• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 08:49 PM

You will have to tell wifey she gets an atta girl from us. She did a great job and she didn't get rammy when getting stuck and also did good on the exit and entry points. Tractor sounds great. The hydros do a great job and I think some of them put down as much torque as the gear drive tractors. I had fun plowing with my 1655 at about 1/4 throttle and listening to the hydro whine.

Yes, she does deserve lots of credit....she does super! Hard to beat hydro in my book too. But George, that wasn't your hydro whining....it was some of the other envious tractor drivers doing the whining while watching the Massey haul the load!

#17 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 08:56 PM

I don't understand why a depth wheel won't work on any soil. I've went back over already plowed furrows & my depth wheel still works just fine. I tried my 1st plow without a depth wheel & it made things hard to deal with. Put a depth wheel on there & you'd never regret it.

Daniel.
Do you have a photo of your depth wheel? Does yours mount so it is on the left side of the plow or in the furrow? I can definitely see where it would make a huge difference in maintaining a consistent depth and keep from bogging down the tractor or loosing traction.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by GTTinkerer, April 15, 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 08:59 PM

Daniel.
Do you have a photo of your depth wheel? Does yours mount so it is on the left side of the plow or in the furrow? I can definitely see where it would make a huge difference in maintaining a consistent depth.

Thanks,
Bill

On the left, to ride on un-plowed ground. Here's a pic during build stage. I made it "quick adjust".plow2.jpg

#19 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Here is a pic of the Brinly 3pt on my 1655 while plowing for reference if you need.

DSC_0126.JPG

I think as long as you keep the wheel wider in whatever material you use it would work great. When I first set the plow up I was able to really lift it up off the ground but after plowing and finally getting it adjusted just right I was only able to lift the plow about 8" off the ground instead of about 14"

#20 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 09:33 PM

After talking to some folks at Plow Day it does seem like a depth wheel would be a good addition to my plow. I also was able to see how some of the plowers were able to add a depth wheel to their plow. Sure seems like something I need to check out.