13 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'm looking for a bigger tractor to maintain my 9 acres. Really wanted a Compact tractor, but in my search I have learned that I can buy a larger row crop tractor for less than the compacts.
The Tractors between 40 & 75 Hp that were ideal tractors in the 60's for 300 acres plus, seem to be to small for todays farmer to consider and are considered too large for most hobby farmers. This makes it an affordable alternatinve to me.
My place is a 9 acre Hill and while there are a lot of IH/Farmall for sale in this area, the Torque Amplifiers can allow them to free wheel on a hill.
The Allis Chalmers I have been around and ran were old enough they did not have the Power Director(simular to Torque Amplifier). Am I correct in understanding the power director was direct and would not free wheel like the Torque amplifier??
I think free wheeling down a hill with a load on behind could be risky?

I'm thinking a D15 or D17 might suit my needs pretty well. Besides the garden cropping and maintenece, A tractor that size would allow me to hay crop part of my place. I have 1/4 mile of gravel lane to maintain and push snow off.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 16, 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 07:24 AM

I wish I could answer the question about the Allis system, but I know the Massey system allowed freewheeling too. Darned exciting time if you forgot.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 07:43 AM

Can't help you out but I know what your talking about . I see 8N & 9Ns on CL with attachments cheaper then most GTs !!! I just did a quick look on CL and I bet for under 2 K you could get a really nice tractor , Al

#4 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 10:59 AM

Allis-Chalmers? Allis used the "torque" or hand clutch as we refered to it as a means to put live power to the PTO. In the center position the main transmission is disengaged and there is no wheel power. You push it forward for HI or pull back for LO. It does not freewheel in either HI or LO as some of the other tractors do. The D17 is a good tractor. It can pull a 3-14 plow or smaller disks and diggers. To use PTO implements you step on the main clutch and engage the PTO by your left leg, leave the torque in nuetral and start the implement (such as a baler), then put the torque in hi or low depending where you have the main transmission in gear. Or you can use the main clutch to engage the pto without the torque being in nuetral such as when using a manure spreader. Allis used this same system in the 170, 190 series also. The 200 had it too. The WD used pretty much the same thing with a hand clutch that had one speed. Oh yes, many hours on the seat of an Allis, CA, WD45, D17, 190XT, 200, 220, 7020, 7045, 7060.

KURTEE

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 12:34 PM

I don't want to sound like I'm bagging on the Massey's, the multi-power is about the only thing about them that I wasn't fond of. If you could find a nice 135-185 without the M. Pwr, It'd make you one heck of a machine.
Heck, even the little TO-35's or MF 50's were work horses.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 01:49 PM

Thanks Alc, MH81 & Kurtee. And That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll be keeping my eye out for a D17 it looks as if a lot more of them were built than the D14-D15 combined.
I'm really color blind when it comes to tractors. I don't care what color paint is on it if it has what I want for features.
Alc my only predjuice on the Ford 8N & 9N are that they don't have live Hydralics, Live PTO and since I'm a weak desk Jockey, Power Steering.. I am finding other machines with those features for comparable money in this area.
MH81, no need to apologize on pushing the Masseys. I grew up on a Case 310 utility(which had the above features + shuttle transmition and if I found one would jump all over it since of all the tractors I have run it was my favorite) and a Massey 44. In fact if I were buying a new CUT a Massey would be first in line.
In this area there are a lot of John Deere, International and Allis Chalmers would come in third The Masseys & Case probably would tie for fourth, with Oliver & Minneapolis Moline following closely. So they are out there, if one looks. One Caveat the guy farming over my north fence has horded up every good Minneapolis Moline in the county.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 17, 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#7 tjrsallis OFFLINE  

tjrsallis

• Member No: 6082
  • 5 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 10:20 AM

If you can find a D14 with a 3 point or you will have to make one for it, that would be my recommendation. It's not real big and its the same power as a wd. D15's use a lot more fuel for some odd reason than a 17 or 170. A D17 series 4 is probably one of the best all around tractors Allis made but its a little bit too big size wise for my taste. If the height and length is not an issue for you than I'd say look for a D17 IV or a 170. Sheet metal is about the only difference between the two.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for all the comments Guys!! I am closer to making a move on this.
As much as I am fond of the Allis Chalmers. I have decided to go with a Ford, the best model I can find in my price range(I'm not picky). My reason for going that route, is the availability of parts at a reasonable price.
And the fact that there are a lot on the market in this area.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 18, 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 01:04 PM

I know multipower can get ya messed up if you forget on a downhill, but one thing's for sure.....if pulling hard on an uphill where clutching & braking to down-shift would be risky, having low multipower can sure save a pair of shorts!
  • MH81 said thank you

#10 tjrsallis OFFLINE  

tjrsallis

• 5 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 07:20 PM

Nothing wrong with a Ford. They're fuel efficient, priced well and if your buying a post 65 1000 series you'll appreciate the scyncronized transmission over the Allis's. Even the 5 speed on the 861/4000 shifts into reverse easy while the PTO is engaged.

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 08:04 AM

I have found a lot of Fords on Des Moines Craiglist. Ranging from an 8N with a Stuck motor for $800, 9N in Newton for $2200 with blade, 48 8N new paint & tires and rebuilt motor & over/under gear box for $2800, 9N with ugly paint but running good for $1500, 8n W Odrive needs rear tires for $1500, 640 new paint and good tires for $3500, 54NAA for $3000, 671 w/loader,blade & 6ft woods finish mower for $4500. All of these are within 50 miles.

Like Al said, many can be bought for lees than the price of a good running GT.
While I'm getting by with the Garden tractors, this grown over cornfield is very rough. And the bigger wheels and a longer wheelbase has to go a long ways towards keeping me in the seat without beating me and the GT to death.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 19, 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 03:43 PM

Just think how much trouble you could get into with this...

http://desmoines.cra...3081561797.html

#13 tjrsallis OFFLINE  

tjrsallis

• 5 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 03:55 PM

671's are a nice tractor. Not a bad price with a loader. A 640 won't have live power which is something you said you were looking for. If I remember correctly its 640/4 speed, 650/5 speed, 660/5 speed live power, 670/selecto speed live power and the 80's had a 1000rpm PTO.

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 08:02 AM

Just think how much trouble you could get into with this...

http://desmoines.cra...3081561797.html

Oh Yeah! That could get me in all kinds of trouble and fun!!
To be honest I am debating the loader thing. Most of what I'm planning to do a loader would be in the way.
Since Mowing(with rear mount so it's easy to mount and unmount) my acreage would be the primary responsibility of the machine, a loader would prevent or make it more dificult to get into the corners and such.. Much of the lifting could be done with a 3 point boom. Second big job would be plowing, Discing and since Garden vegatables are my thing, a Bed Shaper. And maybe a cultivator for Sweetcorn and a Hiller for potatoes. What fence I have is rotted to the point of usless and an Auger would be a useful addition.
I'm getting tired of feeding the Deer, my hard earned Garden Vegatables.
Thirdly would be grading and snow removal on my 1/4 mile lane.
Granted a loader tractor would be great, but I think one really needs two tractors. One for the ground engagement and mowing work and a dedicated loader tractor. My Dad and Brother own a Bobcat in partnership and I've been told it was available any time I needed any serious dirt work done,
That would work better for digging the fruit Cellar and leveling the area for the pole building/Shop, in the planning stages(it has to be cut into the sidehill)..

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 20, 2012 - 08:11 AM.