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 09:52 PM

I was going to have fun if it killed me

I'm glad it didn't. We would miss you around here. :smilewink:
  • MH81 said thank you

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 10:08 PM

Alan, sorry your day started out as crap. Glad you managed to find a way to make the end fun.
  • MH81 said thank you

#11 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• Member No: 4935
  • 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 10:41 PM

As far as lifting the springs off and on when attaching or removing the tiller, I keep my tiller on a furniture dolly. I can roll it around and line it up easily when using it. The dolly also has the tiller high enough where the springs aren't hard to lift on without loosening the bolts.
  • MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#12 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 10:42 PM

Alan, sorry your day started out as crap. Glad you managed to find a way to make the end fun.

:yeah_that: That was one heck of a day!
  • MH81 said thank you

#13 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Geeze Alan that sounds like a heck of a day.
Just remember the good times.
  • MH81 said thank you

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 05:03 AM

Sounds like you capped a bad day with a victory :thumbs: Great problem solving skills on the bushing Alan. I love to hear about someone using what's at hand to solve a difficult problem. Great story!
  • MH81 said thank you

#15 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 05:29 AM

Great story, Alan. Glad you had a little fun out of the day! Some days, there is just no way!
  • MH81 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bad day, belt