5 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 09:57 AM

i would like some help first im in Ontario i have the code book but i cant seem to find any thing on this we are retro fitting our kitchen our house was built in the 60 -70s and there is aluminum wire were removing as much to all of it and the kitchen we are going to run 12 2 wire from the panel to a 3 gang box to a 20 A t slot gfci then a standard 20 a t slot to a switch for a (1 ) 35 watt pot light i thought that lights must be on a dedicated lighting circuit now i can make the light on there own circuit but i would need to feed power into the 3 gang box and i also thought that you can not have have more than 1 ONE power source feeding into one box ?
any help would be appreciated
Thanks
8tyman8

Edited by 8tyman8, April 16, 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 08:59 PM

I have no idea if the regs are the same in Canada, but my understanding is that only one circuit per box. Also, regs vary here by boro even about the lights on a separate feed. I started to read the newest mandate from on high (PA Universal Building Code), but got ticked off and confused.

If you have the room in the box to run a dedicated line, it's rarely "wrong" to have a separate circuit.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 08:30 AM

I have no clue Canada regs but I am an Apprentice Electrician and have done commercial work as well as house renovations. As far as circuits in a box, we have had 2 and 3 circuits in a box for houses because the run was on the way of another. Generally you can do it, as long as labeling is good (anal retentive). As far as dedicated light circuit for one light, we rarely to never did it because the amp draw is so small for a light (under 2 amps usually). Now, I do not know Canada regs, so definitely check your code book. If you know any local electricians just give them a call. A lot of electricians want work, but others want the work done correct. Be safe.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, April 17, 2012 - 08:53 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#4 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 08:44 AM

You can have more then one circuit in a box, here in the US for sure.

If your using the 20 amp 12-2 circuit to feed a counter area receptacle circuit, you can't use it for lighting. I'm sure it's the same code for Canada. 2 - 20 amp dedicated counter area circuits are required and they can't be shared with anything else.

I've always ran a separate 15 amp circuit for kitchen lighting, and sometimes two depending on the amount and type of lighting.
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 12:39 PM

See, like I said above, confused.

Thanks you guys for getting him the correct info.

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 01:07 PM

It is good info yes, but whether or not it applies to his town in Canada or not I don't know.