• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 martyinmi OFFLINE  

martyinmi
  • Member No: 9516
  • 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 10:16 PM

What a great site you folks have! I'm honored to be a newbie here.

I recently traded a 30 pack of Busch Light for a non running 4018 with a RM60 deck.
It had been sitting for 6 years, the last 3 outside.
I flushed the fuel tank,put on a new fuel line, fuel pump, and filter,cleaned the carb,added a new air filter,battery,throttle cable, and changed the oil and filter. I cranked it for 20-30 seconds ant it took off and ran. It runs great. This is my first experience with an Onan, and so far I'm impressed.
I went to my local dealer today and bought 6 new bearings for the deck(tomorrows project), and also ordered a new grille.
Parts appear to be quite expensive from the dealer. Is there a place where I can get a few more items(lights,decals,tie rod ends,etc.) at a more reasonable price?

I hope you all don't mind me hanging around here from time to time. I've been reading older posts for a couple hours now, and It's clear there are a lot of intelligent, well informed people who hang out here.

Thanks,

Marty

#2 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 12:28 AM

Welcome to GTt Marty, I am glad you found this web site. There are a great bunch of folks here. Got any questions? Just ask. Got any answers? post them.

You have a really good garden tractor. You can learn more about it here and by typing in case ingersoll 4018 in any search engine. There are several sites on the web that have attachments, parts, etc. Joe's on ebay usually has good parts available too.

Yes, new parts for case tractors can get expensive. Shop around and compare prices, watch out for over-priced shipping.

I have a case 446 with a 16 hp onan in it. I just finished rebuilding the deck for it. Replaced the hubs, spindles, bearings, and pulleys. It was completely froze up. I bought the hub/spindles used and in good condition from Joe's on ebay, bought new bearings from IBT online, and new pulleys on ebay. Resharped and balanced the blades that were on it. Now the deck works great!

If ya get a chance, post some pics of your 4018. We like pics!

:welcometogttalk: :wewantpics:

Edited by JBBR, April 17, 2012 - 12:41 AM.

• martyinmi said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 05:03 AM

Welcome Marty, congrats on the tractor and we're glad you found our forum. I'm sure the guys on this forum can give you info. on finding parts at better prices. Most bearings for instance can usually be sourced at any bearing supplier.
  • martyinmi said thank you

#4 martyinmi OFFLINE  

martyinmi
  • 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the speedy replies.
I've ran into my first repair problem. My local dealer told me that my mower deck spindles would pound out once I took the nut off from the top. This worked great for the outer two, but the center spindle is not cooperating at all. I've got it to move about an inch, and in the process broke the V belt pulley.
Is there something else that I need to do to remove it? As badly as the tractor leaked from a hydralic hose, this is the one that I figured would come off the easiest.
As far as pictures go.....I am as computer illiterate as one can possibly be. We have a digital camera, but we seldom use it. We typically just use the throw away ones. Maybe my 10 year old can son figure out how to do it and explain it to his 50 year old dad.
Thanks in advance,
Marty

Brian, how far is Hubley from central Mi (lower penninsula)?

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the speedy replies.
I've ran into my first repair problem. My local dealer told me that my mower deck spindles would pound out once I took the nut off from the top. This worked great for the outer two, but the center spindle is not cooperating at all. I've got it to move about an inch, and in the process broke the V belt pulley.
Is there something else that I need to do to remove it? As badly as the tractor leaked from a hydralic hose, this is the one that I figured would come off the easiest.
As far as pictures go.....I am as computer illiterate as one can possibly be. We have a digital camera, but we seldom use it. We typically just use the throw away ones. Maybe my 10 year old can son figure out how to do it and explain it to his 50 year old dad.
Thanks in advance,
Marty

Brian, how far is Hubley from central Mi (lower penninsula)?

I think it would be somewhere between 1300 and 1400 miles to Detroit. Getting bearings out can be a miserable job sometimes. I'm not familiar with the deck you are working on but in general when they don't want to come out some heat applied to the area will usually help. If it is rust or corrosion that's holding it in it can take a lot of force to move it. A press is always handy for remove bearings.

#6 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 09:04 PM

When I rebuilt the deck on my case 446, it was a pain in the u no what. I had to cut the pulley off the spindle with my 4 1/2 angle grinder and a metal cut-off blade.I cut from the top, splitting the pulley so it would pry off the spindle, taking care not to go so deep that I cut the deck. , I unscrewed the bolts holding the hub on the deck and tapped it out. There are 2 of those half moon shaped keys on the middle spindle, and I guess they were rusted tight to the pulleys. I ruined all 3 of my spindles and a;; 4 pulleys when I took them off the deck. I found and bought used spindles/hub assemblies on ebay at Joe's outdoor power equipment. When I put everything back together, I doped up the spindle and key and pulley with anti-seize compound on the spindle and key.

#7 martyinmi OFFLINE  

martyinmi
  • 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 07:46 PM

Finally got the center spindle out today, although it didn't come apart as my local dealer said it would. The "V" pully, as well as the cogged pullys, all share 1 piece of keystock, and it is not possible to simply drive the shaft down through with the key in place(the keyway is not cut through the threads). All three pullys must come off from the top and and the key removed before the shaft can be tapped down through. I admit responsibility for for the damage, as I should have known better, and after all, it was my repeated blows with a 3 lb. hammer that caused the carnage. I think I can save the shaft, but the pully is now in 7 pieces. TSC has a cast pully that will work with an additional shim and it's less than 20 bucks. Lots of antisieze will be used during re-assembly.
Would it hurt anything to drill a hole in the spindle housings, install grease zerks, and pump them all full of grease? 4 of the 6 bearings were completely shot, and all 3 housings were full of rust.
Thanks in advance, and let me know if my posts get too boring.

#8 martyinmi OFFLINE  

martyinmi
  • 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 06:22 PM

Started with 761.1 hours. Now have 762.7 hours. Once I got the deck re attached and leveled properly it mowed like a charm. I hate to admit it, but this Ingersol does a better job cutting than my New Holland TZ 25 DA. It won't cut as fast, and taller grass gives it fits, but it cuts more evenly without streaks, and I sure enjoy riding the old thing.
Is there anything that can be done to repair the sloppy front ends on these tractors. There is a bit of slop in the pin, as well as where the axle pivots in the frame. Mine is not as bad as a neighbor up the road, but it's bad enough to make it wander where I don't want it to.

Thanks

#9 martyinmi OFFLINE  

martyinmi
  • 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 06:52 PM

100_1105.JPG Here's my 4018 I traded for back in April.

100_1106.JPG This is my year-a-round work horse.

Edited by martyinmi, July 06, 2012 - 06:53 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 07:04 PM

Nice tractors you have there. I can't help with the steering problems, never had one of these. Gotta be some way to tighten it up, though!

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,695 Thanks
  • 8,888 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:03 PM

You can buy a replacement pin if it's worn. The plates it fits through may be bent (spread) and allowing the axle room to flex in there. You can run a bolt through with the pin out, with oversized washers on both ends, and put a nut on it and tighten. It should bring it back. Measure and check it often, easier to bring in than spread back out. (unless you have a porta-power)

my New Holland TZ 25 DA.

100_1106.JPG This is my year-a-round work horse.

More pics, please. I think the TZ series are the best-looking SCUTs ever built. Surprised about the cut quality, though. 914 or a CMS deck?

Edited by Cat385B, July 06, 2012 - 08:45 PM.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 11:09 PM

Posted Image Here's my 4018 I traded for back in April.

That's a sharp looking Ingy! I think you did Very, Very well on that deal.

#13 martyinmi OFFLINE  

martyinmi
  • 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 07:15 AM

MH81
I have all the guards and shields that were on it. There are a few 4018's around here listed for anywhere between $600.00 up to $2800.00. I think I'll just keep this one and use it for my main grass cutter. It frees up my New Holland to ATTEMPT to finish up my wife's honey do list.

Cat,
My MH has the 60" deck that NH puts on them standard. It does a fine job mowing-IF I use my head and slow down. It will go 10mph in high range, and that's where I cut when the terrain is smooth enough. Neither one has had a grass clipping workout in two weeks now because of the heat(103* here yesterday) and lack of moisture.

#14 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 09:54 AM

Wow, good trade! Welcome and howdy neighbor! Hope you find all the answers you need here, I am pretty sure you will.