8 replies to this topic

#1 pizzaman OFFLINE  

pizzaman

• Member No: 403
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 05:19 PM

Hi everyone.
Glad to be a member here and hoping to be able to both get and give help.
I bought a Cub Cadet about 1 month ago....a 128 model.
It ran perfectly for that month but about a week ago I accidentally ran over a steel post someone had put in the ground.
Long story short....took off the mower deck and it was nothing more than the housing around one of the blades that was bent inwards.
Straightened it out...re-installed the deck ( lifted it up by the front with my tractor and a chain) and now there is no clutch..or to be more clear....it 'scraunches' when I try to put it in gear when the engine is running.
The onlky way I can mow is to warm it up in neutral, shut it off, put it in gear and start it in gear.
As well, it seems to be running VERY hot so I ran it about 15 minutes and shut her down ujntil I can find the problem.
I am guessing they are related because it seems to be cutting OK but 'labouring' quite a bit doing it.
I'm a complete newbie and I LOVE this little 128 so I don't want to abuse it but I really do need it to be cutting soon.
I live in the country and have nearly an acre to mow and it sure grows quickly when you let it go.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I noticed as well a 'rod' the width of the tractor just below the grill which seems to 'lock' the pully shaft in place...it moc=ves up or down.
What is it for and in what position should it normally be in?
Thanks,
Wayne from Canada North

#2 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,221 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 05:24 PM

welcome....I know little or nothing about Cubs, but when you had the deck off, any chance that you unhooked the clutch rod and didn't hook it back up?

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 05:34 PM

:welcometogttalk:
Wayne,glad to have you here.

#4 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 06:09 PM

Welcome Wayne I have some cubs, but I can't think of anything I could be with out looking at it. Try looking her IHRegistry Home Maybe you can find something that will help.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 06:17 PM

The rod that you describe should be the mule drive release lever. Once the mower deck is off you can push that lever down and slide the whole mule drive forward and drop it off the frame. The clutches on the cubs are adjustable. If you hit the post with the deck I would think the deck drive belt would have slipped and probably stalled the motor. It shouldn't have had any ill affects with the driveline. Does your pto clutch still work alright?

#6 pizzaman OFFLINE  

pizzaman

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the information. What exactly is the mule drive and what is it for?
Also I don't think I have a PTO...on not one I can see out the front where I think it would be.
I'm just wondering what i could have 'moved' when I took the deck off...up to that point....even with the blade shroud bent everything re: drive train and clutch were working perfectly. It's only after i removed and reinstalled the deck that things don's disengage....so it must be something i moved since the deck repair.
Any further ideas?

#7 pizzaman OFFLINE  

pizzaman

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 07:51 PM

Poncho62
Thanks for the reply. Well there seems to be 'resistance' when I push down the clutch so I suspect it is not disconnected...and in any case I didn't remove or unthread anything so I would have thought it would be near impossible to unhook it without undoing something....or am I incorrect?

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 08:05 PM

The mule drive is the frame that actually lifts the mower deck and also has two pulleys to turn the belt 90 degrees to be run to the mower deck. You can see the mule drive on my 147 which should be the same as yours. It is the cream colored frame under the tractor above the mower deck.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1316..jpg
  • DSC_1314..jpg

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 08:21 PM

Had a problem editing my reply, so deleted & started over. This is your transmission drive clutch that is not working, so below is an exploded view of parts, and link to Brian Miller's site with lots of info.
clutch3..jpg

Google Image Result for http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/images/clutch.jpg