• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rupe OFFLINE  

Rupe
  • Member No: 9486
  • 2 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 01:38 PM

I have heard that the Hydo. in my Craftsman 89 24hp V twin mod# 917273220 is sort of the weak link in an otber wise good GT. If this is true has anyone done a tranny and rear axle swap to say a 5 or 6 speed manual tranny? I so could you fill me in on what I would be looking at or tell me where I.could find such a swap. My Hydro. seems to be in great shape now but I plan on keeping the GT for.many years. Thank you in advance. Rupe

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 01:54 PM

I recommend to NOT swap the transaxle unless if breaks under YOUR defined NORMAL use. Any transmission can be a great transmission dependent on what the owner/user considers normal use. If this is mowing the grass than any transaxle will work. However, as the definition of normal use grows then you start eliminating transaxles. I know people with Murrays using plows, and those are not even a bolt on wheel, or a heavy transaxle considered for ground engaging usage, but it still works for them. Just because you hear a transaxle to be weak, don't think it can't hold up. My Craftsman (the Caterpillar) has the aluminum High/Low transaxle that everyone loves that ever owned one. However, I think the whole thing could fail under my normal usage... but... so far it hasn't, and I have abused the crap out of it (in my eyes). Now, I have always heard, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and I intend to hold true to that. I mentioned it in a post that I planned to finally break it this year. Everyone's first response was "You better upgrade it before you do" and I told them all the same thing.... "It still works, and until it doesn't no reason to make more work for myself. Besides, half the fun of fixing it... will be breaking it LOL". So don't count the chunks before they hurl out of that transaxle, and have fun with it while it lasts. Let us know if and when it breaks, and how you did it, we all like a good story of destruction.
I already know what I am replacing mine with... Peerless 2300, but your's may not be set up like my 1988, being mine is already a gear drive.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, April 14, 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#3 Rupe OFFLINE  

Rupe
  • 2 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 10:52 PM

Nope I was going.to wait.tell it broke before I.did.anything just planning to keep my.eyes open for parts tractors with the right type of.parts to use. Be Prepard! Or maybe I'll find something that nust needs a little TLC. :-)

#4 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted April 20, 2012 - 10:40 PM

Rupe, There are pros and cons with both hdro and gear trannys. If you mow alot, plow snow or work a loader the hydro gives you more controle and makes the tractor more efficient. If you are plowing,tilling or pulling stumps the gears are nice to set the pace of work and gives you solid pulling power. I have both and I like both.

#5 Rupe OFFLINE  

Rupe
  • 2 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for the info. I do alot of blade work. Using front.dozer and back blade/box scraper. I live in the middle of no where and I am the only one that maintains the dirt and sand roads. ( about 6 miles of them)
So it sounds like what I have is just right? thanks again, Rupe

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 08:35 AM

With that much (6 miles) work, I would be watching fluid level and changing fairly often. That can add up to a lot of hours quickly!

#7 Rupe OFFLINE  

Rupe
  • 2 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:01 AM

Thank you I will keep an eye on them.

CORRECTION- mine is a 1998 not a 89 :-)

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 07:01 AM

Yours is probably a lot like the one in my GT6000. I did a search for issues on mine, and the biggest hinge seems to be that Sears includes no fluid change info in their manual. This unit should be flushed and changed annually with heavy use (according to hydrogear), now, I'm not thinking anyone actually changes annually, but it would be a good idea to do more often, especially with the use youre giving it.

Another thing to keep an eye on is the input pulley to the tranny. Inspect it periodically and watch for wear or slop. Many were fine splinned and would fail quite quickly once wear began. A few properly placed set screws would've done that design a great service.