Time to vote for Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

1/2 Scale Jd 4020 With Five Bottom Plow Project Started Today .

• Please log in to reply
587 replies to this topic

#526 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 07:21 PM

Thanks ,
Yes the larger tires would call for some modifications but tomorrow I am going to experiment a little bit to see.

#527 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 07:27 PM

Thanks Bill, We'll just call over there but thanks for the help.
I AM OFFICIALLY DONE BUYING GARDEN TRACTORS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would you believe I bought ANOTHER one today and that makes my ten !!!! It's a 3 cylinder diesel , 4 wheel drive hydrostatic with four brand new tires and a nice hydraulic lift and hydraulic angle front blade. Got it for $1,600.00 I can't believe I bought another TRACTOR , I am really losing it, ha,ha.
I am never, never , ever getting , another, tractor .
I think Taylor Swift sings that in one of her hit songs.
I used my netotiating skills I learned from watching ( Pickers ) on TV :dancingbanana:

#528 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 07:39 PM

If anyone is interested in the Steiner video , Deb just posted it on you-tube.

#529 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,156 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 07:42 AM

Don,
I don't usually make a bet but I'll make an exception here. I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that within 90 days you'll have an addition to your great looking garden tractor fleet. Once the bug bites it is just about impossible to cure it.
  • twostep said thank you

#530 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 12:35 PM

Bill , I hope your wrong , ha,ha. I am getting close to parking tractors in the front yard and that is a no, no in our town. I'm saying today no more tractors until next summer , tee, hee
Went by your house twice today , no sign of any activity either time.

#531 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,929 Thanks
  • 2,513 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 12:44 PM

I AM OFFICIALLY DONE BUYING GARDEN TRACTORS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you believe I bought ANOTHER one today...

It's a 3 cylinder diesel , 4 wheel drive hydrostatic with four brand new tires and a nice hydraulic lift and hydraulic angle front blade. Got it for $1,600.00

answered in order:

No, you're not.

Yes, I would.

:picsoritsnotyours:
  • backwoods said thank you

#532 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Not my best buy but a little tractor I have always wanted. Needs some tlc and it doesn't run. Been sitting for over two years outside . Water in fuel tank and no cover on exhaust stack. Parts are rare for these so if i can't get the engine running I'll repower the tractor with another type of engine I already have and sell a lot of the parts individually. Going to be fun dismantling it and puttering with it .
Paid too much for it at $1,600.00 but I'm 60 and occaisionally I screw up, ha,ha. But that is rare.
The blade can be cleaned up to look pretty good and saw them for sale for $700.00 . Could get $500.00 for individual engine parts and they are in BIG demand. Also radiator . Hopefully I can get the little 3 cylinder diesel running again . It has 875 hours on it. Going to push it in the shop today and one snowy day I will start taking the engine apart to see how it looks inside . It does turn over manually so that is a little bit of a good sign.

Attached Thumbnails

• a4x4bolens.jpg

Edited by Don Campbell, December 08, 2012 - 08:48 AM.

• backwoods said thank you

#533 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 87 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 02:28 PM

Thats a great looking tractor! I can't wait to see how it turns out. :thumbs:

#534 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,351 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 02:42 PM

That's a pretty good looking Iseki Bolens.

#535 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 06:52 PM

Thanks ,
I shifted the jd 110 to the front garage today and pulled the Bolens in the workshop . The Steiner is also in the shop and it looks like 6 inches of snow heading our way . Can't wait to plow snow with the Steiner and try out the jd455 two stage snowblower conversion for the first time. I sprayed all the bolts with pb blaster to soak before I try to remove anything on the Bolens. Tomorrow I'll pull the fuel tank and get it starting to soak with diesel fuel and a dozen or so nuts inside for shaking everyday to clean the inside of the tank.

#536 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 09:49 AM

Here is the first picture of the Bolens H1704 sitting in the shop . I see the fuel filter bulb is cracked so the very first thing to try to find with be that and a new fuel filter. SIX inches of snow heading to Gaylord this afternoon so I'll get to test out the Steiner and the jd 455 2 stage fifty dollar snowblower. I still want to try to put the mf 2 stage blower on the Steiner this winter. And i still plan to build a half scale 5 bottom plow this winter. Life is GOOD :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• abolensproject.jpg

#537 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 11:33 AM

Bolens -Picture number 2 , I removed the exhaust pipe and water ran out , 3 tblsps of grit lay in the elbow and a 1/8th inch layer lay in the three ports going into the block. So that could be a bad sign for the inside of the engine. Then I pulled the valve cover and saw a broken rocker arm. So that is good news and probably the reason it was never driven again. Now we'll see if a rocker arm can be found to replace it or not. So it sounds like the rest of the drive gear could be fine so i am enthused about that.
Does anyone know if these are the parts that are very hard to find or a rocker arm might not be too bad to find? Either way i am having fun already with the Bolens and it doesn't even run, ha,ha. So now i need a rocker arm, a fuel filter and a replacement fuel bowl. I look forward to any feedback on my chances. It's a cute little diesel engine and everything else is completely entact , every wire , every hose has not been touched. There is no rust under the hood so the engine was protected on the outside and looks very clean. You can see the broken rocker arm piece sitting on the alternator.

Attached Thumbnails

• abrokenrockerarm.jpg

#538 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 11:29 AM

about 5 inches of snow today for us so i had to try out the $50.00 snowblower for the first time. The snow was real wet and slushy but I was pleased with how well it did figuring how much I saved spending over $3,000.00 for a new one

Attached Thumbnails

• afirsttimesnowblower.jpg

#539 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,869 Thanks
  • 30,149 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 12:18 PM

• mjodrey and ducky have said thanks

#540 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,156 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 02:00 PM

Don,
Looks like it will do the job. We got about 2" over here. Since the driveway here is gravel we won't blow anything until the ground freezes up.