Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 03:12 AM

I like some of those cars in the background.

#47 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 04:38 AM

I noticed them too. Looks like many 'projects in waiting'.

#48 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,605 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 07:41 AM

The cab and bed are at my brothers place. Brother plays with tiny cars, scooters, and airplanes.

#49 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 07:57 AM

We all have our 'toys'. Ever thought about marrying one of those small cars and a GT? Might be a nifty off spring!

#50 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,605 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 08:02 AM

Well, that yellow three wheeled car in the background has a 14 horse OHV Tecumseh. :laughingteeth:
A lot of his cars have engines smaller than that!

#51 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,605 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 09:49 AM

The cab and bed were delivered Saturday morning. I used the Fergie to drag the stuff off the trailer. The truck frame was cut just behind the cab and it still has engine and tranny. Almost more than the Fergie wanted hanging on such a long boom pole. :smilewink: Lots of steering with brakes as the front tires were off the ground with any forward movement. Lots of good useable parts here. The bed is awesome good and the cab is fixable. Unfortunately the Kubota diesel wasn't for me. Dad found it on Craigslist very close to brother so brother picked it up for dad. I did get to try the Kubota on for size. It has a super compact 3 cylinder and got my mind wondering about custom projects. :orangecool:

Attached Thumbnails

• P1000947.JPG
  • P1000948.JPG

#52 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 11:35 AM

You're gonna' have to work fast! Chillicothe show starts Friday! :laughingteeth: :laughingteeth: :laughingteeth:

#53 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,605 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 05:07 PM

Lowell - I'm already committed elsewhere. :thumbs:

#54 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 05:30 PM

Interesting project there Kris, get you a nice doodlebug out of it for sure.

#55 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,605 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 05:21 PM

OK, no progress for a while on the truck. Been very busy this fall at work but thats a good thing. Soon enough I'll be laid off for the winter and will have time for projects.
The Sunday before Thanksgiving there was an auction just over an hour away with tons of T and TT parts. The seller is in his 80's and decided it was time to downsize. He had been collecting for many decades. I met brother there as the auction was large and two rings were advertised. We wound up with a good load on my F250 while brothers 1/2 ton Chevy and 16 foot trailer were a little overloaded. We got another cab that has had lots of work already done to it such as sandblasting and small amounts of rust repairs as needed. This cab also came with doors that have rust out at the bottom but are fixable. We got wheels and another complete TT chassis as well as the back half of a third TT chassis to complete the front half of the chassis pictured in post 51. Brother says we will have enough parts to make two trucks but I'd say we are close to two trucks and a doodlebug now! We got a 1919 engine that was used as a power plant many years ago and is on a homemade cart. It is supposed to run but we have to rebuild the ignition system [buzz coils] before attempting to start it. Most items were very close to scrap price and lots of parts unfortunately went to scrappers. Such a shame it was to see a lot of those parts go to scrappers and not to other collectors. The seller even bought a few items back when he saw a scrapper was about to win the bid. I forgot the camera sale day but took these pics of the load on my pickup about a week later. Been too busy to unload so I just backed the pickup in the shed until I had the time.

Attached Thumbnails

• 054.JPG
  • 055.JPG

• MFDAC said thank you

#56 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 06:51 PM

That is a good little load there Kris. So where did you get get a lift gate, looks handy.

#57 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,605 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 09:37 PM

Lift gate came from the city dump 6 or 7 years ago. The guy that ran the dump wanted the trailer hitch and ball off it or it would have already been loaded in the big container and gone. I told him I had a chain and if he used his loader to set it in my pickup - I'd bring his hitch and ball back the next day. He thought that was a good deal.
I used to get a lot of good stuff out of the dump like welders, air compressors, mowers, chain saws, string trimmers, pressure washers - you name it. A good deal of the time nothing was wrong with the items! Then when scrap got so high all that stopped overnight.

Even my kitchen stove came from the city dump. It is a beautiful stainless steel 1962 FrigidAire Flair Custom Imperial with slide out burners and double oven. I know the house it came from on Country Club Drive and new owners were remodeling but the stove worked perfect.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#58 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 10:21 PM

Don't know why I missed this in the past but keep the updates coming. You have accumulated enuff stuff for a couple projects! I dig old trucks, even Fords-LOL, but I have a couple GMCs much newer than your T.

The first pic is me on the right working on Grandfather-In-Law's 1927 T while everyone else is laughing it up then in the second pic they stick me in the box when we go cruizin'!

When he passed away the truck got auctioned off and I couldn't buy it, unfortunately it went out of the family.

I work for the city, and have to drive a tanker truck to the dump quite often. It breaks my heart to see the stuff in the steel piles that they are just smashin' up, and if an employee is caught grabbing something you're fired on the spot.

The commercial scrappers are ruthless around here too. The 3rd and 4th pics are a mid '50s Ford tanker firetruck that was rust free and straight but it got smashed anyway, with no chance to even buy parts. I took those pics of this firetruck earlier this year.

I will be following this with great interest!

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Working on ModelT.jpg
  • Genes Model T.jpg
  • Junkyard trucks 001.jpg
  • mid 50s ford scrapped.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, December 01, 2012 - 10:23 PM.

• Gtractor and Cvans have said thanks

#59 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,605 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 01:08 PM

Been hittin the Model TT pretty hard lately.  I took the rearend completely apart and most everything looked good inside.  The only items I'm going to swap out for better ones is the axles.  The axles from the truck had pitting where the axle seals go so I am swapping in a better set from the extra axle we got at auction.  It appears the rear gears were replaced not long before the truck was retired as they are in excellent condition.  The only other thing I have to do is put in all new seals.  Once the seals arrive I can start putting things back together. 

Notice the lack of wheel cylinder for the brakes - all manual brakes on these trucks.  This is only the parking and emergency brake as the main using brake is inside the tranny.  Lose a U-joint, lose your brakes!

The rearend gears are worm drive with a reduction ratio of 7.25-1.  I found an old water heater tank cut down and made into a hog feeder out behind the barn.  It was just perfect to put a little gasoline in to clean the black tar gear oil off the internal rear parts.

While waiting on the new seals to arrive I tore into the aux. tranny.  It is a Warford brand and has three speeds.  under/direct/overdrive.   The Warford looks excellent inside as well and after a good cleaning it will get new seals. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 004.JPG
  • 003.JPG
  • 001.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#60 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,605 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:44 AM

Been a year since an update on this project.  Progress has been slow but there is some. 

I only have two speeds:  slow and dead stop!  :(

The Warford aux tranny was gone completely through.  Found one questionable bearing so it was replaced.  The offending bearing was a modern looking tapered roller unit.   I was glad to see that.   The rollers were pretty decent but the cage that held everything together just didn't look right.   The brand on the old bearing was "Gilliam".  I found out that Gilliam bearings sold out to Timken in 1925!!!!  The part number was the same and O'Reillys had no trouble getting me a new one next day. 

One of the shift rods had rusted away to a rounded off corner and the shifter didn't quite catch it like it should.  The shift rods come out the front of the tranny @ the top. Tree leaves and dirt had sat there holding moisture for many years causing the decay. I welded up the shifter rod and reshaped it to look just like the other one.  My pic is not focused but you get the idea.

337891.jpg

The main shafts [driveshaft] in and out of the tranny have no seals.  There are grooves on the shafts that "screw" or sling the oil back inside the gearcase. Apparently this was an OK way to "seal" the shafts. The problem is it allows dirt to enter the case.   This was back in the day of felt or rope packing seals that failed early and often.  Today we have neoprene seals. 

It came out looking like a brand new unit.  Speaking of brand new - You can buy this exact unit new!  Some place in Kansas City bought the rights and it is still being made today - albeit with modern seals.  Another poor pic but here is the finished product.

003.JPG