Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

1/2 Scale Jd 4020 With Five Bottom Plow Project Started Today .

• Please log in to reply
587 replies to this topic

#541 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 03:18 PM

Bill, what a big adjustment for me from using the big jd 5400 and the 84 inch blower for the last 12 years. This is my big tractor now and I got to deal with it, ha,ha.

#542 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 03:24 PM

Hey Don... if the fuel tank on your "new" Bolens is steel, may I suggest buying a gallon of CLR and pouring it into the tank after the diesel fuel and nuts treatment. Works wonders for removing even pitted rust on the inside of steel tanks. Rinse with water and it won't flash rust on you. :smilewink:
  • Don Campbell said thank you

#543 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 11, 2012 - 08:38 AM

Thanks , the sides of the tank look great , just some rust in the bottom .
Todays progress picture shows me removing the hood and sanding it , the side and front shields and sanding any little rust spots. Going to drain the oil and pull the pan today and drain the radiator. Also got all the filter numbers for ordering today. Just in case it takes a while to get the parts I want to see what I need. Another fun little tractor project. :dancingbanana:

Attached Thumbnails

• abolensnohood.jpg

#544 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 11, 2012 - 06:26 PM

My Worst BUY !!! We all make mistakes in our lives and this was one of them. The guy told me the guy he bought the Bolens from said it ran . When I saw the broken rocker arm I was relieved. Today I turned the crank by hand and it would only turn 80% and woulld not completely go around. I decided to pull the head next and saw a good sized chip out ot the side of the first piston wall.
Now were talking big bucks to repair with a sleeve or a different block. Probably end up scraping it out for parts. Oh Well, it was a very fun project for four days, ha,ha. I'm going to check the machine shop for a sleeve price later this week but it doesn't sound good to invest another $1,000.00 or more into it.

Attached Thumbnails

• ablonesblockcrack1.jpg
  • abrokenblock2.jpg
  • abrokenblock3.jpg

#545 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted December 11, 2012 - 06:31 PM

Did you consider a repower? That looks like a neat machine and would be fun to operate.

Geno
  • backwoods said thank you

#546 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 07:15 AM

Don, how about this, http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f1b29c63e
Not sure if its the same engine you have, but don't give up too fast. There were 2 blocks on E-bay last week and I'm sure there will be more, just need a little patience.

#547 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the replys.
Not sure what I will do yet. Going to check the valves, the radiator , etc. next. It is a cute little tractor . I thought of a repower but with the hydro transmission it would be a little more complex.

#548 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 07:56 AM

Don's Iseki has a Mitsubishi KB3 3 cylinder diesel. Don, I have only found one full rebuild kit for that engine, business was based out of Australia. There is one in Michigan that comes up, but I didn't see that particular engine listed. I did see cylinder liners listed on the Aussie site, just not sure if its for the KB3 engine specifically.

#549 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 10:11 AM

I don't know, Don... sometimes these projects land in our laps and our first instinct is to part them out. I think it found you for a reason !

I remember them when new and always thought that they were the best looking scaled down and fully functional small tractor I had seen. Front wheel assist, what more could you want ! :D

Looking back through the pictures, I'll bet that the rocker WAS the reason it quit. The hole in the block looks to be from a cylinder full of water and then frozen. Sleeve it and don't look back...

Edited by dave8338, December 12, 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#550 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 11:21 AM

Thanks again for the help.
I agree it is such a real looking mini tractor with all the levers and being a mini diesel and heavy axles and 4x4 . I'm sure it won't be parted out , I just got to get over the shock of spending over $1,000.00 more maybe on it after paying $1,600.00 for it and the blade to begin with. I put it back together this morning so I don't lose any parts in case it does sit til spring. It really is a awesome little tractor .

#551 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 04:15 PM

Sanding on the rims and some of the little rust spots on the frame this afternoon . It's a solid little frame .

Attached Thumbnails

• abonotires.jpg

#552 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 06:38 PM

The nicest gt sight on the web is GT Talk. This is what you all say and so far you have been very nice to me. But here is the real test , ha,ha. Haters be kind as i prepare to post this picture today after i touched up the rust spots on the rims and around the frame. I tried to match the paint but I failed.
If it is too upsetting to many of you I can delete this post. :shoot2:

Attached Thumbnails

• agreenerview.jpg

#553 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 06:58 PM

Why am I not surprised. I dont think you know about all the colors you can get. :D :D

#554 vbob OFFLINE  

vbob

• Member No: 7162
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 07:23 PM

I think I need to get a new confuser, something is wrong with my screen everything seems to turn green! :D

#555 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 07:36 PM

Sorry guys, but it still a Bolens / iseki through and through. Besides this will help convince me to spend more money to get it running again :wave: