Looking For Opinions On 1974-Ish Lgt165

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Blown331 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9428
  • 5 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 09:53 AM

My uncle has a LGT165 sitting outside in back of a truck. About a year ago he asked me if I wanted it and I said no, I'm having second thoughts on that now. Its got the open engine on the sides so from what I can tell that is likely 72-76? I know absolutely nothing about this model so I was looking for some opinons on it. I think its been outside for about 2 years now but it doesn't look to bad yet. It has a deck on it. I wanted to just stick with the pre-1970 Fords and maybe I should. I'm not sure I should really add a whole new model to my collection and if I did maybe it should be a 60's Cub Cadet. That or fix up the Cub Cadet I already have. It has some connecting rod noise and the deck needs a spindle or 2. I really don't have a lot of room either.
One thing I already don't like about is the ring gear starter. We had one on a 1650 Cub Cadet and it always caused problems and was super expensive. I'll try to grab a pic if I decide to persue it but I want some opinions on this model first. Is this a real nice tractor or just an ok model. Thanks.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 10:06 AM

Those are a nice heavy tractor and pretty much the same as the Jacobson GT tractors from the same years. They come up for sale here now and then and still demand a good price if in decent shape. There are operators and service manual in the manuals section if you want to take a closer look at the mechanical bits.

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,634 Thanks
  • 39,004 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 06:06 PM

I'd go for it in a heartbeat. I have the later version (post '77) and love it. Stout tractor. I had to rering mine when I got it, took the balance gears out while in there. Those could be the noise you are hearing. If they come apart, you will usually kiss the block good bye. If nothing else, get it, fix it, and sell/trade for something you want.

#4 poncho62 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 42
  • 619 Thanks
  • 1,213 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Nothing wrong with an LGT....super tough machine and the hydro is great...

#5 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,112 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 07:27 PM

If you do not want it I would like to have it. what part of the country are you in?

#6 Blown331 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9428
  • 5 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 08:04 PM

Alright I think I'm going to look into it. I'd also be saving it, its just going to turn to junk sitting outside.
The noise I was referring to is in my Cub Cadet. I've never heard this LTG165 run.
And I live on the IL side of St. Louis, probably a little far from Florida for a garden tractor.
I'm hoping to check it out with in a week. I'll get a pic.
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,225 Thanks
  • 29,691 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 07:01 AM

The ring gear starters aren't that expensive these days. One brand new one on ebay now for only $46.80 with free shipping! http://www.ebay.com/...=item27c59af08b

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 11:24 PM

I have one...and you're lucky, these are heavy duty machines, Nothing lightweight about these monsters as I am pretty sure they tip the scales around 900lbs...get it, find out what is wrong, fix it then, restore it to its true blue beauty...GL and enjoy!