Three Point (Power Steering Pump)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dons916 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8790
  • 0 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 10:48 AM

When I made my three point I used a early 70s power steering pump for the Hy.lift. It works OK but has it's problems.It works a little slow when lowering and raising the implements.Even when I rev the engine up.My question is: Would a smaller pulley on the pump help.Guessing it is about 4".an is pressed on and not keyed.Another problem.Thanks again Don

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 06:08 PM

Don, It would depend on the rated speed of those pumps and the actual speed you are getting. I've never used them but I know there are several members on here who have done it. In fact I think the 3pt. project in this topichttp://gardentractor...-gtv16-3-point/ is using one of those pumps. Have a look at the setup there. If you have any questions skyrydr2 (Keith) or KennyP could probably offer some help.

#3 mark843 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 08:32 AM

Do you know the gpm and psi the pump is rated for and at what rpms? This information will be able to help determin if your pump is is capable of the output needed.

#4 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,344 Thanks
  • 4,936 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 09:08 AM

Would it be easier to enlarge your drive pulley?

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,666 Thanks
  • 39,048 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 06:13 PM

Don't know that I have welcomed you yet, Don's916. I can't give much advice as I am only putting mine together and haven't used it as yet. What size hoses have you got on there? What size pulley is on the engine running the pump? There could be lots of things keeping it slow. I'm no wiz on hydraulics, so I can't offer too much help. Is that the original pulley that came on the pump?