• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and of course I have a question, being new to both the forum and garden tractors repair. I do have some knowledge of repair, just enough to be dangerous! :(

I recently came to own a 214, which I love but it has one issue I am having troubles figuring out.

It idles smooth and has no issue on low idle

When you change it to High run, I guess you'd say surges, I can see the governor moving back and forth.

When I engage the PTO for the mower, it runs smooth as a baby's bottom.

OK some history the 214 has been sitting since last summer. I did hear it run in December of 2011 and it ran fine on High Run.

I cleaned the carburetor bowel out and used carb cleaner but I did not remove the carb off the tractor. I did not change any settings or remove any of the adjustment screws as I was afraid I wouldn't be able to re-adjust them correctly without a manual.

This helped it out and it did run smoother when I started it. I did a visual on the gaskets and they appeared in good shape but again I didn't remove them.

I also ran some Sea Foam through the gas and that also improved the running.

I guess my question would be should I get a gasket kit and just do a rebuild on the carb?

I've ran 2 tanks of gas through the mower at this time.

I forgot to mention if I advance the throttle it does seem to flood and when I reach the high run position it runs smooth a moment then it will surge and sometimes, not all the time it sounds as if it is flooding some. It clears out and runs with the surge.

I associate the sound of flooding by the same sound it would make if the choke is pulled out slightly.

Do I have a governor issue or a carburetor issue? I lean towards the carburetor because the bowl did have tiny black looking sediment and the aluminum had turned that white look. Someone mentioned I had a bad governor or it was out of adjustment, my thinking is it seemed fine back in December and I don't see it getting out of adjustment just sitting there for weeks. I suppose it's possible but I just don't understand.

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 08:33 PM

From your post I think you are on the right track. Pull the carb and give it a good cleaning, it has been sitting so the float could be sticking or you have a partially blocked port. I'll bet you will find some varnish inside.

As far as your adjustment screws, Make two marks one on the carb and one on the screwdriver. Then turn each screw in until it bottoms out as you do this count the number of turns and write the count down on paper. When you put the carb back together run the screws in until they are bottomed again and back each out the number of turn you recorded earlier. When you bottom the adjustment screws don't crank down on them just a light touch snug fit. This should put you in the ball park
  • maxedout said thank you

#3 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 09:24 PM

while you have the carb off check the throttle shaft for side play. if it move very much you need to put in a throttle bushing.
if you need the throttle bushing PM me and I how tell you what you need and how to put it in. It is easy if you know how to do it.

#4 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• Member No: 1289
  • 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 06:47 AM

You should check your governor adjustment. This cured my 110 when I was having trouble.

Attached Thumbnails

• Governor.jpg

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 10:31 AM

While a carb problem is likely you should always do a full tuneup on these older engines. A problem with spark or timing or a leaky head gasket can cause poor running. I'd check timing, plug, points etc to make sure the engine is healthy overall.

#6 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 07:58 PM

While a carb problem is likely you should always do a full tuneup on these older engines. A problem with spark or timing or a leaky head gasket can cause poor running. I'd check timing, plug, points etc to make sure the engine is healthy overall.

Thanks for helping, I should have mentioned, we did new spark plug, new air cleaner, new plug wire, new condensor, new points and the timing is set by the Service manual or as close as he could get it.

I very much appreciate everyone's reply, it's giving me a lot to check out and I've learning something too! Thank you!