#1 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 05:15 PM

I have a fuel tank from a Quiet Line Cub Cadet,it is plastic and it is cracked.My question is,what can I use that will stick to the tank?I have tried different epoxy's,JB Weld,I even tried plastic welding it first,and nothing so far has sealed it.I did make sure it was clean,dry,and oil free,plus I also sanded it to roughen it up.Anybody have any ideas?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 08:32 PM

I've never had success trying to mend a plastic tank Maynard. Hate to say, but next to impossible to get to hold.

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 09:29 PM

I've had luck with 2 part epoxy where somebody had drilled the hole to large in the bottom of the tank on my Snapper. Had to glue a brass fitting into it to make it serviceable.
Just walk out to the shop and checked it was JB Weld. My be the type of plastic but I haven't saw anything that stuff would not stick to.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 21, 2010 - 04:34 AM

I've never had success trying to mend a plastic tank Maynard. Hate to say, but next to impossible to get to hold.

I kinda figured that might be the answer,I guess I'll have to try to find a tank.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,679 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted June 21, 2010 - 05:37 AM

:ditto:

I never had much luck with mending a plastic tank either :(

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 21, 2010 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 21, 2010 - 10:49 AM

The only epoxy that may work would be the fuel proof modeling epoxy but I don't know how long it would hold for. If you were to go that route you would want to use some fiberglass cloth and drill a few tiny holes on either side of the crack for the epoxy to get into to help hold then lay the cloth over it and spread a little more epoxy over the cloth.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 21, 2010 - 11:16 AM

The only epoxy that may work would be the fuel proof modeling epoxy but I don't know how long it would hold for. If you were to go that route you would want to use some fiberglass cloth and drill a few tiny holes on either side of the crack for the epoxy to get into to help hold then lay the cloth over it and spread a little more epoxy over the cloth.

See ,the biggest problem is getting it to stick to that plastic that the tank is made of.Do you have the name of that modeling epoxy ?

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 21, 2010 - 11:24 AM

You would have to get the epoxy at a hobby shop or online. I don't remember the names of them as it has been a while since I had the r/c planes. The biggest thing would be to use rough grit sandpaper or something to score the plastic tank with to give the epoxy something to grab. Which is also why I said about drilling small holes on either side of the crack. The modeling epoxy stays a little flexible to which would help with not cracking. It is worth a try if you want to give it a go. Worse case scenario is you will still have to throw the tank away and you will have modeling epoxy if you ever decide to get in to flying the r/c planes LOL

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 21, 2010 - 11:43 AM

You would have to get the epoxy at a hobby shop or online. I don't remember the names of them as it has been a while since I had the r/c planes. The biggest thing would be to use rough grit sandpaper or something to score the plastic tank with to give the epoxy something to grab. Which is also why I said about drilling small holes on either side of the crack. The modeling epoxy stays a little flexible to which would help with not cracking. It is worth a try if you want to give it a go. Worse case scenario is you will still have to throw the tank away and you will have modeling epoxy if you ever decide to get in to flying the r/c planes LOL

I guess it is worth a try,I'll see what happens,thanks.

#11 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted June 21, 2010 - 11:50 AM

Well-this may or may not help, but there are as many types of plastic welding rod as there are plastics. It is important that you know what type of material you are welding, and that the rod is compatible. I purchased a kit on ebay some time ago, and have welded a bunch of different projects. I have yet to find a plastic I could not repair. I have had to try different methods but always found a solution.
The suggestion about using a patch is a good one as well.

The kit came with a detailed instruction booklet and a DVD. If you want, I can pull out the booklet and we could see what might work. I am not familar with a Cub tank so I need more information.

Never give up-:smile1: Jack

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 21, 2010 - 11:58 AM

I agree you need the same kind of plastic as the tank,I wasn't sure what it was so I just tried what I had.