sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Well my t63 was running when I picked it up....since bringing it home and washing it no spark.....I have cleaned out the points area and the voltage regulator.......did have some water in both......

I found this green wire unattached but looks like it has been attached at somepoint......is this a ground??

I looked at the d4-7 motor and it has a ground wire and I don't see one on this one.....

I have got to find some one local that can show me out to touble shoot electronics......I have the meter....and have tried to read the directions.....but I am a much better show and tell guy......let me see it one time and I will pretty much remember it.....

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

Edited by sacsr, April 16, 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 07:50 PM

That looks like a ground, but should only effect it if it was not charging. Does this have an external (round) coil? If you have a meter, turn it to read DC Volts,Hold black lead to any good ground (metal) turn ignition key on and put red lead from meter on the + terminal of the coil, you should have around 12 volts there (with key on) If no voltage there then it could be a wet or bad ignition switch or bad connection. I am taking it that the motor does crank over?
  • sacsr said thank you

#3 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 08:49 PM

It's on a wisconsin 7hp.....no round coil....I have seen spark on the plug and got a pretty good jolt when I was holding the spark plug wire with the plug attached ....was grounding it on the head and looking for spark.....it cranked up and ran a few seconds and then nothing again....

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 10:37 PM

It's no big secret that I don't trust a Champion plug further than I can throw it, so I gotta ask... What plug is in it and have you changed it? Also, do you have a spare condenser around? If you think you've eliminated the big stuff ( mystery wire etc.) and the points are right, a failing condenser can cause a lot of headaches.
  • sacsr said thank you

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 07:22 AM

You may want to pick up an inline ignition tester, HF has them for about $10. Just install it between your ignition lead and plug if it lights up you are getting power and the suspect would be the plug. If you get it intermittently then you know you have a problem up stream, probably as mentioned a condenser. At least you won't get zapped to see if it works. :)
  • MH81, sacsr and Delmar have said thanks

#6 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 08:45 AM

You may want to pick up an inline ignition tester, HF has them for about $10. Just install it between your ignition lead and plug if it lights up you are getting power and the suspect would be the plug. If you get it intermittently then you know you have a problem up stream, probably as mentioned a condenser. At least you won't get zapped to see if it works. :)

This is a good tip. thanks!

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 09:14 AM

Is this what you are using? http://www.harborfre...cker-69014.html

thanks

Edited by sacsr, April 16, 2012 - 09:35 AM.

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 03:27 PM

Is this what you are using? http://www.harborfre...cker-69014.html

thanks

That's it and it has saved me a lot of trouble and time.
  • sacsr said thank you

#9 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 04:28 PM

"It's no big secret tht I don't trust a Champion plug further than I can throw it, so I gotta ask... What plug is in it and have you changed it? Also, do you have a spare condenser around? If you think you've"

Champion plug in it.......I will be needing to put new plug, points, condenser, rebuild the carburetor, etc before I am done.....right now just trying to get some part of it working.......

Heading out the door to see if "drying out" today helped it any.....

#10 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 04:36 PM

I pressure washed my wheel horse last year to clean it up for my grandfathers tractor show,and it wouldn't start afterwards,no spark.When i finally got a chance to work on it 2 weeks ago i figured i would change points and condenser.It fired right up afterwards.Not sure which was the culprit though.
  • sacsr said thank you

#11 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 09:39 PM

Well....swapped the condenser with another one I had......plugged up the ignition tester.....and got lights and action......ran like a charm....now with Bob's help will have a carburetor rebuild kit and new points and condenser and she will be ready to go....now to fix the rear end.....thanks guys for all the suggestions..

Used the ignition tester on an old DB 725 briggs I had.....well we are getting spark....just will not run.....another day another project to do...
  • MH81 said thank you

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 10:07 PM

Glad you are making progress and have resolved one issue. Thanks for the update