• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • Member No: 8858
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 12:08 PM

I was wondering it the points could be bypassed and have an electronic ignition installed in its place? I have one mechanic tell me yes and another no. Has anyone done this?

#2 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 12:35 PM

I forgot to state that the engine is a 16 hp.

#3 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 01:49 PM

I'd suggest getting a Points Saver and sticking with the points.

This info is off Brian Millers Kohler site. http//gardentractorpullingtips.com/ignition.htm
Ignition System Options - (Updated 12/28/11) Top of page
If a Kohler K-series engine originally came with points and condenser ignition, and you're looking for a more reliable and maintenance-free ignition system, well, you have these options...
  • If the engine has magneto ignition, do away with the points and condenser, and install a NOVA 2 solid state ignition module, like the one I sell.
  • If the engine has battery-powered ignition, do away with the condenser, and install the PointsSaverTM from Kirk Engines (http://www.kirkengines.com) for longer points life.
  • Install the ignition and related components off of a Magnum engine. The parts needed are: Magnum bearing plate, starter motor, flywheel w/fins, flywheel shroud and solid state ignition coil (the Magnum ignition system is very similar to Briggs & Stratton's Magnetron ignition). If the engine has battery ignition, a different ignition switch will be required, one that's for magneto/solid state ignition because the Magnum ignition coil needs to be grounded to shut off the engine, and is not powered by the battery/electrical system.
  • Install the crank trigger ignition setup as described in this web site. Install a small "bump" on the edge of the flywheel to trigger the ignition. On a K-series flywheel, the "bump", for the detection of the sensor, will need to be a 3/8" (wrench size) x 3/16" thread diameter hardened steel hex head bolt (screw), and must be set at 20° BTDC for correct ignition timing (for gas). Use the two mounting hole bosses that's at the 10:00 position in the bearing plate (originally for mounting of Kohler's Breakerless Trigger unit) to fasten a fabricated steel bracket to mount the sensor. You'll also need a battery/electrical system to power this type of ignition.
[/list][/list]
  • Juneau said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 03:59 PM

I was just going to suggest Brian Millers site as well. Personally, I stayed with the points system on my K321. It is simple and easy to adjust and troubleshoot.
  • Juneau said thank you

#5 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 09:32 PM

Thanks guys. Today's problem turned out to be the condensor. I changed the points anyway since i had taken the old ones off. I will look into this soon. Before I do anything else I need to set the carb and make a gasket for the point cover. I think moisture is getting in it. Do you know if you can buy the gasket anywhere?

Thanks again.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#6 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 09:42 PM

I have been eyeing the Kirk products for some time. My reading has been filled with many happy customers of his, especially the Pointsaver.

#7 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 09:59 PM

I eyed a few of his products myself....not sure if I will get the point saver at this time since it involves so much for to install. If I have problems with the points (and the mower holds up) I may move in that direction.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 10:00 AM

Thanks guys. Today's problem turned out to be the condensor. I changed the points anyway since i had taken the old ones off. I will look into this soon. Before I do anything else I need to set the carb and make a gasket for the point cover. I think moisture is getting in it. Do you know if you can buy the gasket anywhere?

Thanks again.

Those gaskets should be avialable from any Kohler dealer. Online I've gotten good service on Kohler parts from opeengines.com. Dealers, JDand perhaps others should stock those as well but at slightly higher prices. My local JD dealer will supply some engine parts as Kohler parts rather than JD.
  • Juneau said thank you

#9 Juneau OFFLINE  

Juneau
  • 7 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 04:23 PM

Picked up a gasket today....cost me a buck :bounce:
Thanks again JD Brian

#10 macdoe OFFLINE  

macdoe
  • Member No: 56517
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Hello, I am rebuilding a k341 aqs engine from a 1983 John Deere 300 lawn and garden tractor and have a broken camshaft. I found another engine to steal parts from but it says kohler magnum on it and was used as an engine for a grain auger. I have since read that this camshaft for the 16hp magnum engine won't work in my older k341 aqs engine. Can someone help me determine if these cams are the same? Thanks.

#11 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 02:34 PM

Welcome GTT macdoe;)

I wouldnt think anything other than the above mentioned ignition parts on a magnum would fit on a K series engine, not even all K series parts are interchangable.

#12 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 05:03 PM

Picked up a gasket today....cost me a buck :bounce:
Thanks again JD Brian

How about that little rubber plug that goes on the wire where it exits through the points cover? Silicone sealer would probably work there.

#13 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 05:26 PM

Hello, I am rebuilding a k341 aqs engine from a 1983 John Deere 300 lawn and garden tractor and have a broken camshaft. I found another engine to steal parts from but it says kohler magnum on it and was used as an engine for a grain auger. I have since read that this camshaft for the 16hp magnum engine won't work in my older k341 aqs engine. Can someone help me determine if these cams are the same? Thanks.

The Magnum camshaft will work physically in a K341, BUT, and this is a big BUT, there is no point lobe on the Magnum camshaft.  So you would have to use the entire magneto ignition system and flywheel from the Magnum engine.  I would think it is doable, but watch your switch wiring, the current switch supplies power to the coil to run, with mags the switch needs to supply a ground to shut off.

#14 macdoe OFFLINE  

macdoe
  • Member No: 56517
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 12:45 AM

This engine we are rebuilding is a k341aqs and the spec.no. is 71169a.

What should I be looking for in a parts motor to get the same camshaft?

The guy that I got the magnum engine has another one. It looks alot like the engine we are rebuilding, but is painted blue. It does'nt say magnum on it but rather has the same silver sticker that says k341s. It was also used for a grain auger. Maybe I could see if he will sell that one for cheaper, since it was really noisy when he turned it over. Who knows if the cam is any good on that one though? It was also missing the float bowl for the carb.

It was suggested that I could use the carb from the old k341aqs on the magnum engine. The seller told me that he thinks it would probably run with a new carb.

Maybe I should just see if this magnum engine would bolt into the tractor in place of the old k341aqs? I would have to swap some sheet metal, for my electric starter, since the starter is mounted to the motors in different spots....hopefully this is even possible?

Does anyone know if the magnum engine will bolt into a 76' 300 John Deere? The magnum engine has k341 cast into it. Would the crankshaft dimensions be the same between the old k341 and the k341 magnum engine? They are both 16hp.engines. Do these engines share the same block?Thanks, for the help.

#15 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 10:23 AM

I would suggest checking the service manuals to compare the engine specs, they are readily available in pdf, I have the K-series book but it doesnt include any specs for the magnum engines.

The K341aqs has an application specific oil pan that may or may not fit on the magnum.