DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 03:17 PM

I'm ready to buy my next tool a blasting cabinet, looking for info and advice on what to get and what to stay away from.
My compressor is 5hp 60gal. unit.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 03:32 PM

This si my blast cabinet from Harbor Freight. I've had it several years & no major issues. I did replace the gun with a Clarke as TSC carries the tips & is much closer than the HF store. The HF gun did fine though. I'm running the same, a 5hp 60gl compressor, but have to let it catch up, but I need the break in hot weather anyway. If your compressor is an oil-less, then you have to be really careful to let the compressor rest at least 20% of the time or you will burn it out. Ask me how I know! I now have an oil type compressor. Right now the HF blast cabinet is on sale for just $219. Go to link below & print out before going to a HF store, then they'll price match the online sale price.

40 Lb. Capacity Floor Blast Cabinet

image_2728..jpg

You'll not find a better price for a cabinet this size. I get my aluminum oxide at HF or TSC as both carry it.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 03:38 PM

If you get a cabinet, you'll need to build a dust filter system. Bought ones are pricey, but I built mine on the cheap. Here's link to that thread:
http://www.gttalk.co...-dust-trap-301/

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 03:41 PM

That's kinda what I had in mind, Princes Auto has them have to go check them out try to get one on sale.
My compressor is an old Inger sol Rand 2cyl. oil type and is a quiet one compared to others of that size I've seen.

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 03:44 PM

If you get a cabinet, you'll need to build a dust filter system. Bought ones are pricey, but I built mine on the cheap. Here's link to that thread:
http://www.gttalk.co...-dust-trap-301/

I saw that thread a while back, thought it was a good idea.

What would you recommend for blasting material?

#6 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 04:11 PM

Princes Auto has them on sale similar to HF, blue in color, but no light reg. $349. on sale for $174.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 04:30 PM

Princes Auto has them on sale similar to HF, blue in color, but no light reg. $349. on sale for $174.

The light is no issue. My cabinet is an older style & didn't have the light box on top, the light was just inside. Mine burned out, so I just got a light stick & mounted it inside. Been working like 5 yrs on that flourescent light stick.
In winter, I just add antifreeze to the water in the dust filter.
I use only aluminum oxide, 70 or 80 grit. I've used plain sand, and glass beads, but the aluminum oxide is better by far. I've used what is in the cabinet for probably over 40 hours of blasting & still cuts good.
  • DH1 and Larry Turner have said thanks

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 21, 2010 - 06:38 AM

A blasting cabinet is on my short list. After I get a bigger compressor LOL. I was checking the ones out on hf a while ago and seems hard to beat the prices for them.

#9 swiftwind2004 OFFLINE  

swiftwind2004

• Member No: 1421
  • 5 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 01:58 PM

I have a porter cable 150 psi 25 gal (maybe 27gal) compresser and i used plastic drop cloth and make a booth from ceiling to floor in my garage. that way i can take it down when im done and i dont lose valuable space in my garage

#10 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 07:48 PM

A blasting cabinet is on my short list. After I get a bigger compressor LOL. I was checking the ones out on hf a while ago and seems hard to beat the prices for them.

Take a look at northern tool, especially the ingersoll's. With the free shipping we couldn't find anything close to the price for the value. the one I got was 310 lbs dry, frieght ain't cheap on that! get the startup kit that extends the warrenty and has the synthetic oil and filters your gonna want anyhow and you'll be set for a looooooong time, they are built like tanks. I also got one of the Kat's pad heater 150 watt and put it under the pump get the oil warmed up in cold weather, my barn/shop ain't heated, and it works great. Also, for those that have an oil-less and use it for more than an impact, pencil grinder, or meby an airbrush, start saving up to buy another! If you don't believe me just ask :)