DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 02:59 PM

Had a power failure last night when I was on the computer, so I decided today I hook my computer up to a separate power source.
Basically a 12volt deep cycle battery, 1000watt power inverter and a small battery charger. 1st pic. (will see how this works out)

Also have another setup in the laundry room
4- 6volt golf cart battery's, 1750 watt power inverter, and a charger. 2nd pic.
I use this to run the washing machine just to keep the battery's in use, can run 5 loads of laundry and the battery's still have more than 50% power left in them.
Cycling the battery's keeps them stronger than having them sit charged up not used.

Longest power failure I seen was 18hrs 2 summers ago, ran the generator non stop to keep the fridges going and everybody in the house happy.

Attached Thumbnails

• backup power 001..jpg
  • backup power 002..jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 03:23 PM

Been milling the thought of making my own backup for the computer too. It could also run the TV and keep the TV cable box going. I would do it the same way you did. Maybe I'll get to it. January of 09 our dairy was out of power for over 15 days! Cost us bank keeping the farm going on generators. We have a 45KW pto generator for the farm, and have to run our homes off small gensets. Lost 2 older gensets due to old age, so had to buy 2 new ones. Wasn't easy to find any either, as thousands here were without power. For the short power outages, a home brew standby would be nice, especially if in the middle of a lot of computer work. Man does it suck when you've done an hour of work, only to have the power blip for just one second....and dump all your work.

#3 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 03:26 PM

15days without hydro I couldn't even imagine that, but you never know whats going to happen.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 03:35 PM

15days without hydro I couldn't even imagine that, but you never know whats going to happen.

We were out for 14 days several years earlier due to a severe summer storm that took miles of poles & line down all over my part of Ky. We've been through many rodeo's! lol

#5 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 05:22 PM

You fellers should try 21 days a few years back ice storm. No one should think the power is just there.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 07:48 PM

You fellers should try 21 days a few years back ice storm. No one should think the power is just there.

But did you have 100 cows to milk? If ya didn't, then I just trumped ya! LOL 21 days just running a house would be a cakewalk to me. And you're right...take NOTHING for granted!

#7 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 09:17 PM

I feel your pain with 100 long faces wanting feed and to be milked. Did that awhile my self. I had a 60 KW unit and we could only milk or feed at one time. Made chores last for ever.
I see people throwing out B/U power supplies were the batteries have failed due to hi cost of replacement batteries. I managed to pick up several from work. They will change periodically just for safety. As long as the converter still works it could be supplied by a battery pack of the same voltage and a separate charger.
Four or six 6 volt deep cycles would keep you an line all night. One could run the fridge as well just check the out put a surge capabilities.

#8 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted June 20, 2010 - 09:45 PM

You right dan we didn't have the milk cows. We did have a lot of folks we tried to keep freezer cold with 4 gens. several chicken houses fell in and the feed mills were down so long grows run out of feed and birds died. Lucky me all my cows (117 mature some with calves all made. Had 9 show head in barn that went down all came out good the steel panels kept the roof up about 5 feet i was in house when crash happen and everything covered with ice power lines down. Can't even think large enough to to feed an milk. Sure proud they dairymen cause i love my MILK

#9 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 26, 2010 - 10:27 PM

When I first started using the battery power setup for the computer after 2 to 3hrs of use the battery would be drained down to 50 % or less, now after having cycled them about 10 or 15 times I can run the computer 4 to 5 hrs and still have more than 60% charge left in the battery. I bought this battery probably 2 years ago and really haven't used it much at all. I heard that battery's are best used and not left sitting, even if there charged. I'd have to say it's true.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 27, 2010 - 09:07 AM

When I first started using the battery power setup for the computer after 2 to 3hrs of use the battery would be drained down to 50 % or less, now after having cycled them about 10 or 15 times I can run the computer 4 to 5 hrs and still have more than 60% charge left in the battery. I bought this battery probably 2 years ago and really haven't used it much at all. I heard that battery's are best used and not left sitting, even if there charged. I'd have to say it's true.

Very true about batteries lasting longer being cycled. When they sit, they will build sulfides in the battery & finally just die. Jump start boxes tend to fail quick because they sit 99.9% of the time. But I use mine for many things...running a pump sprayer to spray cows as they exit the milk parlor, jump starting of course, and testing circuits & bench testing starters & such.