Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,613 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:29 AM

Here is the rearend - rebuilt, repainted and ready to install. I have to get the control arms to the sandblaster IF the weather ever cooperates. 

002.JPG

My control arms [called radius rods on a Model T] had been setting in the ground after the wood wheel spokes rotted off the truck.  They were rusted thin and cracked so I went looking for replacements.

I found some very nice control arms through a Model T forum from a guy right here in Missouri and he actually works part time at one of my customers I deliver to!!  :smilewink:  I got to meet a great guy and we talked T's for a couple of hours one afternoon.  He sold me a couple of VERY nice control arms and at a very reasonable price.   He showed me his collection and were it not for his carb. being on the fritz he would have taken me for a ride in his T car. 

Model T's are like garden tractors - they collect the nicest people!

I called the bosshole and told him what I was doing and that I'd make it right on my timecard. Since I was "playing" exactly two hours I wrote 2 hour lunch on my timecard when I got back that day.  All is good!

When the aux. tranny was installed that makes the driveshaft and radius rods shorter to still fit in the stock length frame.  The radius rods/control arms I bought had already been shortened for an auxiliary tranny but were still too long so I had to cut them and shorten them 6 inches.  Waiting on getting those arms blasted and painted is the only reason the rear axle is not mounted.   The springs and shackles have already been blasted and painted.  The front axle is waiting on the same treatment - sandblast and paint.  New kingpin bushings are on the workbench and will be installed.  Don't want them in until after the sandblasting!  

I am very close to a rolling chassis. 

Edited by Gtractor, January 24, 2014 - 11:33 AM.

• olcowhand, MFDAC, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#62 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 02:17 PM

Very nice project!

#63 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the update, Kris! Bosshole---I'm gonna remember that one!-LOL! Looking foreward to more progress.

Later---DAC

• Gtractor said thank you

#64 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,613 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 07:29 PM

update:

Hasn't been any noteworthy progress on the truck in a couple of years but today just about 2-3 miles down the road there was an estate auction with lots of Model T and Model A parts.  I let brother know and he came, in a PT Cruiser, of all things.  :(   Not really a problem as its over 2 hours drive for him and literally 5 minutes for me. He knows I have 3 pickups and a trailer on-the-ready so there was no need of him feeding his pickup unless he knows he has something to haul.... 

And haul we did!

Only made two purchases myself, which I'm sort of proud of.  LOTS of neat items from a guys collection that started back in the 1950s. This guys shop was amazing with an overhead working line shaft setup powered by a Model A Ford engine.  There were 4 shafts to run tools and all the tools to go with it. 

Thought we were gonna need the third pickup but with careful stacking two did the trick.  The F-250 has a bunch of T, A, and B Ford wheels, many of which are restored and painted up nice.  I'm sure the paint suffered by the stacking but it was hotter than blazes and we just wanted to load and leave.   I'll include a link to the auctioneers site/w sale bill and then the evidence.

http://www.nixonauct...m/Van_Dusen.php

Ram auction load.jpg ,ram auction load 1.jpg

zee auctionload 1.jpg ,Zee auction load 2.jpg

And my big purchase of the day, a Cushman 4 horse.  Other purchase was a base mount single cylinder magneto that I'm hoping will work on my Vaughn Flex Tread.

Cushman.jpg

• olcowhand, grnspot110, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#65 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 07:38 PM

Looks like a great stash of parts, and that Cushman is in superb shape looks wise!  If it runs as good as it looks, she's a great engine!

#66 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,613 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted June 25, 2016 - 10:04 PM

Just before dark I had cooled off enough so went out and put a lil carb cleaner in the primer cup and rolled the Cushman over.  Got one good pop out of it.  That was enough for tonight - I haven't even checked the oil. 

• grnspot110 said thank you

#67 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,435 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 07:02 AM

Wow! Quite the score there!

#68 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 08:54 AM

My wife told me I'm not allowed to go to another auction...

Last one I went to was an estate auction at a house near us. Like 20 people showed up. I bought so much stuff. They started doing lots of house hold items. Plates pans ect. No one as bidding. I was getting boxes of stuff for a buck or two a box. Tools for 5 to 10 a box. Boxes of outlets covers, switches wire ect for 2 to 3 bucks a box.

I filled my truck bed up with stuff for around 50 bucks. Wife said just because it's a good deal doesn't mean you have to buy it...

But it worked out good. My cousin and his new bride needed household stuff. I gave them 90% of the stuff for starter stuff(we all need that when buying your first home) and I love tools! And you never know when you need home repair stuff.

Edited by toomanytoys84, June 26, 2016 - 09:02 AM.