caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 12:30 PM

Well, another one followed me home! I picked this up at PA Plow Day this weekend and finally got some pictures to upload.

IMAG0253.jpg IMAG0254.jpg IMAG0255.jpg IMAG0256.jpg IMAG0257.jpg IMAG0258.jpg IMAG0259.jpg

There's a lot wrong with it and I'm not sure what it's finalk disposition will be, but I wanted to run it past the gurus and see if anyone can tell me about it. It has a Kohler engine on it, but I don't know if it's the right one. The PO told me that the blower housing was replaced. I do not know whether or not that's true, but there's no tag on the engine to tell me what model it is.

I did find the serial number tag.

IMAG0264.jpg

Can anyone tell if the model is right based on that serial number?

I also managed to pick up a couple sets of wheel weights while I was there.

This set I know are Wheel Horse. I've been looking for a set like this for a while.

IMAG0260.jpg

This set is a bit of a mystery. The guy I bought them from said that they'd come off of a Wheel Horse that he had, but I don't think they're Wheel Horse weights though.

IMAG0261.jpg IMAG0263.jpg IMAG0262.jpg

You can see a part number in the last picture as well a "B" in a circle. I don't know if that's a clue as to the brand or not. I hope that someone can tell me what I've landed here!

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 01:03 PM

I can't help with your questions, but looks like a good bunch of stuff to me Steve!
  • caseguy said thank you

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 03:23 PM

I cant help much either, looking forward to seeing your progress with it!
  • caseguy said thank you

#4 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 06:07 PM

Looks like it was a good weekend to buy tractors, I contacted George about a bush hog we saw coming home from a sale saturday, turns out it was sitting out for him to pick up for another gttalk member
Congrats on the new toy.
  • caseguy said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 06:27 PM

I'm no guru here, but I like what I see. Congrats on the new additions, Steve!
  • caseguy said thank you

#6 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Looks like it was a good weekend to buy tractors, I contacted George about a bush hog we saw coming home from a sale saturday, turns out it was sitting out for him to pick up for another gttalk member
Congrats on the new toy.

It sure was the Bush Hog that you saw Dan we loaded on the trailer coming home. We undid all of the straps on our two tractors and headed towards the guys driveway to tow the Bush Hog. That is when we saw that it was chained to the guy's pickup. He knew we were coming but nobody answered the door when I rang the bell. Fortunately George had his number and the one lock on the chain was a combination lock that the fellow gave George the combination to when he called. Once unlocked we got it loaded on the trailer and it is now safely at our place.

Edited by grand, April 15, 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#7 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 08:55 PM

I'm glad to see the Wheel Horse made it safely to its new home. Apparently all of the chains held the tractors in place. It sure was nice to see you folks this weekend.
  • caseguy said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 09:07 PM

I'm glad to see the Wheel Horse made it safely to its new home. Apparently all of the chains held the tractors in place. It sure was nice to see you folks this weekend.

Great to see you too George, and thanks so very much for the help loading. I know it looked like Jacob Marley did the loading, but those chains held fast and nothing moved for the 5 hr trip home. How long did you guys giggle over the novice loading process?

#9 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 09:20 PM

I thought that you and Steve were doing a good job on the loading and chaining. I'm just used to helping George using straps instead of chain. I told you that I have seen George do those straps over a hundred times and I still can't do a strap and finish the unused strap into the ratchet without making a very ugly looking mess. My biggest help is when we arrive at our destination and just have to undo the straps.

#10 JakeKuhn ONLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 06:05 AM

Nice haul steve! Jake
  • caseguy said thank you

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 16, 2012 - 08:19 PM

I did find the serial number tag. Can anyone tell if the model is right based on that serial number?

As it turns out, Wheel Horse kept NO RECORD of their serial numbers! (Sounds like a colossal blunder to me!)

This set is a bit of a mystery. The guy I bought them from said that they'd come off of a Wheel Horse that he had, but I don't think they're Wheel Horse weights though...

I started another thread to try and answer this question, but as it turns out, I did some digging on my own and found out that they are Gravely weights and weigh in at 35 Lbs. apiece.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 09:41 PM

It's Alive!!!
Did a little piddling around with the old girl today, and what do you know...she's a runner! If my garage wasn't so chock full of stuff (oh yeah and I haven't replaced the flat tire yet either), I could,ve taker her out for a drive! The clutch return spring was broken, so I replaced that with a miscellaneous spring that just happened to be the right length (ish LOL). I also removed the fuel tank and cleaned out some NASTY old gas. I pulled the float bowl and cleaned that (and now the bowl gasket wont seal back up LOL). I also removed a sizable mouse nest from under the blower housing and cleaned the big chunks of debris from between the cooling fins. Poured some gas in the tank and she fired up after a few prime shots! I believe that it may need a new head gasket because the cooling fins around the rear of the engine are caked with oil and grime, but that shouldn't be too bad. I also think I'll throw a carb kit at it just for good measure. It has really good compression, but seems to be burning just a hint of oil.
I haven't gotten to a lot of things like the crankcase breather yet, but I should be doing that soon.
IT DESPERATELY NEEDS A MUFFLER ON IT!!
The drive belt is in pretty sad shape, but will likely work for now.
It's a pint low on really dirty oil, but I think I'll put in some fresh oil instead.
The hood is really rough and someone tried to "repair" it at some point where the front mounts to the frame. That will be OK for now too, but I'd like to see what else I can do with it.
There's also a bit of slop in the steering, but I'm not sure if it's the shaft or the pin that's worn (I fear it's the shaft...but haven't dug into it yet)
The Fancy recoil starter doesn't work as well as I'd like, but it does work. The teeth in the cup seem a little worn and the ratchet dogs skip at times. Can anyone tell me if the internal parts of this should be lightly greasy? Because they are. I know that the Briggs starters will not work properly if they're oily or greasy, but this is a totally different set-up than what I'm used to.
OK, that's enough rambling for now. Sorry no pics yet...I never remember to take them...

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 10:07 PM

Good to hear it's running, can't wait wait to see it in action.
  • caseguy said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 05:21 AM

Glad you got it running. Sounds like a little TLC is in order,Steve. Hope you get to go for a ride soon!
  • caseguy said thank you

#15 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 10:13 PM

Good looking machine! One of my favorites! Only 3 models used that style hood and dash tower, 604,654 & 704. Since yours does not have a battery tray, we can eliminate the 654. The 604 was a Techy powered machine (6hp) while the 704 was a Kohler powered machine (7hp). I did notice the hood has been butchered in the same fashion as the 654 I used to own so I'm gonna assume at one time it had a 6-8hpTechy transplanted on it probably from a tiller. Since the Techy would have been a transplant requiring modification, I'm going with 704. I use white lithium on the dogs.