tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 06:15 PM

So my initial thoughts were right with the ones they posted being the older style?

I just went by the first part of the serial number and apparently that was wrong LOL

Yea, all the blowers start out with 1458 (then a space) it's the next set of numbers that date it. Bob P has a really early one and DH1 also has a first generation model.
  • NUTNDUN and DH1 have said thanks

#62 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 06:17 PM

Neat learn something new every day.

#63 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 06:21 PM

Our snow blower thread is the longest on all the forums to date LOL.

Yes thank you for that info Todd.

#64 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 06:23 PM

It appears that the change in style was to get rid of the separate PTO on the blower and to use the tractors PTO instead. I have never mounted the old style, but I can tell you that mounting the new style is a PITA. Although it's getting easier each time I do it, with liberal use of a floor jack.

Edited by tweidman, February 18, 2010 - 06:36 PM.

#65 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 06:30 PM

Are you able to slide yours under the tractor without jacking the tractor up? I couldn't slide mine under without jacking it. I don't know if my front tires are a lower profile or what. I didn't need to use a jack once it was under.

#66 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 06:39 PM

Are you able to slide yours under the tractor without jacking the tractor up? I couldn't slide mine under without jacking it. I don't know if my front tires are a lower profile or what. I didn't need to use a jack once it was under.

I used the jack to get it under, then used the jack again to hold up the blower frame while I put the rear pins in place. Last time I was on my back holding the frame up with my one arm as I was fumbling with the pin with the other hand. What a circus act that was. :rolling: :bash: :smilewink:

#67 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 07:11 PM

LOL I know what ya mean. I had to grind a little piece of the under frame bracket where it pins on the pto side of the mower deck attachment point. I think the bracket off the frame that the attachment piece is on is bent on mine and instead of tearing that whole assembly off and trying to straighten it and risk throwing the belt out of alignment I ground an 1/8" off the snowblower frame attachment.

#68 Bob P OFFLINE  

Bob P

• Contributor
  • Member No: 79
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 19, 2010 - 08:59 PM

That's the same one that Doug aka DH1 posted a couple posts up, it does look a lot easier to maintain and keep tensions in check. I am putting my money on that it is the earlier model. I would love to find documentation or manuals that show that design.

I found my 620 Manual in the barn and have scanned it to a file I have called "MF 620 Snow Thrower Front Model". I will upload it after I post this reply. I'm guessing that I got the manual at the same time I got the thrower (from Rammelt & Sons, MF dealer in Westfield, NY). It was on the front of a MF12 Hydro that I bought mainly for the tiller that was on the back. They insisted I take the thrower as well because they wanted it out of there! The manual that they gave me was apparently for an even earlier thrower, because someone had written on page one that the serial number was "145 800 1556", in other words (numbers?) 1458 001 1556. Mine, shown on the earlier post, is 1458 003 073. Mine looks exactly like, in all respects, the thrower in the manual. From what I can gather from this thread about mounting the later model, the earlier one is much easier. There is no need to jack up the tractor to slide the puller affair in place, no implement drive hanging down under the tractor to connect up, and no need to adjust the support arms to tension the drive belt (although the my 620 manual does suggest this method as the first approach). In the 30 inches of snow that we had in the Washington, DC area last week I found that I had to make three passes, successively lowering the thrower each time, to clear the driveway. On the first pass, with the thrower raised as high as it would go, the snow remained higher than the bottom of the transmission case and would built up to the point that the wheels would just spin, so I had to keep going forward and back to the point that the snow was lower than the undersides of the tractor. This makes me wonder how well having the drive pulleys under the tractor on the later model 620 works in deep snow. This thread inspired me to go out today and buy some hollow and solid tubular rod that I can bend and weld into a chute control crank, something I did not get with the thrower.

#69 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 19, 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hi Bob P
I have a copy of that exact MF620 manual you provided, last page shows form# date the same as mine, I don't have the equipment to put it on the computer though. At least now you know how it's suppose to mount and work. I was able to mount the one I had with bare hands just like you say.

twiedman is right though these are the early ones and there is another main mounting bracket for this type of blower, does the same thing just a little different way.
I guess it's changes in production as time went along.